PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from DC!

knzp
June 12th, 2021, 05:28 AM
Hi, I'm knzp and I like fountain pens!

I read that this forum is dedicated to nibsmithy and pen turning. While I have a hunch a nib block is somewhere in my future, at the moment I'm only casually obsessed.

Anyways, I'm pleased to make your acquaintances! If my presence here isn't unwarranted, I'm looking forward to geeking out over pens with everyone!

mizgeorge
June 12th, 2021, 06:09 AM
Hello and welcome - we like fountain pens too :)

FredRydr
June 12th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Greetings from DC!
Hello!

<sigh!> At one time, the DC suburb of Kensington was a brick and mortar epicenter of fountain pen geekdom. There was the late Bert Heiserman's The Pen Haven, where self-respecting fountain pen fans made their weekend pilgrimages for pen raconteurs and to try (and buy) great vintage pens. A short distance away was Mark Hoover's former La Belle Epoque stuffed with old European furniture that hid his massive cache of unrestored pens, parts and accessories in the back, plus racks of new hard rubber rods and celluloid slabs. Mark was never in a hurry, so one had to be patient, and to this day he's always experimenting with his new products for pen enthusiasts. And a few minutes away was Bert Oser's Bertram's Inkwell, heavily stocked with modern inventory, ink, stationary and accessories. Kensington was a magnet for pen lovers, and it easily drained the wallet.

The first two shops are memories and Mark only sells online, but Bertram's Inkwell is still going strong, having moved twice along Rockville Pike. I was there only last weekend! (Bert Oser can speak vintage pen with any of us; he runs the Baltimore/Washington Pen Show, the Raleigh Triangle Pen Show and the Miami Pen Show.)

jbb
June 12th, 2021, 06:48 AM
Welcome!

Yazeh
June 12th, 2021, 07:35 AM
:welcome:

Chrissy
June 12th, 2021, 07:47 AM
Hello and welcome. :)

Wahl
June 12th, 2021, 08:36 AM

knzp
June 12th, 2021, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Hello!

<sigh!> At one time, the DC suburb of Kensington was a brick and mortar epicenter of fountain pen geekdom. There was the late Bert Heiserman's The Pen Haven, where self-respecting fountain pen fans made their weekend pilgrimages for pen raconteurs and to try (and buy) great vintage pens. A short distance away was Mark Hoover's former La Belle Epoque stuffed with old European furniture that hid his massive cache of unrestored pens, parts and accessories in the back, plus racks of new hard rubber rods and celluloid slabs. Mark was never in a hurry, so one had to be patient, and to this day he's always experimenting with his new products for pen enthusiasts. And a few minutes away was Bert Oser's Bertram's Inkwell, heavily stocked with modern inventory, ink, stationary and accessories. Kensington was a magnet for pen lovers, and it easily drained the wallet.

The first two shops are memories and Mark only sells online, but Bertram's Inkwell is still going strong, having moved twice along Rockville Pike. I was there only last weekend! (Bert Oser can speak vintage pen with any of us; he runs the Baltimore/Washington Pen Show, the Raleigh Triangle Pen Show and the Miami Pen Show.)

This is an excellent write-up! I only moved to the area about a month ago, so it's nice to know the history of the scene in greater depth. I'll have to pay a visit to the Inkwell sometime. Cheers.

guyy
June 12th, 2021, 04:50 PM
Greetings from NYC.

Malcolm
June 13th, 2021, 02:18 AM