PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51

Charles Farrell
January 16th, 2012, 05:09 AM
A friend who was cleaning house, gave me two Parker 51's! They both need work. It was my lucky day!

Charles Farrell

manoeuver
January 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Bam! Nice. Now you can write two novels, and edit them once the pens are fixed. right?

eriquito
January 16th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Gosh, I need to find a friend like that!

That's great Charles! Have a picture? =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

snedwos
June 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Am I really strange in not particularly liking the 51? I think it's just that I have a thing against hooded nibs. Pens with those look to me like they're ashamed of what they are, and are trying really hard to be ballpoints. Oddest inferiority complex EVAR, imho.

goldiesdad
June 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Great pen, Hopefully he took care of it and it writes ... Congrats

KrazyIvan
June 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Am I really strange in not particularly liking the 51? I think it's just that I have a thing against hooded nibs. Pens with those look to me like they're ashamed of what they are, and are trying really hard to be ballpoints. Oddest inferiority complex EVAR, imho.

I have trouble with hooded nibs so I feel your pain. I understand the reasoning behind the hooded nib but I just can't use them. I found this out after 4-5 hooded nib pens. :p

manoeuver
June 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
I just inked up my 51 yesterday. It was a NOS special my folks got me when I finally finished college.

God it writes nice.

pajaro
August 10th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I love 51s and have several inked including a stub and English burgundy medium. I love hooded nibs and have several other than the 51, including a MB 32, Jinhao, and others.

wastelanded
May 16th, 2013, 03:59 AM

I didn't like them either: hooded nib, tapered section, usually that's two strikes for me. Then I tried one with a bold nib and that was it. Marvellous magical mojo pen, filled with Tsuyu-kusa it's heaven. Still can't explain it.

Mags
May 16th, 2013, 05:08 AM

I didn't like them either: hooded nib, tapered section, usually that's two strikes for me. Then I tried one with a bold nib and that was it. Marvellous magical mojo pen, filled with Tsuyu-kusa it's heaven. Still can't explain it.

Wastelanded did you see my 1.3mm stub Minushkin nib Parker 51 at the Toronto pen posse meeting? If you like bold you will love this pen that Jay actually sold to me.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

wastelanded
May 17th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Wastelanded did you see my 1.3mm stub Minushkin nib Parker 51 at the Toronto pen posse meeting? If you like bold you will love this pen that Jay actually sold to me.

I don't thinks so, Mags: will you be bringing it tomorrow? I'm finally able to make it to a meet. I'll be bringing the English, hoping to get some advice on a makeover. I'm not one for cosmetics, but I think she deserves it.

Mags
May 17th, 2013, 07:59 PM

I don't thinks so, Mags: will you be bringing it tomorrow? I'm finally able to make it to a meet. I'll be bringing the English, hoping to get some advice on a makeover. I'm not one for cosmetics, but I think she deserves it.

I can not make the meet...sorry. If you do go bring your first pen, everyone is and taking 1-2 minutes to talk about their first fountain pen in their collection.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

ndw76
May 21st, 2013, 06:59 AM
I used to hate hooded nib pens. But then I bought a Hero 329, just because it was cheap. That tipped me over to the dark side as they say and this morning I purchased my first 51.

BrianMcQueen
May 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM

Yes, you are strange. LOL

Runnin_Ute
July 6th, 2014, 10:00 PM
For me my first hooded nib, was the semi hooded nib of a 45 Flighter. I got one with a 14k nib, then awhile later another 45 burgundy, steel nib. My first 51 - a Special arrived this past Thursday. It took months of just looking at a 45 Flighter photo online before I pulled the trigger on one. Better part of a year actually. Wasn't sure I would like the hooded nib. They won't become the primary focus of my collection, as I still love standard exposed nibs. But they are my favorite Parkers.

kidde
July 14th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I'm one of those who couldn't see what the commotion was about. Plastic, all rounded edges, hidded (oops, hooded) nib, slip cap and won't take cartridges. Then I found someone selling their pen collection with a Cross, Esterbrook and five "51" Vacs (two in cases with matching pencils). So I bit. Two "51"s worked and three needed diaphragms, actually one is also in need of a nib having lost half a time. Once again I realized I was too smart for my own good. I find that generally when large groups like the same thing it's for a reason.

Paul

maksim
July 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM
Got my 51. Amazing pen. Crazy that it writes as well as $500 MB's.

Hawk
August 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Most of my pens have exposed nibs because, fountain pens are supposed to have the nibs showing. They are beautiful. With that mindset I disliked the Parker 51. When I was younger, I found a 21 with a cracked body and another one that had a section that was mangled. A few months ago I put them together, black section and a green body and I liked the way the ink flowed and how it felt in my hand. I just wanted a beater pen. Now I'm hopelessly locked into the 51’s and have a small collection of them. Some are super nice and some are nice and I like all of them.

gbryal
August 26th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I like the shape of a nib, reminds me I am using a fountain pen, and the look of it is not so far from the dip pens that came before. I just picked up a 45 and 51 though because everyone seems to be so in love with them, so thought I'd give them a chance.

Hawk
August 26th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I agree. I guess I kinda fell in love for the 51 is that it was a modern looking pen, ahead of its time. Besides, it's about as old as I am (I don't look that good).