PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Franklin-Christoph Recommendation

BayesianPrior
August 13th, 2021, 01:49 PM
***Cross-posted at FPN***

I have been circling the Franklin-Christoph drain, if you will, and I think I have it narrowed down to one of the models at the end of this post - but any advice would be welcome. The choice of acrylic is another matter entirely! I am mostly interested in getting my hands on one of Mr Nagahara's nibs, and it seems I need to buy an acrylic Jowo holder to get one. So I might as well choose the best acrylic Jowo holder for me!

Here is what I'm looking for.

Size and length
I never post my pens and I have a non-negotiable minimum length of 4.9" nib to finial, but longer is fine by me. My favourite pens at the moment are my Ranga 8B and my Cleo Skribent Classic and they are both in the 5.3"-5.5" range.

Grip section comfort
I only use my pens to write, and I prefer an hourglass section to a ski slope. I would like to hold my pens higher up on the section for longer writing sessions, but with a comfortable option to drop down to the end of the section for situations where fine printing is required, e.g. marginalia. Definite "no" to any step between the barrel and section.

Aesthetic
Entirely subjective, so I'll leave this blank, except to say I dislike the overly tapered barrel of the 02. I understand the functional benefit for posting, but I don't post. I have no preference for screw cap or slip cap, as long as the section is long enough to accommodate different positions and there is no step.

Nib
It will either be a Nagahara needlepoint or fine cursive italic. I don't have any other Jowo nibs, so interchangeability isn't really an issue. I've gone for Bock 250 on my Rangas. I don't have a strong feeling about #5 vs #6, although I appreciate #6 is very popular and is used on a large variety of pens.

Short list of models?

02 - don't like the barrel taper
03 - looks like a step between section and barrel
19 - maybe a bit too girthy, and step between section and barrel
20 - looks good, but curious about the recessed nib
31 - looks good, but curious about the recessed nib
40 - looks good, but rarely in stock, don't love the long cap, but that's OK. Can't seem to find the unposted length anywhere...
46L - looks good, but how big is that step between section and barrel? rarely in stock
50 - looks good, but how big is that step between section and barrel? rarely in stock
65 - looks good
66 - looks good

Jon Szanto
August 13th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Hey... I've had a 45 and 66 for a few years, but I recently picked up a used 20 and I like this as much as any of my favorite writers, even to the point of looking for a couple more. The main reason is I have been looking for just the right pen to host older Sheaffer nibs and I think this is going to be great.

To your requirements/reservations:

I unhesitatingly post this pen. Their machine work is remarkable, and the same slip fit on the front that is incredibly secure yet easy to uncap is also evident on the rear of the pen. No effort is needed to put the cap in place and it gives a nib to end-of-posted-cap length of 6"; unposted is around 4-7/8". Possibly the best posting pen I've had, save for slip caps of 100 years ago.
The nib is a little inset, but for me it is mostly visual and not an issue. There are no threads and a slight hourglass with a minor widening at end of section near nib. There are 2 decorative grooves at the end of the barrel where the section screws in, but the pen is so gradually tapered that you can hold it anywhere. Very comfortable.

Honestly, I think it is a very nice pen and unless you need a heavier pen for some reason, I'd certainly give it a look. It also seems to be one of the most sedate / old-school profile of their pens, with no weird tapers or curves. I'm completely surprised by how much I like this pen, and hope it might meet your needs.

manoeuver
August 13th, 2021, 02:52 PM
the 20 is fantastic.

It's the only FC slip cap (right?) and they did it with skill and friction, not a lame-ass clutch ring.

The inset nib doesn't change a lot. It's a little shorter than a regular #6 and still bigger than a #5.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 13th, 2021, 02:53 PM
I've got three FC pens, models 20, 31, and pocket 66. The pocket 66 will not meet your requirements (it doesn't meet mine either, but there it is). Both the 20 and 31 can be used unposted, even for people with large hands. Both will post, but the 20 posts much more securely and satisfactorily. Overall I find the 20 is an ideal shape and size. The recessed nib has not been an issue because I don't fill this pen by dipping the nib in ink, and I imagine that if I did then wicking away excess would be easy.

With regard to nibs I have a fine SIG, and fine CI and Needlepoint by Nagahara. All three are great nibs and perform their function as expected, at least for me.

mizgeorge
August 13th, 2021, 04:03 PM
I have a 20, 45XLV and 46. I love all of them. My favourite is still the 45XLV - but it's a size thing - I like its slightly smaller size. My least favourite is the 20, only because I'm not quite as fond of the slip cap, but it's still a gorgeous pen, and one I use a lot simply because it's so very comfortable.

If I were buying another, I'd probably go for a 65 or 66 (just for something different) The 66 is a bit big for me, but the lure of the #6 nib is strong.

silverlifter
August 13th, 2021, 04:46 PM
Another vote for the 20. The recessed nib does mean pooling ink after a bottle fill, but it is simple enough to wick away. All my subsequent fills are by syringe, anyway.

I also have an 02 and it is a very comfortable pen. The barrel taper is a weird aesthetic choice, but damn it makes for a deep, solid post that balances the pen perfectly. Ergonomically, this pen is very hard to beat.

As E0C notes, the Masuyama nibs are sensational. I have tried the Fine and Medium CIs, and a Medium Stub. My preference is for the crisper line and feel of the CI, but the stub was pretty impressive. Audrey's SIG nibs are also excellent (I have a Fine and Medium). All in HPS.

Jon Szanto
August 13th, 2021, 06:13 PM
As E0C notes, the Masuyama nibs are sensational.

Indeed, but we should also note that Mike Masuyama is no longer grinding specialty nibs for FC, they are now done by Mr. Nagahara. Info here (https://www.franklin-christoph.com/pages/fp-nib-details-and-info).

silverlifter
August 13th, 2021, 07:54 PM
As E0C notes, the Masuyama nibs are sensational.

Indeed, but we should also note that Mike Masuyama is no longer grinding specialty nibs for FC, they are now done by Mr. Nagahara. Info here (https://www.franklin-christoph.com/pages/fp-nib-details-and-info).

Brain melt. Of course, you are correct. Both my CIs are Nagahara nibs. :facepalm:

Empty_of_Clouds
August 13th, 2021, 08:01 PM
My apologies to anyone who got confused by me spelling Masuyama using the letters N-a-g-a-h-a-r-a. Easy slip of the keyboard, could happen to anyone! *

To add to the list. I did have a model 66 in the glass finish with a Masuyama (note spelling!) cursive italic nib. While I thought I was going to love this pen because I have big hands, the step down from barrel to section was just in the wrong place, and so I sold it. If I recall correctly it was bought by @Chrissy, so she may be able to weigh in with an additional comment on that model.

*my current nibs are of course by Nagahara and not Masayama. :)

BayesianPrior
August 13th, 2021, 08:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the fast responses. There seems to be a lot of love for the 20, and I'm kicking myself (only a little) for prevaricating on the Deep Earth Stone SE [as an aside, I really appreciate the fact that F-C special editions attract a $0 premium over production models and I respect that business model.]

It sounds like the recessed nib is only referenced so much in online reviews because of the novelty factor. A bit of extra effort when filling the pen (wipe, syringe) can avoid any negative effects.

EoC I would be very interested in your comparison of the 20 and the 31, especially in light of your comment about the step on the 66. Do you find any grip issues with the 31 given the threads?

The 40 looks like it has the longest section of all the pens shortlisted, but it's almost never in stock. Speaking purely aesthetically, I would love to see it in Venetian Red with a black band.

Empty_of_Clouds
August 13th, 2021, 09:08 PM
EoC I would be very interested in your comparison of the 20 and the 31, especially in light of your comment about the step on the 66. Do you find any grip issues with the 31 given the threads?

No problem. The threads on the 31 do fall under one finger or the other, though not consistently as I do adjust my grip from time to time. The threads are blocked and rounded so they don't feel sharp, but I am aware of an anomalous surface texture under my grip, if you get the idea. The step down on the 66 was sharp and therefore over time in use became much more apparent and deflected more of my attention away from just writing.

I realise that even with description and comparison it is hard to get a sense of whether this will work for you... and it's at this point that you can avail yourself of FCs excellent no questions asked return policy. If you can afford the initial outlay, and the return postage, you could order the pens in question and return the ones that don't fit your hand for a refund. Something to consider.

Having said all that, I must state that the only reason I haven't bought multiples of the same model of pens is purely financial. With a limited budget there is always the desire to try something new and possibly surprising against buying the known and liked. I think this is in part linked to simple fact that I don't have a vast experience of different pens, so their are lots to discover, whereas those with either tons of cash, experience or both often seem to buy a bunch of same pens that they love using.

edit: I was going to get the Deep Earth model 20, but see statement above. I may still do this as I find the 20 to be excellent, and I can always give additional justification in the choice of specialty nibs!

catbert
August 14th, 2021, 09:30 AM

46L - looks good, but how big is that step between section and barrel? ...

(Possibly academic since you seem to be gravitating to the 20.)

If the grip section on the regular 46 is the same as the 46L, the step down is noticeable. I tend to grip around it but can feel that edge when my fingers shift. Like mizgeorge I prefer my 45L for size reasons. Masuyama nibs in both.

BayesianPrior
August 14th, 2021, 03:57 PM
EoC - thank you so much for responding to my particular request so quickly. I appreciate your effort and you make an excellent point about F-C customer service and returns policy.

Thanks also to catbert for commentary on the 46(L). The 20 is a strong contender, but I am attracted to the longer section on the 31 and 40. I think we've probably narrowed it down to one of those three models.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Now I just have to wait for the right materials come in stock... (although I have seen a 31 in black with a red section...drool, as they say).