PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Star Nib

724Seney
November 6th, 2021, 11:19 AM
I am considering the purchase of a early 1900's Waterman eyedropper which has a Star nib.

Unfortunately, I have some reservations about the authenticity of that nib.

Would anyone have some photos of some Star nibs which they are willing to post? I know there was more than one style of the Star imprint and, in fact, there was at least one version where the Star replaced the breather hole.

All examples would be greatly appreciated so I can fully assess the authenticity of vintage Star nib currently up for sale.
I'd like to compare the nib I am considering with several photos of bonafide Star nibs.

Scrawler
November 14th, 2021, 06:17 AM
<snip> I know there was more than one style of the Star imprint and, in fact, there was at least one version where the Star replaced the breather hole. </snip>

Was the star shaped breather hole not a dip pen nib of v early 20th cent? I would be interested in seeing photos if you have them.

724Seney
November 29th, 2021, 10:19 AM
65312[

<snip> I know there was more than one style of the Star imprint and, in fact, there was at least one version where the Star replaced the breather hole. </snip>

Was the star shaped breather hole not a dip pen nib of v early 20th cent? I would be interested in seeing photos if you have them.

Yes, you are correct. The star shaped breather hold was characteristic of the dip pen nibs manufactured by Fairchild. Attached is a photo of one, I regret that I cannot attribute the photo to its "owner" because I got it off the Internet and there was no attribution provided. If someone knows the original source I hope they will add it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]65312

Interestingly, this same Fairchild manufactured some of the earliest #2 nibs for L. E. Waterman. If you follow this link and look at the photos there you will see a Waterman #2 nib with a cut-out Star. https://aqualeafholdings.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/5D94CD98-EF11-4A5A-BFE9-636417537315

Later versions of Waterman's Star nibs had an imprinted Star and a normal, heart shaped breather hole. Same thing, I apologize for the lack of attribution.

FredRydr
November 29th, 2021, 11:15 AM
My Leroy W. Fairchild nib has the same star.

Scrawler
November 29th, 2021, 11:16 AM
<snip> If you follow this link and look at the photos there you will see a Waterman #2 nib with a cut-out Star. https://aqualeafholdings.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/5D94CD98-EF11-4A5A-BFE9-636417537315
<snip>

That is gorgeous and completely new to me.

724Seney
November 29th, 2021, 01:16 PM
My Leroy W. Fairchild nib has the same star.

Did you know that Mr. Fairchild's father's first name was "Starr?" (Often incorrectly listed as "Star" on many public records)
One cannot help but assume that this was the inspiration for the cut-out Star on the Fairchild nibs....and later on the early Waterman #2 nibs which bore the Star imprint.

Blutarsky
February 12th, 2022, 10:03 AM
Probably a bit late but it'll add to the image base here is a 22 Eyedropper with a #2 star nib. Fantastic writing nib and would recommend buying one if you can locate it. 6757167572

Procyon
February 16th, 2022, 05:11 PM
Here is one of mine, it is original to the fine silver filigree pen ...67720