PDA

View Full Version : Black swan in English Roses

Yazeh
July 8th, 2021, 12:05 PM
Black swan in English Roses

I love inks with a story. This is one of them.

The quintessential English rose, the Rose of York, is a white rose. Obviously this is not it.

However, Nathan’s inspiration of this ink is the memory of a British Lady who visited her mother’s garden when he was a child. And this ink is indeed a homage to her, the first British person he ever met. The lady avoided looking at the poppies, reminding her of the loss she endured during the great war and focused on the roses. One can say that Black Swan in English Roses is a poppy by extension, and the title and artwork englobe the ‘innocence” of prewar and the “coming of age” of post war.

You can check this video (thanks to INeedAFinancialAdvisor)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFFy3xIkcA

This is an extremely well-behaved ink and ghosting and bleed through are non-existent even on Hillroy copy paper, which ghosts bic and pencil. Dry time is reasonable on non absorbent papers, though apparently in its earlier incarnations it was not.

Back

Ink is quite water resistant:
After 15 seconds under running water

Sample text on Tome River 68gr

Hammermill
HP32 gr.

Comparaison

• Pen used: Noodler’s Ahab, Lamy Safari broad
• Shading: Yes
• Ghosting: None
• Bleed through: None.
• Flow Rate: Wet
• Lubrication: Nice
• Nib Dry-out:
• Start-up:
• Saturation: Rich and dark.
• Shading delightful
• Sheen: None, thankfully.
• Spread None seen.
• Nib Creep None
• Staining: No.
• Clogging: Nope
• Water resistance: Water resistant
• Availability: Only in bottle 90 ml bottles.

junglejim
July 8th, 2021, 01:05 PM
Ohh, I REALLY like that color! Anderson pens show it as a crappy brown, which has always put me off from ordering a sample/bottle.

https://andersonpens.com/noodlers-black-swan-in-english-roses-ink-3oz-bottle/

Brilliant Bill
July 8th, 2021, 02:33 PM
Thanks. I'd forgotten about this ink. Have to get it out and stick it in something.

Yazeh
July 8th, 2021, 05:23 PM
Ohh, I REALLY like that color! Anderson pens show it as a crappy brown, which has always put me off from ordering a sample/bottle.

It's truly lovely ink.The swabs are often misleading. Note however that I use a wet Ahab flex and broad safari..... :D

Thanks. I'd forgotten about this ink. Have to get it out and stick it in something.
It's fun to be reminded of what we have... :)

Sailor Kenshin
July 8th, 2021, 06:11 PM

My sample of Black Swan in English Roses was a brick color.

Chrissy
July 9th, 2021, 03:59 AM

Me too! I also thought it was quite brown compared with the Australian version

Black swan in English Roses
I love inks with a story. This is one of them.

The quintessential English rose, the Rose of York, is a white rose. Obviously this is not it.
Fingers crossed there are no members from Lancashire around here. ;)

mizgeorge
July 9th, 2021, 06:51 AM
I do enjoy your reviews Yazeh! Just not enough to make me buy this one ;)

Yazeh
July 9th, 2021, 08:12 AM
My sample of Black Swan in English Roses was a brick color.

Me too! I also thought it was quite brown compared with the Australian version

A brick for you... TR paper / Hammermill copy paper :D

Yazeh
July 9th, 2021, 08:14 AM
I do enjoy your reviews Yazeh! Just not enough to make me buy this one ;)

That's enough for me :cool:

Sailor Kenshin
July 9th, 2021, 08:22 AM
Saw the review, watched the video. Heaven help me....someone! stop me from buying this!

Yazeh
July 9th, 2021, 09:12 AM
Saw the review, watched the video. Heaven help me....someone! stop me from buying this!

You don't like brick colour ;)

Detman101
July 9th, 2021, 09:27 AM
Very nice.
Same color as the off-brand "Cherry Cola" I drank as a kid in NYC...

Yazeh
July 9th, 2021, 09:56 AM
Very nice.

I have to admit the few times, I had cherry cola, I drank it straight from the can. I had no idea what it looked like, but I trust you on that.... :)

Detman101
July 9th, 2021, 12:06 PM
Very nice.

I have to admit the few times, I had cherry cola, I drank it straight from the can. I had no idea what it looked like, but I trust you on that.... :)

Hehe...I'm famous for playing with my food/drinks (all my old friends hated it).

Yazeh
July 9th, 2021, 01:36 PM
Very nice.

Hehe...I'm famous for playing with my food/drinks (all my old friends hated it).

I can see now you're playing with your inks.... I don't mind ;) :D

Malcolm
July 10th, 2021, 04:15 AM
Fingers crossed there are no members from Lancashire around here. ;)

That would be me, though I do live in Yorkshire now.

:fencing:

I haven't tried English Roses, but I do enjoy the Australian.

Thank you for the review, Yazeh.

Yazeh
July 10th, 2021, 04:44 AM
Thanks Malcolm.
I don't want to start another war...

My peace offering... York and Lancaster, though according to some it was bred in what is now, Belgium... (I might be starting another war ;))
https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/fs/487/249662.jpg

Chrissy
July 10th, 2021, 04:45 AM
Thanks Malcolm.
I don't want to start another war...

My peace offering... York and Lancaster, though according to some it was bred in what is now, Belgium... (I might be starting another war ;))

I just wouldn't have gone there. :D

INeedAFinancialAdvisor
July 10th, 2021, 11:41 AM
do it... buy the ink... :D

Very nice.
... now I have this stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6QwYzPKOZw

but I guess that's ok, since I love that band.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2021, 11:59 AM
Lovely work, as we are getting used to!

However, count me in on the crowd a bit baffled by the color. I started using these inks 10-11 years ago. I had bottles of both English Roses and Australian Roses. I used them both, but AU was the one that leaned dark purple, and English was most *definitely* a dark brown undernote, unmistakable when the two were next to each other. I am seriously questioning if the formula has changed over time or if your bottle was mislabeled. It doesn't matter in the long run, unless it is incorrect and you buy another and get a different look!

I eventually gave away my English, not enjoying the brown tones, and have kept AU Roses as one of only 2-3 Noodlers inks I have kept in my inventory over the last decade. I will look to see if I kept a sample vial of the English and do a comparison. There are so many past reviews of this ink in the brown spectrum that I don't think it can be chalked up to poor scanning, etc.

Anyway, the bottom line is it is a nice review. A rose by any other name, eh? :D

Yazeh
July 10th, 2021, 12:21 PM
Thanks Jon, much appreciated.

It is possible that my sample was mislabeled. Or simply Nathan, changed the formula. If I recall well there were different iterations of the Aussie. I don't know about the English.

Here are my swabs side by side:

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2021, 12:40 PM
Well, that highlights the differences, for certain. Most of my early use, and the buying of the stuff, was many years ago. I live off the 3 bottles of AU I still have. And I was around and aware when the formula changed, and then changed back, on the AU, due to a temporary loss of one of the dye components. I think it is likely that your bottle is properly labeled and that the formula for English has just gotten less brown at some point over the years.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but if you like these two, the recent "reddit-created" Diamine ink named "Writer's Blood" is right in this neighborhood of colors/tones.

Chrissy
July 11th, 2021, 02:07 AM
Well, that highlights the differences, for certain. Most of my early use, and the buying of the stuff, was many years ago. I live off the 3 bottles of AU I still have. And I was around and aware when the formula changed, and then changed back, on the AU, due to a temporary loss of one of the dye components. I think it is likely that your bottle is properly labeled and that the formula for English has just gotten less brown at some point over the years.

I don't know if you are familiar with it, but if you like these two, the recent "reddit-created" Diamine ink named "Writer's Blood" is right in this neighborhood of colors/tones.
Maybe Writer's Blood (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/33834-Ink-Review-Diamine-Writer-s-Blood) comes up a darker, more saturated shade of this type of red?

Jon Szanto
July 11th, 2021, 09:23 PM
I had the night off so I looked for the remainder of the bottle of English Roses - success! Be aware that this ink is ~10 years old, as is the Aus. Roses. I did two very quick comparisons using those two inks and a newer, similar ink, Diamine "Writer's Blood", which was this years collaborative ink with the reddit fountain pen community.

The interesting thing is how similar the inks present in line/print (using a glass dip pen) and how different when swabbing. You can extrapolate for yourselves how the inks would play out with broader or flex nibs, as Yazeh has amply shown. I wasn't expecting a very big difference in viscosity with the Diamine, which is noticeably thicker (or flowed more), yielding more ink on the page and running out quicker. The first example is on a generic notepad paper purchased at a Daiso store, the 2nd on cream Tomoe River. No correction to the scans, etc, just a very quick comparison. The point, in my little brain, was "why do I remember ER as being so brownish?". I guess this is why, and how the formula may have changed over the years.

https://i.imgur.com/7a4hzODh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/KaviVWZh.jpg

Chrissy
July 12th, 2021, 12:03 AM
That's how I remembered BSIAR and BSIER too. :) And reminds me why I didn't buy either of them.

Yazeh
July 12th, 2021, 03:48 AM
Wow. Thanks Jon.
The colours have changed so drastically.
On the generic notebook they almost look identical. On TR Aussie is much darker, which isn't the case anymore.
Ironically the swabs looks identical.
The writer's blood swab, reminds me of nice burgundy wine.

Jon Szanto
July 12th, 2021, 11:03 AM
On the generic notebook they almost look identical. On TR Aussie is much darker, which isn't the case anymore.
Ironically the swabs looks identical.

I always try to be as consistent as possible, but even using the glass dip pen, sometimes you lay down more ink on one pass than another. However, it does bring up an issue: I often see people posting samples of inks, relying primarily on a big swab. I, however, am not an artist and don't paint with my inks, I write with them! So the concept of showing what an ink looks like in a pen somewhat like what I'd write with is a lot more valuable. The swabs above show a remarkable difference in colors and shades, but the writing? Not so much. This can really impact whether I buy an ink based on "well, this is really different" when, in fact and in use, it looks a lot like others I have.

Yazeh
July 12th, 2021, 01:45 PM
@Jon Szanto, so true. I often find swabs misleading, whether for inks or painting a room! IN the former one has to extrapolate to a writing a line in the latter to a whole room.... :D