PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying a Skyline to restore

MRusso
September 29th, 2021, 11:15 AM
Hey all..
I'm eyeing an Eversharp for some time. It is very cheap here in Brazil because it is broken, about 45 USD. Looks like the pen itself is in good condition except for the broken thread.

I think I can fix this and to be honest I'm itching myself try.

Yes I know that in U.S it's pretty common to find even better deal for this pen but here it's quite rare to find one for less than 100 USD.
That said, I'd like opinion of more advanced users regarding what I can expect from this nib. Is it a medium semi-flex? (the seller says it's semi-flex). Thanks in advance.

guyy
September 29th, 2021, 01:52 PM
The nib may or may not be flexible. There’s at least a possibility.

I don’t know about the rest of the pen. Skyline plastic can be very brittle, and this one has lost a chunk already. I would only pay what the nib and feed are worth.

MRusso
September 29th, 2021, 01:55 PM
The nib may or may not be flexible. There’s at least a possibility.

I don’t know about the rest of the pen. Skyline plastic can be very brittle, and this one has lost a chunk already. I would only pay what the nib and feed are worth.
thanks guyy. Do you happen to know a modern body that would take this feed and nib?

carlos.q
September 29th, 2021, 02:29 PM
I have successfully transplanted a Skyline nib on to a Waterman Apostrophe pen:
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/27867-Vintage-flex-with-a-Waterman-Laureat (see the third and fourth picture)

However, I had to use the Waterman feed as this is a CC pen.

I believe the Skyline nib will probably fit any Waterman pen with a #2 nib.

MRusso
September 29th, 2021, 03:19 PM
cool, thanks carlos!

guyy
September 29th, 2021, 04:37 PM
I’ve successfully transplanted a Skyline nib into a Vacumatic. I’ve also transplanted a particularly good one into a vintage Pelikan 400. I used a Pelikan-compatible feed and an aftermarket collar. Note that the old Pelikan 400/N/NN take the same size nib units as modern Pelikan M200 & M400.

One caveat: there are several sizes of Skyline nib.

https://i.imgur.com/TJcg59A.jpg

MRusso
September 29th, 2021, 06:21 PM
thanks.. so, all in all it's likely not worth it then, other than finding a new barrel. I may end up spending a whole lot more than a non-broken skyline

guyy
September 29th, 2021, 06:55 PM
Yeah, it’s probably not worth it, but if you can bargain the seller down, the nibs are nice. Also, if you’re planning on working on Skylines it’s good to have spare parts around.

MRusso
September 30th, 2021, 05:44 AM
Yeah, it’s probably not worth it, but if you can bargain the seller down, the nibs are nice. Also, if you’re planning on working on Skylines it’s good to have spare parts around.

He won't reduce the price further he already reduced from 55 USD approximately. I'd work on Skylines but they are very hard to come by here :(

FredRydr
September 30th, 2021, 06:36 AM
Unless you can import a barrel for a reasonable price (from the likes of Five Star Pens (http://fivestarpens.com/wahl-eversharp-pen-parts.html)) or a barrel can be turned on a lathe by a friendly fountain pen fan in Brazil, the pen you are contemplating is hardly worth buying.

MRusso
October 1st, 2021, 05:28 AM
thanks Fred! What "turned on a lathe" means in this context? I'm assuming you mean creating a new body, rather than fixing the broken one.

FredRydr
October 1st, 2021, 05:53 AM
thanks Fred! What "turned on a lathe" means in this context? I'm assuming you mean creating a new body, rather than fixing the broken one.
Correct.