PDA

View Full Version : How to sell a not Montblanc item on eBay

LeslieRoscoe
August 2nd, 2013, 03:34 AM
Sorry, - couldn't resist! I shall be listing this not Montblanc item on eBay over the weekend at an equivalent price of $45 / £30 plus shipping. (Under eBay rules I have to sell it along with a bottle of ink.) - Please check previous listings!
I have just one available, but can offer it to any Geeks at the absolute giveaway price of $30.00 / £20.00 plus shipping. Why? - Because I like you!
Full details read as follows. Dimensions 10.75" x 5.5" . Material - Solid oak with a French polish finish and green woollen baize on the underside and bottle recess.43724373

mmahany
August 2nd, 2013, 08:30 AM
While I respect the fact that you make these yourself, people like you are the reason why the Fountain Pen Network got ruined.

How about you take the time to introduce yourself, contribute to the forum, and then think about peddling your goods after that?

You joined 2 days ago, and every one of your 6 posts is about selling something.

I'm pretty new to FPGeeks myself and I sell quite a few pens, but I also take the time to contribute to the forum in other ways.

Maybe I'm off base here, but so far, it seems that the only reason you joined is to make money.

LeslieRoscoe
August 2nd, 2013, 09:18 AM
Sorry you feel like that.
I have practiced calligraphy since my schooldays ( a long time ago), and I also have in excess of 30 fountain pens, - but mainly sentimental value, from my schooldays onwards. Like all Geeks, I never throw a pen away.
My second interest is woodwork, and it is only in the past couple of years that I put the two together.
I have sold inkstands / pen trays with varying degrees of success on eBay, - but since most people who look for inkstands are hardened collectors, they are not interested in a modern manufactured product. Yes, I am making a profit on the sale of my pen trays, but if I employed somebody at my hourly rate, I would be prosecuted! On the eBay front, I am more pleased with positive feedback than the payment - honest!
I am simply trying to target the correct market. And what's more, I am genuinely offering this at a considerably reduced price for pen enthusiasts.
What more can I say? If it offends you greatly, I shall withdraw the thread (if that's possible). The last thing I want to do is cause trouble.
Please let me know what you think.
Leslie

mmahany
August 2nd, 2013, 10:32 AM
I think you're missing my point. I see nothing wrong with you posting in the For Sale section, but only AFTER taking the time to contribute to the forum in other ways. Be a contributor and a seller on her, not just a seller.

My advice to you: Make an introduction thread and tell everyone about yourself WITHOUT mentioning that you sell things. Answer a few questions or contribute in positive ways to other threads. After that, there is zero reason for me to b**** and moan.

Also, keep your classifieds/sales threads to the proper section. By posting in every forum subsection you're essentially spamming the forum.

LeslieRoscoe
August 5th, 2013, 02:02 AM
Sorry all! This sold on eBay.

talkinghead
August 6th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Dang..

logantrky
August 7th, 2013, 06:35 AM
:applause:

Freddie
August 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Fascinatin'..ain't it..

Fred

I like mango pudding
August 8th, 2013, 01:05 PM
30 bucks??

I can make that for less than 3 bucks. It's just a blank oak 1 x 6 with routered pen slots and ink tray. Router the edges, slap on some stain and Bob's your uncle.

mmahany
August 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
30 bucks??

I can make that for less than 3 bucks. It's just a blank oak 1 x 6 with routered pen slots and ink tray. Router the edges, slap on some stain and Bob's your uncle.
I think that's a bit harsh, unjustified, and quite frankly a bit ignorant.

Even if what you said were true let's break this down:
$3- materials
$3- ebay fees
$1- Paypal fees

That leaves $23 after supplies and fees.
Plus:
Labor for the woodwork
Labor for the stain
Labor to install the felt
Time to package it
Time to go to the post office

Even if all of that took you only 3 hours that equates to $7.67/hour which is barely over minimum wage in the US.

Most people couldn't make that themselves for that price let alone factor in the cost of their time. I think the price is very fair.

tandaina
August 8th, 2013, 02:20 PM
And the cost of the rather expensive router that you'd need to buy up front. If you were making just one of these for your desk and didn't own all the fancy tools it would become VERY expensive.

I like mango pudding
August 8th, 2013, 05:38 PM
yah, okay, it was. I just came off my sportbikes forum and there is alot of testosterone flowing there. Lots of 30 something year old hot shots on crotch rockets with something to prove.

Nevertheless, I can make it for around 3 bucks myself for personal use. I have all the woodworking equipment at home.

mmahany
August 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM
yah, okay, it was. I just came off my sportbikes forum and there is alot of testosterone flowing there. Lots of 30 something year old hot shots on crotch rockets with something to prove.

Nevertheless, I can make it for around 3 bucks myself for personal use. I have all the woodworking equipment at home.

Yea those guys sound like jackasses. It's a good thing you're not trying to prove anything yourself by saying you can make this pen tray for $3.

LeslieRoscoe
August 9th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Thank you very much for your offer. Please could I order 10 inkstands at $3.00 each (delivered), for my personal use, to sell on eBay. Please take care when slapping on the stain, as I would like a professional finish. And don't forget the multiple coats of French polish.
Thanks, and regards to your Uncle Robert.

logantrky
August 9th, 2013, 06:00 AM
I think this topic has got a bit out of hand. Granted, Leslie now knows that this is not the place to sell his/her pen holders. But I think we can all appreciate his craftsmanship and willingness to offer something to the FP community. In fact, I may have been interested in one if I had a desk. ;)

I suggest we move on so as not to create any bad blood. :)

dannzeman
August 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Moved to the For Sale forum.

pajaro
August 12th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I agree with mmahany. Some contribution to knowledge, even about pen and ink holders would make you more than another ubiquitous seller.