PDA

View Full Version : Waterman's IDEALS 42 safety pen Need help.

Cyril
June 21st, 2021, 04:27 PM
I just bought a waterman safety pen. It needs full restore plus repair.
No idea what is the real condition of this pen until I receive it and see it.
Anybody have any advise how to do it. Or how to get help?? Really appreciate all of your expertise points here what to do next and my sincere thanks in advance.:)

The nib is a broad italic type. Need lot of cleaning and replacing parts. There's a small crack on the cap I am not sure but I can fix it easily.

guyy
June 21st, 2021, 06:05 PM
David Nishimura has some instructions here: https://vintagepens.com/FAQrepair/Waterman_safety_repair.shtml

Farmboy
June 21st, 2021, 08:55 PM
How might you fix the crack ?

Cyril
June 22nd, 2021, 09:10 AM
Yes there's serious crack.
I am going to use the baking soda and super glue mix with appropriate colouring and
perhaps using a thin mesh clothing underneath and policing to get a smoothness in side to keep the screw thread working.
Or use the Epoxy racin duel mix and colouring and polish back.

Cyril
July 1st, 2021, 12:03 PM

I was able to manage to disassemble the pen to clean off century old ink gunk. It is shinny and clean.
This one was a very difficult thing than I guessed to remove all parts of this pen without getting trouble of braking any parts.
The most funny thing was to remove the nib from the feed. Although I left the part in mix soppy water for hours it never moved.
Then I thought I put drops of oil and I used few drops mineral oil. Then it worked.
All the pieces are clean and polished and the crack in the cap is fixed and cured halfway so century old cap will be again be in service .
Now the main thing is to replace the washers/ O-ring with out that the pen is completely unusable.
When I try to do dip test writing the nib rolls back,goes back to the shell. It seems the nib mechanism too get locked by vacuums pressure to write with this pen. So it needs sealed back.
This is all the learning I got from this pen. I am not a pen collector but I love this pen as historical piece to be among my pens as a collection piece.

Cyril
July 1st, 2021, 12:11 PM
David Nishimura has some instructions here: https://vintagepens.com/FAQrepair/Waterman_safety_repair.shtml

Cheers guyy :) for the link and it was very helpful info. I did half of what I could do.

Scrawler
July 14th, 2021, 03:36 PM
That looks like a very nice flex stub signature nib. I would like to see a writing sample some time if it is not too much trouble.

Cyril
July 19th, 2021, 07:13 AM
That looks like a very nice flex stub signature nib. I would like to see a writing sample some time if it is not too much trouble.

Yes this nib is a Medium-broad cursive italic type (Stub- some people may call it )

I had it some where . I'll do it again. It it hard to do a dip writing on this pen as nib mechanism now. The nib movement get locked automatically when pen it is retrieve and it stays immobilise to the position with the piston pressure. As it has no piston rubber
O-Ring, I have to use a scotch tape to lock the nib or otherwise nib movers back to the barrel :) the spiral nib rotations is so loose it is not a not a screw type friction mechanism.
I'll do it soon next!!