PDA

View Full Version : Reymand 117: Indian Eyedropper Demonstrator

Mesu
August 3rd, 2013, 11:33 AM
Inspired by fellow FPNer amk’s Indian Odyssey, I set out to find pens manufactured in India. Below is the review of one of the pen.

The first cache of pens was by a brand called Reymand. On further enquiry, I found that the brand is owned by Khatri Corporation, Mumbai. I found an eyedropper demonstrator and a (piston fill + eyedropper demonstrator) models. The review below is of the eyedropper demonstrator.

Reymand 117 (Eyedropper Demonstrator)

This is an ultra low-cost demonstrator pen. The cost of a 10 pen box is about $1. Given the price, I didn’t have many expectations from this pen and purchased just one. I was pleasantly surprised and went back and got the box :D
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Appearance & Design – A classic demonstrator design
The pen has a classic eyedropper demonstrator design with clear transparent barrel and colored cap, section and the tip of the barrel. The clip design is similar to Parker’s. The cap has a thin metal jewel on top of it.

Construction & Quality - Just about okay
Not a toughie, not a weak one either. Dropped it from a height of about 5 feet when it was capped and it didn’t break. A sharp blow or too much pressure can break it. For it’s price, it is well built. Compared to my daily users (Lamy Safari, Swarna ebonite), it feels light and plasticky.

Weight & Dimensions – Small, slender, and lightweight pen
The pen is 5” capped, 4.6” uncapped and 6” posted. The section is 0.3” wide and feels rather thin. Okay for a quick note or two but definitely not for taking long notes.
The pen is as light as a disposable ballpoint without ink. With a barrel full of ink, you can feel something but still feels too light for me.

Nib & Performance - Wet and slightly scratchy
It has a gold toned stiff nib which lays down a wet F line. The nib was scratchy in the beginning but not to the extent of catching the paper. I didn’t flush or clean the pen before inking it. As I continued to write, the scratchiness was almost gone. Now it feels more like feedback than scratchiness. For smooth writing, it requires few laps on the emery board.

Filling System - Eyedropper
It is an eyedropper and holds about 2 ml of ink.

Cost & Value - Price too low to rate
It is an ultra low-cost pen which I purchased to practice nib grinding. This pen is cheaper than the nibs. But in the few days i used this, I came to like it, faults and all. Would definitely miss it if I lose it. But no worries, I have a box full of these waiting to be inked.

Conclusion
A decent pen which performs beyond what is expected from it. Nice to play around with but would not be used as a daily writer.

The pen

Scratches due to the drop test

Uncapped

The nib

The feed

Writing sample

The box

subramaniyam
August 3rd, 2013, 08:44 PM
Nice review. Demonstrators are more prone to stress fissures at the thread part so I'd suggest you inspect them closely.. and use silicone grease..

Regards,
Sub

fncll
August 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Thanks for this... fits right into my "king of cheapies" plan for low-price domination. Where did you find them?

Mesu
August 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks for this... fits right into my "king of cheapies" plan for low-price domination.

Will be reviewing more Indian pens and inks in the following days . Stay tuned :)

fountainpenkid
August 5th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Doesn't look too bad! Thanks for the review!