PDA

View Full Version : Matte finish

spencerwilli
October 31st, 2021, 08:30 PM
I知 wondering about how to give a pen a matte finish. I知 thinking about doing it to a Sailor pro gear or pilot 823. Is it as simple as fine grit sandpaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
October 31st, 2021, 09:23 PM
I知 wondering about how to give a pen a matte finish. I知 thinking about doing it to a Sailor pro gear or pilot 823. Is it as simple as fine grit sandpaper?

I did just that to a PenBBS transparent pen, which was sort of a turquoise clear acrylic. I tried first on the body of a Preppy and was surprised that the finer pieces of Micromesh were actually *not* abrasive enough. I ended up using the three heaviest grit pads that I had - 1500, 1800, and 2400. I was pleased with the results, especially matte-ing up the section, and plan to do so on a similar pen that is completely clear. I plan to mask off a pattern on that one, just for fun. Here was a quick photo of the last matte project (a little hard to see, but note that the cap and barrel have been sanded, but the piston knob and finial button (top of cap) have remained polished):

https://i.imgur.com/i9T0nDP.jpg

Wile E Coyote
November 1st, 2021, 04:57 AM
I have on old Badger airbrush media blaster that I used to restore a Waterman Edson cap. Gave outstanding results that are indistinguishable from the factory finish.

They no longer make the airbrush but the media is still available. Paasche makes a similar unit they call an "air eraser" which I would give a try. It looks like a higher quality unit than the Badger and their media looks to be identical to the Badger media.

spencerwilli
November 1st, 2021, 10:55 AM
that came out great. I'm ganna give it shot