PDA

View Full Version : Share Your favorite Quote

mathew
November 10th, 2021, 04:57 AM
Share The favorite quote you have read which was helpful.
My favorite is "If you want to achieve greatness stop asking for permission." --Anonymous
Source : https://upgrademystatus.com/

dneal
November 11th, 2021, 05:43 AM
Too many to list, but one that perhaps encompasses the others is: "No man became wise by chance". Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Get a copy of "The Great Thoughts" by George Seldes.

kazoolaw
November 15th, 2021, 08:58 AM
Terrific topic. My problem is that my favorite quote seems to change depending on the day, my mood...

For today I'd quote Harry Truman who, when asked if he thought Richard Nixon read the Constitution, said
"I don't know. But I'll tell you this. If he has, he doesn't understand it."
Plain Speaking by Merle Miller.

Chuck Naill
November 15th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Love Harry Truman. He said I don’t give people hell, I tell them the truth and they think it’s hell

Regarding talking, my grandfather liked to say the more you stir horse shit, the worse it smells.

724Seney
November 15th, 2021, 10:28 AM
Re: Joe Biden
"I think he has been wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades,”
Former OBAMA Defense Secretary Robert Gates

Chuck Naill
November 15th, 2021, 10:38 AM
“ He has no clue about the difference between negotiating a business deal and negotiating with sovereign nations,” Gates writes. “A thin-skinned, temperamental, shoot-from-the-hip and lip, uninformed commander-in-chief is too great a risk for America.”

Robert Gates.

724Seney
November 15th, 2021, 12:43 PM
“ He has no clue about the difference between negotiating a business deal and negotiating with sovereign nations,” Gates writes. “A thin-skinned, temperamental, shoot-from-the-hip and lip, uninformed commander-in-chief is too great a risk for America.”

Robert Gates.

Since you do not say whom Gates is referring to in this quote I can only assume it is Biden.
If per chance it is anybody other than Biden, please allow me to remind you that the President of the United States is Biden and not that someone else.

Chuck Naill
November 15th, 2021, 12:47 PM

Robert Gates.

Since you do not say whom Gates is referring to in this quote I can only assume it is Biden.
If per chance it is anybody other than Biden, please allow me to remind you that the President of the United States is Biden and not that someone else.

Lol! Nope!!

Chuck Naill
November 15th, 2021, 12:50 PM
The problem with quoting is people make conflicting statements.

@dneal quoted Thomas Sowell but forget he advocated vaccines years before .

Context is essential FYI

dneal
November 15th, 2021, 03:53 PM
“No generalization is wholly true.” Oliver Wendell Holmes

724Seney
November 15th, 2021, 04:03 PM
The problem with quoting is people make conflicting statements.

@dneal quoted Thomas Sowell but forget he advocated vaccines years before .

Context is essential FYI

Sorry Chuck, you've totally lost it on this one.

If the two Gates quotes are about Biden, they are not at all conflicting. They speak to something that, apparently, you are the only one who does not recognize. Biden was incompetent long before he became demented.
If the two Gates quotes are about two different people, then you cannot claim they are conflicting.

Quit your habit of a reflex disagreement & contrarian posts with everything which is said by anyone who is not in your circle of woke buddies.
Or, on second thought, keep it up. It exposes you for what you are...........

TSherbs
November 15th, 2021, 04:15 PM
"Words, words, words." -- Hamlet

dneal
November 15th, 2021, 04:35 PM
"I wonder what Hamlet is doing..." - Pooh

Empty_of_Clouds
November 15th, 2021, 05:46 PM
"Oh d-d-dear" - Piglet (son of Hamlet)

dneal
November 15th, 2021, 06:02 PM
"Oh d-d-dear" - Piglet (son of Hamlet)

Well played.

Since this thread is derailed, have you read the Benjamin Hoff books (The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet)?

Empty_of_Clouds
November 15th, 2021, 06:08 PM
I haven't, but I have read (and re-read) various translations of the Dao de jing. Anyhoo, not being one to set aside the possibility of an entertaining read I will look them out. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
November 15th, 2021, 06:10 PM
'I want to sing like the birds sing, not worrying about who hears or what they think.' - Rumi

dneal
November 15th, 2021, 06:20 PM
Tao of Pooh .pdf (https://biggsrbr.weebly.com/uploads/8/7/4/4/8744974/the-tao-of-pooh-by-benjamin-hoff1.pdf)

TSherbs
November 15th, 2021, 08:10 PM
"So it goes" -- Vonnegut

dneal
November 16th, 2021, 07:25 AM
Back on topic...

Chip
November 17th, 2021, 05:13 PM
https://i.imgur.com/kj1qiqr.jpg

Oscar Wilde, I think. . .