PDA

View Full Version : Lamy 2013 Limited Edition Colors --- Meh

AtomicLeo
July 27th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I'm I the only one that's not impressed with any of the Lamy Al-Star/Safari limited edition colors this year? The black Al-Star is the only one that I might buy, but even that color does not appeal to me. It's black. Like 80% of the pens available today. Doesn't stand out at all, and didn't the neon pink and yellow go out of style with the 80's?

_sigh_ When are the 2014 colors going to be announced?

Moxoftritonytes
July 27th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Screaming colours are out - roaring colours are in.

tandaina
July 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I also find them uninteresting.

Mesu
July 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM
I love the Safaris with red clip. They add character to the pen. Steel clip is too common.

I wish they release limited editions with matching clips :bounce:

KrazyIvan
July 27th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I purchased the black LE Al-Star. It matches my cape.

79spitfire
July 27th, 2013, 12:14 PM
I purchased the black LE Al-Star. It matches my cape.

It will look good when terrorizing Rebel scum...

79spitfire
July 27th, 2013, 12:16 PM
I did buy a Neon, I needed something with bright colors, it made me smile.

da vinci
July 27th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I bought a neon - its a bit different. But am very disappointed in a pink re-release limited edition. Why do this when there are so many other colours to choose from that have not been used yet?

jacksterp
July 27th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Trying to convince myself re: the black Al-Star. When it first came out I was a lot more excited than I am now...

We'll see.

pencils+pens
July 27th, 2013, 04:16 PM
My pink Safari arrived today. It is my third pink pen. I like it. It will be used solely for writing cards and notes to my wife. She thinks I'm nutz but she likes the cards and notes.

Toffer
July 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM
I was going to get the re run pink but they are not selling it in Europe apparently!! Would buy it from Goulet pens but the postage is a bit much!

snedwos
July 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Was the pearl 2013? I have one of those, and like it a huge amount. Hmph... I don¡t think I get the whole "stealth pen" craze. I really like some of them, but the way every maker has jumped on the bandwagon seems a bit gratuitous and boring.

AtomicLeo
July 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Was the pearl 2013? I have one of those, and like it a huge amount. Hmph... I don¡t think I get the whole "stealth pen" craze. I really like some of them, but the way every maker has jumped on the bandwagon seems a bit gratuitous and boring.

I agree on the stealth craze. It's an interesting limited edition when your company does _not_ offer a black pen, otherwise it's just silly. Lamy already has two standard black pens. I love my Charcoal Safari, but I'm not interested in adding a black Al Star.

I had forgotten about the pearl. Not a color I personally like, but at least it is not a re-release (pink), bright neon which should be left in the 1980s along with shoulder pad, and black. _meh_

I saw another post suggesting that Lamy change the clip colors. Now that sounds interesting.

tandaina
July 28th, 2013, 02:25 PM
I do like my pearl. Only modern Lamy I own.

I'd LIKE a coffee and a raspberry reissue. But what I'd REALLY love is a reissue of the classic Lamy 27 in fun colors. Yes piston filler, yes gold nib in things like OM, OB, OBB. THAT I'd collect like CRAZY and THAT I'd pay really good money for. Like I'd be waiting in line if they did that.

velo
July 28th, 2013, 07:46 PM
I don't mind the stealth look when it's the charcoal safari, matte black VP or even the Sailer Pro Gear Imperial. Some of the others look a bit over the top especially with the large dark nibs.

Cake
July 29th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I purchased the Neon Yellow and re-run Pink Safaris and like them. I missed the boat the other 2 times the pink came around as I'm new to fountain pens.
Thought I'd like to buy the Matte Black, but still on the fence as I have a charcoal Safari. Hoping for something zesty next year, cough purple cough.

da vinci
July 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Apologies, posted in error

da vinci
July 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I was going to get the re run pink but they are not selling it in Europe apparently!! Would buy it from Goulet pens but the postage is a bit much!

That is annoying! Have you spoken to a Lamy dealer in the UK to get this?

Bogon07
July 30th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Yep, the Pearl was a 2013 LE. I think Lamy may have decided to do two this year due to not having an Al-Star LE in 2012.

I don't get why people persist in calling the black Al-Star perhaps because it appeared without much advance notice. It has a satin finish not matt, the nib and clip are both glossy black; hardly stealthy finish. Anyway the Al-Star needed a black in its line up.

More baffling is why Lamy are releasing the pink in the same dusky tone for the 3rd time - why not a brighter pink ?

I'm wishing they will release a dark green for either the Safari, Al-Star or Studio for 2014.

Toffer
July 31st, 2013, 02:56 AM

That is annoying! Have you spoken to a Lamy dealer in the UK to get this?

No I emailed a shop as I couldn't seem to find one, and they said a few people had asked them so they contacted Lamy who said the above.

bigmac53
February 17th, 2014, 06:33 AM
I like the neon, I feel like the limited colors should be interesting and loud