PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Key hole NO 4 Nib.

Cyril
July 13th, 2021, 07:38 AM

I know perhaps you must be having these nib as a stock nib on your waterman.

-Brown Key hole
-purple Key hole
-pink Key hole
- Blue Key hole Etc , Etc.
But there are Just plane key hole Nibs marked as Ideal / Canada / New York/ England
I have found one and I am attaching a photo. It looks a general nib. But has a slight crack.
( If I get this nib I am going to a Jeweller to get it mended by Electric welding ););)

Anyone have any idea what.s the quality and characteristic in those nibs ?

Scrawler
July 14th, 2021, 03:33 PM
I like key hole nibs. I have a few in sizes 5 and 7 but this is the first 4 I have seen. The #7 has a range of colours associated with it ranging from quite stiff (brown) to quite flexible (pink). I don't know how that relates to the smaller #4 though.

Seattleite
July 18th, 2021, 07:30 AM
I have never seen a No 4 marked keyhole either, though I have seen unmarked (as to size), keyhole nibs on #94 pens. I have seen Keyhole nibs with/without color codes and numbers, but never a 4. Very nice. What really caught my eye is the crack on your nib. It is right where you would expect one to propagate from. I think that what is strange is that I have only seen a few Keyhole nibs crack in this way over the years. This says a lot about Waterman's metallurgy and processing.

Waterman's really made fantastic nibs back in the day.

Bob

Cyril
July 18th, 2021, 03:51 PM
I like key hole nibs. I have a few in sizes 5 and 7 but this is the first 4 I have seen. The #7 has a range of colours associated with it ranging from quite stiff (brown) to quite flexible (pink). I don't know how that relates to the smaller #4 though.

I have never seen a No 4 marked keyhole either, though I have seen unmarked (as to size), keyhole nibs on #94 pens. I have seen Keyhole nibs with/without color codes and numbers, but never a 4. Very nice. What really caught my eye is the crack on your nib. It is right where you would expect one to propagate from. I think that what is strange is that I have only seen a few Keyhole nibs crack in this way over the years. This says a lot about Waterman's metallurgy and processing.

Waterman's really made fantastic nibs back in the day.

Bob

Thank you both for the answers,
I am guessing this nib is still usable and think it is a good nib to try although it is a rare find from Waterman.
Also I am expecting to find some one ( jeweller) to fix the crack which is just apperaring. Thanks for the answers here and your share. :)

Scrawler
July 18th, 2021, 03:59 PM
Thank you both for the answers,
I am guessing this nib is still usable and think it is a good nib to try although it is a rare find from Waterman.
Also I am expecting to find some one ( jeweller) to fix the crack which is just apperaring. Thanks for the answers here and your share. :)

I am quite impressed with what can be done with laser spot welders these days and I am sure there is a way to do it. I do hope you can get that crack repaired.

Cyril
September 10th, 2021, 07:42 AM
Finally I have decided not to get this nib as it will be more costly and unwanted extra repair cost. I have returned this nib to the seller.