PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to Leonardo Customer Service

AlohaPens
October 13th, 2021, 03:30 PM
I just wanted to take a moment to talk about some good customer service. My wife has an about 1 year old Leonoardo Momento Zero with a Bock steel nib. Recently, the gold plating on the nib started to peel off and wreck the writing experience. I couldn't find any replacement Bock nibs, so I emailed Leonardo. Today I received an entire new section with a new Jowo nibs as a no-cost replacement. The nib write flawlessly and it's so nice to have the pen writing to its potential again.

A big grazie to Leonardo.

Scot

spencerwilli
November 29th, 2021, 02:27 PM
I have the same problem with mine. How did you find their customer support contact info?

penwash
November 29th, 2021, 03:13 PM
Recently, the gold plating on the nib started to peel off and wreck the writing experience.

I'm glad that Leonardo came through for you.

But could you help me understand what you mean with the above statement?

I understand if the tipping material snap off, that could wreck the writing experience, but just the gold plating peeling off? :)

Jon Szanto
November 29th, 2021, 03:22 PM
I understand if the tipping material snap off, that could wreck the writing experience, but just the gold plating peeling off? :)

Will, it is happening to my first LOI pen as well. My belief is that the plating on the steel nib was applied poorly or the nib not prepared, but in a number of places there is corrosion and the plating is coming off - at most in small flakes, but I can see it all over the nib, especially at base and slit. I just saw a post on the PenAddict slack with someone else with photos of it. I really tried to ignore it but it is getting worse. The thing is, I've only inked it with the LOI ink that came with the pen. It may be these kind of issues that caused them to move from Bock to Jowo, I don't know.

Their track record with customer service is a bit spotty, so fingers crossed. I'll likely wait til the new year.

penwash
November 29th, 2021, 03:31 PM

Will, it is happening to my first LOI pen as well. My belief is that the plating on the steel nib was applied poorly or the nib not prepared, but in a number of places there is corrosion and the plating is coming off - at most in small flakes, but I can see it all over the nib, especially at base and slit. I just saw a post on the PenAddict slack with someone else with photos of it. I really tried to ignore it but it is getting worse. The thing is, I've only inked it with the LOI ink that came with the pen. It may be these kind of issues that caused them to move from Bock to Jowo, I don't know.

Their track record with customer service is a bit spotty, so fingers crossed. I'll likely wait til the new year.

Now that sounds pretty bad.

All the Leonardo pens that I had/have sports silver-colored nibs. They don't have gold-colored plating on them.
So I guess that's why I don't notice anything like you described?

Jon Szanto
November 29th, 2021, 03:51 PM
So I guess that's why I don't notice anything like you described?

I can't say what wouldn't happen, or if it is occasional bad nibs or 'all gp nibs are suspect", that kind of thing. I have two ruthenium plated nibs, the dark silver-grey look, and one of the two is starting to concern me. They tie in with the rest of the trim, so I don't want to lose that nib/look.

AlohaPens
November 29th, 2021, 09:53 PM
Yup- that's the same thing that happened to me. There were no questions about ink used or anything like that, so I'm guessing it's a known manufacturing issue.