PDA

View Full Version : Help! New Lamy writing problems

ppengel
July 27th, 2013, 08:41 AM
So I just got my very first FP in the mail. It's a lamy al star F nib. It was writing fine at first felt like it was scratching some maybe starting slow..... but writing none the less. I took it apart to look at it parts and now it's having trouble starting very bad. And then it's skipping bad. What do I do?? Is the nib not properly put back on??:cry:

AndyT
July 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Not to worry. :) Since you've already had it apart, I'd suggest you strip it down again (no need to dismantle the converter if you have one) and reassemble it exactly as Stephen / Haemish shows in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9JRkILIL3w

If you do have a converter it will do no harm to draw up some very weak detergent solution (a couple of drops of washing up liquid in a cupful of water will do nicely), expel it and then flush through with clean water several times. (If you don't have a converter you can soak the nib feed and section in the same detergent solution for a few minutes then rinse thoroughly). Shake as much water out as possible and leave to dry. Often that flushing will work wonders on misbehaving pens. Then ink the pen up again and see what happens.

If it's no better, report back and please mention which ink you're using. As for the scatchiness, that's best dealt with once you've got a decent flow going.

ppengel
July 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Well its writing again, slow starting sometimes, but not bad like it was. It may be that I'm not used to writing with an FP since its my first one. It's still super scratchy. I get feedback on every paper I've tried. And as for the ink.. I have the lamy blue cartridge that came with the pen in it right now, and I'm currently ordering new ink. I don't think I care for anything about it, the color, the shading, the dry time. So I think I'll give something else a try.

KrazyIvan
July 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Lamy's come pretested from the factory with blue ink. Some dry ink may be hampering the flow or it may be paper fibers between the tines, assuming proper nib alignment.

AndyT
July 29th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Well its writing again, slow starting sometimes, but not bad like it was. It may be that I'm not used to writing with an FP since its my first one. It's still super scratchy. I get feedback on every paper I've tried. And as for the ink.. I have the lamy blue cartridge that came with the pen in it right now, and I'm currently ordering new ink. I don't think I care for anything about it, the color, the shading, the dry time. So I think I'll give something else a try.

Okay. If you've flushed it out that should have eliminated any greasy contaminants or surface tension issues, so trying another ink is a logical progression. (I'm not sure about Lamy ink. I do have a bottle of green, but never use it neat because it turned out to be too ... well, green. Maybe a little on the dry side).

As for the scratchiness, it being a fine won't help. People who think a complete absence of feedback is a good thing often seem to favour broader nibs for just that reason. Since the tip is small, it's going to be easy to tilt the pen so that the tines aren't contacting the paper evenly without realising it. That's something to practice carefully before you lay the blame on the nib. If that doesn't help, a 10x magnifier of some sort is going to come in handy shortly ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char156.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Cake
July 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
I believe once you obtain another ink (and I presume you've ordered a converter?), the pen will write more satisfactorily. For every Lamy Safari and Al-Star I've purchased I toss the supplied, blue ink cartridges aside, clean the pen, let it dry a bit, then fill up a converter from a bottle of ink. Hope that helps!

ppengel
July 29th, 2013, 08:04 PM

Okay. If you've flushed it out that should have eliminated any greasy contaminants or surface tension issues, so trying another ink is a logical progression. (I'm not sure about Lamy ink. I do have a bottle of green, but never use it neat because it turned out to be too ... well, green. Maybe a little on the dry side).

As for the scratchiness, it being a fine won't help. People who think a complete absence of feedback is a good thing often seem to favour broader nibs for just that reason. Since the tip is small, it's going to be easy to tilt the pen so that the tines aren't contacting the paper evenly without realising it. That's something to practice carefully before you lay the blame on the nib. If that doesn't help, a 10x magnifier of some sort is going to come in handy shortly ... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char156.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I too wondered if the scratchiness was because I selected the fine nib, but Classmate just got the neon with a fine nib and I believe it writes much smoother than mine. although I presume that could be a relative statement since I was simply trying it out to see if I like the F nib and I'm putting a few more miles on mine with note taking. I'm thinking I'm going to flush it again. Last time I simply soaked it (I'm a newbie and I didn't know how to fill my converter) but I think that just soaking helped so maybe a good flush would be better.

I'm hoping that's get it all worked out because for note taking on reduced size slides a fine tip can really help. But my professor let me try all of his different pens since I'm new to FPs (lamy f,m &b) and another pen that he's had the nib worked on tho be extra extra fine (and I only got to hold the Mont Blanc 149 haha he loves that pen). And I decided I needed another already so I might find a larger nib suits me better.

ppengel
July 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I believe once you obtain another ink (and I presume you've ordered a converter?), the pen will write more satisfactorily. For every Lamy Safari and Al-Star I've purchased I toss the supplied, blue ink cartridges aside, clean the pen, let it dry a bit, then fill up a converter from a bottle of ink. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the feedback, that makes me fell better. I did get a converter and I just learned how to fill it today. I ordered some new ink, so as soon as it gets here I think I'll flush it out and try that!

jetimindtrick
July 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I'm new here so I'm not sure I should give anyone advise,but, has anyone mentioned a brown paper bag?

ppengel
July 30th, 2013, 12:22 AM
I'm new here so I'm not sure I should give anyone advise,but, has anyone mentioned a brown paper bag?

no! what does a brown paper bag do? im very new to fountain pens so any advise is welcome!

Tony Rex
July 30th, 2013, 01:01 AM
A few laps on it can simulate prolonged use therefore will 'smooth' a new nib. However, since you're new to FP and there's no knowing the grit of your brown bag, I wouldn't do it (for now). Just do AndyT's suggestion of flushing with weak detergent and changing the ink first.

Ivan mentioned "assuming tines alignment" means you need to make sure the tines are aligned. http://kcavers.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/basic-fountain-pen-nib-adjustment-101.html

T

Bogon07
July 30th, 2013, 04:12 AM
As per KrazyIvan's suggestion clean your pen because Lamy test their pens with a blue ink and sometimes you may need to remove the nib an clean its underside of any old ink residue.
Have a look at Goulet pens videos like cleaning a new Lamy
http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=308
also check their other videos on Lamy pens including the different types of converter (your Al-Star can use both types with no problem)
http://www.gouletpens.com/Pen_Use_s/1131.htm

I have had major problems with blue cartridges before.

Try a different ink and paper* before doing anything drastic to the nib.
* Rhodia or Clairefontaine notebooks have fairly smooth papers.

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 04:16 AM
what does a brown paper bag do?

Divides opinion, mostly. You could think of it as a sheet of fine abrasive paper of completely unknown grade and consistency which could be used for some rather haphazard nib smoothing, at a pinch. There are much more reliable alternatives, but nothing else as cheap.

Anyway, a scratchy nib is quite likely a symptom of misaligned tines, and there's no point in doing any smoothing until you've ascertained whether that's the case, and if so corrected it. The most effective way to diagnose and solve a problem like this is to change one variable at a time, and next up is a change of ink. The idea being that you start with straightforward things like flushing and trying another ink before making physical alterations which may well void your warranty.

ppengel
July 30th, 2013, 09:57 AM
I did watch those videos yesterday!

I just looked at the nib after re-reading some of these posts, and it appears that the tines are not aligned, its easily visible to the naked eye. In fact it almost looks as if there is a dent or something, but ill have to look closer.

kenmc
July 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I would bet there is a defect in your pen. I have a few dozen Lamys and never had any to be picky about ink or paper. Of course - course/rough paper isn't going to be as smooth but it should still not be a problem. I have noticed that the black nibs I have are never as smooth as the chrome ones. I have found these Lamy nibs to be very tolerant to alignment unlike most nibs. My wife bares down VERY hard when she writes and the AlStar I bought her now has a nib that has a severe bend upwards yet still the fine nib writes without flaw.

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 11:45 AM
... it appears that the tines are not aligned, its easily visible to the naked eye. In fact it almost looks as if there is a dent or something, but ill have to look closer.

If you can see it with the naked eye, that's conclusive and merits a replacement or refund assuming it arrived in that state.

jetimindtrick
July 30th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Like i said, i'm new so ...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

ppengel
July 30th, 2013, 01:21 PM
... it appears that the tines are not aligned, its easily visible to the naked eye. In fact it almost looks as if there is a dent or something, but ill have to look closer.

If you can see it with the naked eye, that's conclusive and merits a replacement or refund assuming it arrived in that state.

I'm going to see about getting a replacement nib. I did remove it shortly after receiving it, using tape. It was when I put it back together I first noticed problems. But to be fair I really didn't write with it or try to take notes before. Then it was not starting and it was skipping so I soaked it and got a good ink flow, but it continued to be scratchy. It literally makes noise. I aligned the tines better but one of them appears to have a dent. It's bent. So even though the tines are better aligned, there's a gap in the slit that leaks a good amount of ink. I wondered why it always seemed like there was so much ink when I uncapped it.

KrazyIvan
July 30th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Okay, to the OP. How much pressure are you exerting on the nib when you write? Fountain pens do not require a lot of pressure to write. It could also be that you bent the tines on accident while writing. The other thing could be that when you took the pen apart, you bent the tines. It's not hard to do and very possible if you force the nib wrong when removing or putting the nib back on the feed.

The following is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of nibmiesters or would-be nibmiesters across the globe. I think I spelled nibmiester wrong but oh well.

On the brown paper bag trick, the word of caution while well meaning, may not be entirely accurate. I am speaking from first hand knowledge that comes from grinding and smoothing my own nibs but as with anything fountain pen related, a disclaimer is warranted because it seems like the politically correct thing to do. :p

You may be able to do damage. Really, It is not that easy to ruin an iridium point with a paper bag. Now, yes, pure "iridium" points are debatable and it's probably wise to leave that for another thread. I use the term generically to refer to the nib tipping. Whatever alloy that is used on the tipping, I think we can agree, is very, very hard. Nibs need the hard tipping in order to last.

When you use a paper bag you are essentially polishing the tipping and getting rid of micro burrs. Unless the paper bag is made of 600 grit sandpaper, okay, 2000 grit sandpaper, okay, __ insert grit here __ sandpapaper/mylar paper, you are going to need a very long paper bag smoothing session to cause any real damage. I grind nibs on honing stones that some would not even consider using as a nib grinding tool. I use a Dremel with the green stone that makes some cringe and they come out very smooth. This by opinions not my own. Again, this is what I do and I know some would chastise me for even suggesting it. That's partly why I am a Fountain Pen Sith Lord... and I'm KrazyIvan. :D I am still working on how to make a nib point last forever. :crazy_pilot: :butcher::p

AndyT
July 30th, 2013, 04:43 PM
On the brown paper bag trick, the word of caution while well meaning, may not be entirely accurate.

I agree with you, Ivan: my point about the paper bag trick is that you can't predict what (if anything) you're going to achieve. It would certainly take a lot of elbow grease to do much damage. My intention was to point out that there are far more efficient ways to go about smoothing, not to put anyone off giving it a go.

Anyway, slipping off topic for a moment, there's an awful lot of folklore about the abrasive properties of cellulose based materials, and it's made for some, ahem, fascinating discussions in the razor sharpening fraternity over the years. (Now there's a truly geeky subject). For what it's worth, my take is that old newsprint with plenty of lead-based ink on it definitely works, not so convinced about anything else though.

I'm interested in which hones you use, Ivan. Just about every hard stone in my collection has had a go at a nib one way or another: current favourite is a Thuringian razor hone.

ppengel
July 30th, 2013, 08:54 PM
KI your very right, I might have messed it up, I am new to fps and I might have been applying too much pressure. And it was very slow starting and was skipping so I think its possible that I applied too much pressure. I don't think it was when I took it apart bc I was so ridiculously careful (because I didn't want to mess it up). In reality I'll never know if that was the case or if it arrived in that way. I didn't know to check for tine alignment, or to flush the pen, or what could be wrong with it; which is the purpose of this thread! But through this process I have learned a lot about my pen and FPs in general, and I will know the steps to take and things to start checking when I get my new pen (I'm already addicted).

I don't really want to send the pen back and try to deal with that so I'll probably just buy a new nib. It just seems like the appropriate and simple solution. With it being bent I don't think I'll ever be able to really align them properly, and a new nib is cheaper than having it worked on.

I would like to thank everyone for your help!!!

Any suggestions on where to get a good price on a replacement nib?

jetimindtrick
July 30th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Goulet has them on sale for 9$

jetimindtrick
July 30th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Also get some proper paper if you don't have some already. Makes a huge difference.

Banditapple are quality for the price.

Sailor Kenshin
July 31st, 2013, 08:20 AM
KI your very right, I might have messed it up, I am new to fps and I might have been applying too much pressure. And it was very slow starting and was skipping so I think its possible that I applied too much pressure. I don't think it was when I took it apart bc I was so ridiculously careful (because I didn't want to mess it up). In reality I'll never know if that was the case or if it arrived in that way. I didn't know to check for tine alignment, or to flush the pen, or what could be wrong with it; which is the purpose of this thread! But through this process I have learned a lot about my pen and FPs in general, and I will know the steps to take and things to start checking when I get my new pen (I'm already addicted).

I don't really want to send the pen back and try to deal with that so I'll probably just buy a new nib. It just seems like the appropriate and simple solution. With it being bent I don't think I'll ever be able to really align them properly, and a new nib is cheaper than having it worked on.

I would like to thank everyone for your help!!!

Any suggestions on where to get a good price on a replacement nib?

Once you replace the nib...Keep the old nib, for some day you may want to tinker with it, and it's not difficult.

For smoothing, girly manicure tools, aka buff sticks, beat brown paper hands down. Even the pros use them.

KrazyIvan
July 31st, 2013, 10:19 AM
If you send me the old nib I can realign it for you, if it is not too bent out of shape. It will just cost you the postage. PM me if interested.