PDA

View Full Version : Waterman's 52 Ripple - black and red

MarcoA64
November 3rd, 2021, 09:58 AM
good afternoon everybody, I have acquired this pens and am puzzled as to why the cap doesn't have a clip.
There are 3 breather holes on the cap all of the same size. I have read a few descriptions of this model but all mention a pocket clip.
Ideas ? Shall I send it back ? Cheers
Marco

Ron Z
November 3rd, 2021, 12:24 PM
Three vent holds all at more or less the same level is not uncommon. Are there two rivet holes in line near the top of the cap? No? It never had a cap. If there are holes, a clip can be attached. A hole in the top of the cap? Maybe had a ring fastened to it.

MarcoA64
November 3rd, 2021, 04:40 PM
Ron good evening, the 3 holes are at the same height on the cap, no hole on the top of the cap either.
Apart from these 3 holes there are no other holes on the cap.

So it is possible that earlier 52 Ripples didn't have a clip ?

Thank you
Marco

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2021, 04:57 PM
Another possibility is an earlier cap that has been mismatched to a 52 barrel. I'm certain the proper info can be found, I don't happen to have deep knowledge of this era pen.

Farmboy
November 3rd, 2021, 09:21 PM
Clips were optional nd could be installed by the retailer.

Cyril
November 25th, 2021, 04:30 AM
These pen belongs to certain period and those time lot of pens seems to come without clips. Pens like " Da La Rue -pen " never had a clip. Swan- Marbie Todds pens eye dropper pens never had clips.
So then the waterman belongs to that period also never had clips. I am not sure if The waterman 52 belongs to that time.
So waterman seems to have introduced the ring clip for the first time for those pens which came as an option and never designed with clip. This is what I learn and if I am wrong please correct me.
I have several waterman with those (extra) clips.Those clips are marked WATERMAN IDEAL. Also I have lot of other pens without clips. And several pens with holes and signed of marks of a ring around the cap that has lost clips.

Robalone
January 18th, 2022, 11:07 PM
Hi. I have many 52s , several in 'red ripple' and all have clips . The 52 1/2 v. didnt have a clip as such from what I've seen, but they had ring tops. The 52 1/2 s (that I have ) all have clips .
Personally, I've not seen a 52 that was clipless, and I may be wrong, but the most common 52 , from the mid 20s, was the first with that number...and later 52s mostly had clips.
If I were to guess, I'd say yours was meant to have a clip, and either it slipped past the checkers ( unlikely) or it was taken off or fell off ??
Usually when they've come off, there's evidence of the clip having been there !
The clips themselves do pop up from time to time so you could get one if you wanted to !

There were other Waterman pens from that era that were clipless...maybe a 15 ? And I've got one or two with obscure numbers that were clipless , so another possibility, as Jon says, is that you have a cap from another red ripple model that just happens to fit ??

Update: a search of **images shows that there were one or two BCHR52s with no clip. And one red ripple 52 which did appear to be clipless. ...maybe you have one of those ones that someone ordered with no clip!

MarcoA64
February 4th, 2022, 02:23 PM
@robalone, i see your post today. thank you very much for your contribution. interesting comment.