PDA

View Full Version : Ink Institute – Cat at Noon

Yazeh
July 20th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Ink Institute – Cat at Noon

I got this ink on a whim. I have nothing to compare it with. It's very pale, almost transparent. The bright colour was a drop of ink that never got absorbed by the paper.

This ink had flow issues. Lamy did not like it. I had to prime it often. For Ahab after a couple of days, it was acceptable.
The writing experience was akin writing with water. I use quite a bit of iron gall inks. Essri/Scabiosa are Doyou compared to this one ;)

The intense coral colour you see, is done with extreme flex, on a thick absorbent paper.
The nib scratched out the paper, for lack of lubrication. Pity the colour is really nice, almost a golden, orange, salmon.
The line below is without any pressure, with a Lamy Safari broad.
The colour is really nice in absorbent paper, this is on Field Notes:

Ink had difficulty to dry even fast even on copy paper. Normally ink drops splatter, this one curls into a ball.
The one good experience I had was sketching, when there was ink flow. This colour would probably be very nice in a room but not for writing or on very absorbent paper.

Here is a photo:
Ironically this ink has some water resistance:
I am sure, there are many creative members who can make this ink work. If you had a different experience please let me know.

· Pen used: Noodler’s Ahab / Lamy Safari Broad
· Ghosting: None
· Bleed through: None
· Flow Rate: It took a day to work in Ahab… Needed constant priming in Safari
· Lubrication: Non existent
· Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
· Start-up: Difficult to say. As the ink is so pale that at time I wasn't sure if I was writing at all
· Saturation: n/a
· Shading Yes.
· Sheen: No
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: See for yourself
· Nib Creep: Nope.
· Staining (pen): One of the easiest inks to clean.
· Clogging: None.
· Water resistance: Ironically it has some water resistant.
· Availability: Only in 30 ml bottles

mizgeorge
July 20th, 2021, 04:16 PM
Oh what a shame - it's the sort of colour I absolutely love, but just sounds like too much hard work for me.

Lloyd
July 20th, 2021, 05:18 PM
What does this color have to do with a cat at noon? Is the cat supposed to be bleeding?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

guyy
July 20th, 2021, 06:00 PM
In France they say "at night, all cats are grey." Maybe it's related to that.

Yazeh
July 20th, 2021, 07:27 PM
Oh what a shame - it's the sort of colour I absolutely love, but just sounds like too much hard work for me.
I know.
Before I did this the review, I checked what other people say. I didn't find much about the problems, I encountered. So It might have been a fluke. If you have ink flow products, you probably can mitigate the flow... the colour is truly unique...

Yazeh
July 20th, 2021, 07:35 PM
What does this color have to do with a cat at noon? Is the cat supposed to be bleeding?

I have no idea. It belongs to a theme, cat at dawn/ dusk/midnight and noon. Maybe it's a homage to the golden cat ;)

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61TEjH5ThzL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Yazeh
July 20th, 2021, 07:36 PM
In France they say "at night, all cats are grey." Maybe it's related to that.

Maybe, though it's a Taiwanese brand... :)

Yazeh
July 20th, 2021, 07:47 PM

I contacted another reviewer. They didn't have a problem. So, it might have been my sample...

catbert
July 20th, 2021, 07:51 PM
...Normally ink drops splatter, this one curls into a ball. ...

Curling up in a ball where you're trying to write is pretty cat-like.

Jerome Tarshis
July 22nd, 2021, 12:12 AM
Perhaps by a lucky accident, I think I understood at once what Cat at Noon might mean. The expression "like a black cat at midnight" describes extremely dark blackness. So I thought Cat at Noon might be the opposite, a not very dark at all ink. And so it was.

Lloyd
July 22nd, 2021, 12:14 AM
The opposite of very black isn't pale red...

Yazeh
July 22nd, 2021, 07:00 AM
It could mean bleached ginger ;)

DrPenfection
July 23rd, 2021, 08:22 PM
Either way, it seems pretty anemic to me.

Thank you, Yazeh, for taking the time to do this review.