PDA

View Full Version : What Chinese pens you used today.

Cyril
August 4th, 2021, 11:22 AM
I used this Wing Sung 3008 Pen.
This is one of the pens that I use to do my Cursive drills and it is having a EF nib. Good pen it has the real value for money in all ways.

Sailor Kenshin
August 4th, 2021, 12:05 PM
I have a couple of those. Why doesn't my handwriting look like yours?

Cyril
August 7th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Wow Sailor! good question.
perhaps it is good time to clean and flus your pens and re-ink the pens with different ink.
And don't forget your nice , favourite coffee mug is at hand when you sit done to write.

If this set up messed it looks like your hand writing is get a bit odd. This is my experience. :facepalm:

carlos.q
August 7th, 2021, 09:54 AM
Jinhao 100 Centennial.... color me impressed.

Malcolm
August 8th, 2021, 02:35 AM
Using a Penbbs 308-16.

Cyril
August 24th, 2021, 12:12 PM
I used several pens and inked and did few ink testing . Sample of writing alongside to show.
1) 1st is Jinhoe wood barrel ( It is one of my favourites) Nib Schimidt Fine nib
2) Jinhoe 829 Celluloid pen with a Jowo custom Italic ground nib from FP in Spain.
3) Jinhoe 930 Ceramic Pen Very heavy pen - it is with the original " F" nib that write with a slight feed back . So perfect nib for me
04) Jinhoe 750 which is a handsom pen. It has a Schmidts No6 F nib . fantastic pen .
05)Jinhoe Mont blanc look- a-like.( Star waker Type knock out , I am not sure.) Simple pen and have good character in writing.

Durability not guaranteed . Today I fixed three other Jinhoes. pens with Glue. Their nib sections has loosen and kind of broken. Hope they can go for few miles. :facepalm:

Cyril
August 24th, 2021, 12:47 PM
Jinhoe 569
One of these pens I fixed today. It has completely fallen apart from the section collar.
I think that's how these are meant to made.
I have hacked these two pens to take two Vintage dip nibs. Rest are amazing. The white pen is with a G nib and it is a Mono line pen. No flex.
But it is having enough feed back to write very Dynamic cursives. That is my goal. This wiring can't be compared to any fountain pen nib character of the pens I have.

The black pen is having a vintage nib which has some medium flexible quality. ( which is bottom writing and the mono lined is on to of the image.)
It is worth trying this hack but I have broken more than 4 pens as the dip nib are very difficult to adapt to the feed. And the cap top will bend the nib as the dip nibs are very long than the fountain pens.
So try them and waste few pens and see what you can do. Dip pen get corroded faster with Water= with any ink. cleaning and drying the nib is the solution but once you stuck a dip nib into your pen no way you can remove it. That's how I broke so many pens. Due to the inability to remove the dip nibs it need very forceful removal. These two nibs in the both pens are easy to remove for clening.

scrivelry
October 27th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Today I stubbed a Jinhao 599A more or less successfully-I think I will be polishing the rough spots on micromesh for the rest of my life. I used a different 599A with the nib unaltered to make a small family tree to show someone, and also another 599A where I tried stubbing the nib at the very end instead of chopping some off first.

I'm sort of terrorizing my nibs, recently...

Robalone
January 21st, 2022, 10:38 PM

Robalone
January 22nd, 2022, 07:51 PM

Robalone
January 22nd, 2022, 08:06 PM

Scrawler
February 16th, 2022, 06:23 AM
I have been working with an Onoto made in around 1910 which uses a vacuum filling system. Until recently these fillers were quite rare being found in expensive items like the Visconti Knights Templar. I recently discovered that I could get a Wing Sung with the same filling system for $5 on Ebay. So for comparison purposes I bought this one. I don't know how long it is going to last, but after using it for one day I am altogether quite impressed. The plastic feels OK in the hand and the section is decent length. The cap closes tight. It does not post. It writes immediately and does not seem to need the filler cap loosening off to write, the way the earlier pens did.

Cyril
February 21st, 2022, 06:31 PM
It is a lovely pen. But I am not sure how long it is going to last "singing and dancing on papers" I am sure it is due to the cheapest Synthetic materials it is made of.
When you compare to the materials used on older pens the present materials and the technology has pushed and flourished to the highest volumes of productions they are cheaper and short lasted at the same time.
I have a couple of these pens and they are amazing. I use them regularly for my cursive practises as they are very fine writers.

Scrawler
February 21st, 2022, 08:27 PM
We are seeing new materials and more accurate machining methods making this kind of thing possible. I don't know how it will last but I am enjoying using it. The nib is very fine and behaves nicely.

Quyonemarwy
March 14th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Many ears ago I rememnber that my phather has caran d 'ache Rouge carmin....nevertheless I cant memorize when it now located

Prettypenguin
April 7th, 2022, 03:13 PM
I haven’t inked it yet, but I am super excited to have a new penguin buddy. I have just recently discovered the Asian fountain pen market, and am loving that there’s such a wide variety in every price range, from Sailor and Namiki, to Hero and Chuan Ren.

Ugly Old Guy
July 2nd, 2022, 06:31 PM
A couple Jinhao X450's with a 2 tone Jinhao Fine nib. (I put a Fine in all six of my X450's)
Inks are Diamine 'Writers blood' (from a wet nib it looks black at first/second glance, like a ___-black ink should.) and Diamine 'Twilight' blue-black. Again from a wet nib at first/second glance it looks black.

Prettypenguin
July 2nd, 2022, 07:20 PM
Today I am practicing Spencerian with a black and blue striped Baoer 388 with a F nib. These Parker clones are surprisingly good. I normally don’t use them around the house, but I found the rest of a pack that I ordered in January while stuck in jury duty writing for hours. I had to go through a metal detector and bag search and be around unsavory people every day, so I didn’t want to bring anything of value in with me. Thus started the inexpensive fountain pen rabbit hole that I currently find myself in.

Cyril
July 4th, 2022, 05:01 AM

Please notice Dude , this thread is for Chinese pens!!!!!

Prettypenguin
July 7th, 2022, 07:08 PM
A Chren Safari clone with a penguin section and a rainbow nib filled with vintage Sheaffer Emerald.

Sagehen
July 21st, 2022, 12:55 PM
I finally got my Jinhao 599 to work. I haven't had a problem with others, but this Coral one I bought by itself just was not writing. I used the converter and inked with Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape and it looks like it is coming to life. I will keep this pen inked with very wet ink and see what happens - I am afraid to tinker with the nib and feed just yet.

Parsimonious
July 21st, 2022, 02:48 PM
I finally got my Jinhao 599 to work. I haven't had a problem with others, but this Coral one I bought by itself just was not writing. I used the converter and inked with Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape and it looks like it is coming to life. I will keep this pen inked with very wet ink and see what happens - I am afraid to tinker with the nib and feed just yet.

If you're going to buy cheap Chinese pens, you should probably learn to tweak the nibs. It really isn't that hard and there are instructions on the web. A good magnifier helps. The 599 is a good one to practice on.

Sagehen
July 21st, 2022, 09:13 PM

If you're going to buy cheap Chinese pens, you should probably learn to tweak the nibs. It really isn't that hard and there are instructions on the web. A good magnifier helps. The 599 is a good one to practice on.

Thank you - I am just learning about all the info/community in this area. I don't anticipate buying any more but I bought this one to match another pen and I hoped it would work like another I had gotten. I will look for some videos and take a stab at it.

scottt
September 10th, 2022, 11:41 PM

Thank you - I am just learning about all the info/community in this area. I don't anticipate buying any more but I bought this one to match another pen and I hoped it would work like another I had gotten. I will look for some videos and take a stab at it.

You can also find spare nibs at incredibly low prices, so you can get creative with the tweaking/tuning.

Prettypenguin
November 17th, 2022, 01:20 PM
I have a rainbow of inks in random pens today, five of seven are of Chinese. Reddish Ooly Color Write with included cartridge, Orange Penguin school pen (no brand) with ink eraser on the other end inked with included cartridge, Yellow Five Below pen with proprietary yellow ink, Five Below 1.1 stub nib with Waterman Serenity Blue, and Hero 240 with Diamine Imperial Purple.

Sailor Kenshin
November 17th, 2022, 02:51 PM
Recently I got two Jinhao 80 pens. You know… the ones 'emulating' a Lamy 2000. One is brown and refuses to work with its converter, but seems perfectly happy when a PARKER cartridge is loaded with Chesterfield Mahogany. The newer green one works with its converter and Monteverde Olivine.

Both write with a smooth fine line and I can't stop playing with either.

Scrawler
November 18th, 2022, 12:34 PM
I bought a Wing Sung 3013 Vac Filler with F nib. It's amazing that you can get one of these delivered for $6. I got it as a comparison with the original 1907 Onoto Vac filler. I got the purple one and filled it with Akkermans Simplistes Violet. I am surprised at how much I like it.73474

stevekolt
November 18th, 2022, 09:56 PM
I've been using my Narwhal Nautilus in Bronze Corydoras. Well made, very good function and finish, but the M nib is a bit too wide for me. I will be replacing it with an after market F nib.

LightningXP693
February 16th, 2023, 03:09 PM
I use a Vanishing Point clone. Absolutely love it. Red with a fine nib. I do have a couple of real VP’s as well, but the differences are marginal in my opinion.

Scrawler
February 21st, 2023, 11:16 AM
I used to use fairly small pens. My EDC was an Esterbrook SJ. But I had some medical treatment that resulted in a lot of swelling and arthritis, so I have started to look at larger thicker pens. These Jinhao 159s are the largest I can reasonably find right now. I have 2 159 and 2 x159 inked on my desk. From left to right:

Brown/red x159 F D'Atrementis Magenta.
Yellow 159 M Akkerman Oranje Boven
Red 159 F Edelstein Star Ruby
Black x159 F Pelikan 4001 Black

I like the x159 a lot. I got on with them right away. The red/brown x159 does not have quite the same feel on paper as the black one, which is more likely down to the ink, than manufacturing or quality control. I am going to try different inks in it and I have ordered one with an EF nib for comparison. The black one is nice in the hand, fits well, and is smooth on paper. My only problem with it is the number of turns required to remove the cap. The red and yellow 159 are much more sensible when it comes to twisting the cap off.
The yellow 159 feels nice in the hand and smooth, but I now find it a bit too broad.

Prettypenguin
February 21st, 2023, 02:14 PM
I’m using a Chren Stress Reliever fountain pen tbat is really nice for the hand cramping and fatigue I get due to connective tissue problems. It’s meant to be more of a writing and fidget tool, but after buying it because it’s a penguin- I realized that it’s a good journaling pen when I have a lot to write.

Ugly Old Guy
April 9th, 2023, 10:00 AM
set of three Hero 329 with "Star Trek" emblem hood inlay this month.
Pen INK
Black: Noodlers Black ink.
Green: Noodlers Green Marine ink.
Wine/Maroon: de Atrramentis Alexander Hamilton ink.

All have an extra fine nib, and are smooth writers. I especially like the Aerometric fill they have.
I am not a fan of cartridges or converters. 😇

Don't see a button to add a photo. 🤨

wold9168
August 7th, 2023, 07:29 AM
My favorite Chinese Pen is Wing Sung 601 with a 14k golden dark nib.
It's the cheapest golden fountain pen among the pen still produced nowadays I can find today. It only cost me 178.80 CNY (about 24.88 USD), with no postage.
I use this pen almost every day. :D

WaltZucher
August 20th, 2023, 10:45 PM
We are seeing new materials and more accurate machining methods making this kind of thing possible. Viberate (https://www.viberate.com/tools-for-independent-musicians/website-for-musicians/) I don't know how it will last but I am enjoying using it. The nib is very fine and behaves nicely.

It's pretty awesome how they're using new materials and improved techniques for stuff like this.

Cyril
August 23rd, 2023, 03:49 AM
I can remember long time ago, back in my school years, I used a pen ( Chinese or Indian made I am not sure yet) . It is similar to the above pen. Name of the pen was "YOUTH"and we had many popular general pens as Pilot , Parker, Youth, etc.
Now I know these Chinese knock-out pens were based on " Parker 51". This is a solid pen no doubt. I love Parker 51 and having a firm nib, it is a good pen to take quick notes and do daily writing.

Chrissy
August 23rd, 2023, 05:53 AM
WaltZucher the spammer adding links to Quoted posts again.....

Sailor Kenshin
August 23rd, 2023, 06:29 AM
I can remember long time age back in my school years, I used a pen ( Chinese or Indian made I am not sure yet) . It is similar to the above pen. Name of the pen was "YOUTH"and we had many popular general pens as Pilot , Parker, Youth, etc.
Now I know these Chinese knock-out pens were based on " Parker 51". This is a solid pen no doubt. I love Parker 51 and having a firm nib, it is a good pen to take quick notes and do daily writing.

There's a Hero Youth model that I have, from back in the good old isellpens day. Works well.

Dougc
August 23rd, 2023, 10:24 AM
I'm somewhat anti Chinese pens, but I recently got a Majohn V1.

I love it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

calamus
August 31st, 2023, 07:07 PM
I rarely use Chinese pens. Someone gave me a Jinhao once, but the plastic was so cheap that it cracked and came apart. Also, I don't like knockoffs, even if they're not being passed off as the original that they're cloning. It just seems tacky to me. That said, someone recently gave me a Nahvalur Nautilus, which I believe was made in China, and it has a very original and attractive design, is actually made of ebonite, writes well, and that pen I enjoy using.

Scrawler
September 1st, 2023, 08:38 AM
About 12 years ago I bought this off eBay. I bought it because of the Jerusalem Cross on the cap and had the idea of giving it to a friend for whom this symbol has importance. This pen is comfortable to hold and writes very nicely. However I have not managed to find a converter to fit it. No cartridge fits easily. To use it I have refilled international cartridges that I have stretched the mouth on. I don't know who the manufacturer was and I have not seen another identical.

Zhivago
November 3rd, 2023, 09:31 PM
About 12 years ago I bought this off eBay. I bought it because of the Jerusalem Cross on the cap and had the idea of giving it to a friend for whom this symbol has importance. This pen is comfortable to hold and writes very nicely. However I have not managed to find a converter to fit it. No cartridge fits easily. To use it I have refilled international cartridges that I have stretched the mouth on. I don't know who the manufacturer was and I have not seen another identical.

That is a finial to buy a pen for. The shape of the nib is the same on the now discontinued (I think) Hero 389, one of the few Chinese pens I still use regularly. It is a surprisingly good and consistent writer even when filled with potentially difficult inks. I nick-named mine the Zulu because that nib shape brought to mind the shape of the shields used by the Zulu warriors in the film Zulu from the 60s.

Cyril
November 28th, 2023, 06:43 AM
I can remember long time age back in my school years, I used a pen ( Chinese or Indian made I am not sure yet) . It is similar to the above pen. Name of the pen was "YOUTH"and we had many popular general pens as Pilot , Parker, Youth, etc.

There's a Hero Youth model that I have, from back in the good old isellpens day. Works well.

@Saller,
Exactly that is the pen I am referring to.... Hero Youth !!!
It was on of the popular pens in my school days in 1970. I remember the ink and the pens I was playing with. ;)

Robalone
December 28th, 2023, 11:14 PM
I'm somewhat anti Chinese pens, but I recently got a Majohn V1.

I love it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thought I’d give one a whirl 🤣82147

MarkN06074
December 29th, 2023, 06:30 AM
I bought a couple inexpensive ($25 USD) Jinhao rollerball pens on eBay and surprising they look and feel very nice. NOT crazy about the ink refill it came with so looking to swap those but for $25 - WOW.