PDA

View Full Version : old ink bottle and holder

Midg
August 4th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I came across an old ink bottle and wood holder in an antique store. I haven't been able to find much online about them. The label on the bottle reads "GOVERNMENT STANDARD WRITING FLUID MADE FOR U.S. GOVERNMENT BY RUSSIA CEMENT CO. Gloucester, New York, Boston."

I did discover that the Russia Cement Co. made a glue that will probably be familiar to many from their school days. The glue came in a hour-glass shaped bottle with a rubber applicator tip.

Does anyone know something about the company or can anyone put a date on the bottle and holder?

Thank you!445144524453

earthdawn
August 4th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I know nothing about it ... But wow thats really cool!

Nice find for sure.

ypsilanti
August 5th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Wow. I've never seen a bottle case like that. Sorry I'm not any help, but thanks for posting the pictures. That's very cool.

Midg
August 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM
I didn't realize what this item was when I first saw it; it was closed. I was purchasing an inkwell and bottle and the employee working the counter directed me back to it.

Jeph
August 5th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I did find an old US Gov't specification for writing fluid, but it is not part of my subscription.
I was able to dig around some anyway and it was very generic. The pretty much did not care what you made it out of as long as it worked.
Nothing at all that will help you identify what you have. The last date on it was in the 1950's.

Midg
August 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks, Jeph. The date might be a piece of the puzzle.