PDA

View Full Version : What do you like to use your pens for?

Mod_wolves
August 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
As a fountain pen user i find i want to find any excuse to use my fountain pens. Despite using them at university or at work it never feels like i use them enough. while at home i'm sure a lot of you do the same as me and just write with our pens as its just a joy to be using them.

My question is, what do you write when using your pens for fun?

personally doodling what is on the radio, tv or what is said around me is the main bulk if i'm just sat with my pens and a pad playing around with them.

if i fancy using my pens to write and practice my penmanship i like to write famous quotes that i like and especially poems that i read. theres nothing more satisfying than looking at a beautiful poem written down in front of you that you have painstakingly written in your best writing.

This evening i wrote my girlfriend some sections of some of Pablo Neruda's work for her to decipher. shes currently translating the spanish as i write this.

so what sort of things do other people like to write, doodle or draw?

Penne Stilografiche
August 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
I write just about everything with a fountain pen. The only time that I use a writing utensil other than a fountain pen is when I bubble in test answers on a scantron. For some reason, you must use a pencil for this.

Feardorcha
August 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
I use my pens to plan and write fiction. I used to just type everything straight into word processing software and edit on the go, often deleting pages of text that may not be right for one novel but made for the next.

When I handwrite, I find myself analysing my use of words and sentence construction more closely. I now handwrite all of my first drafts and edit them during the onscreen rewrites. What's more, my notes are a permanent record of my thought process (even the bad bits).

Judybug
August 6th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Mostly post cards and short notes. I've gone over to the dark side and do most of my personal note taking, etc. on my iPad.

jar
August 6th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Opening cans, punching hole in fruit juice boxes, setting resets and clocks, cleaning under nails, replacements for tent pegs in an emergency, making holes to transplant seedlings, run thread through the breather hole and sew on buttons (F & EF work best), clean out blocked drains, stir coffee ...

KrazyIvan
August 6th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Someone mention the Dark Side?

Fawkes
August 6th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I write just about everything with a fountain pen. The only time that I use a writing utensil other than a fountain pen is when I bubble in test answers on a scantron. For some reason, you must use a pencil for this.

Maybe your scantron forms are different but, the ones at my old university accepted ink as well.

Frank
August 6th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Everyday Writing- You Name It!

;)

Mod_wolves
August 6th, 2013, 03:13 PM
I like the utilisation of the the swiss army pen. can you descale a fish with one?

Mod_wolves
August 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM
i would use my fp's exclusively but im forced to carry a ballpoint with me as the carbon copies that are used at work will not work with fountain pens. its rubbish really, I'm thinking of getting an extra fine nibbed pen for work to see if that works better. in a perfect world id get an esterbrook nurse pen with a 1461 nib.

00Photo
August 6th, 2013, 06:04 PM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7415/9455697776_58b33df37f_c.jpg

tandaina
August 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM
That pen is delicious.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Fawkes
August 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Forgot to add in my previous post that I use my pens for school notes, research on a book idea, architectural renderings, anything really that requires an inked line.

cedargirl
August 7th, 2013, 10:27 PM
That pen is delicious.

Are you implying that you eat them?

tandaina
August 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Well why not! One of our own drinks ink! ;)

caleath
August 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
I have been using mine a lot lately...to send letters to my son. He is in Air Force boot camp for the next 9 weeks.

cedargirl
August 8th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Well why not! One of our own drinks ink! ;)

:) That's true!

I like mango pudding
August 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I only use mine at work and all my pens are at work. It is only used for taking notes in meetings and taking notes at my desk. I don't go through alot of ink.

southpaw52
August 9th, 2013, 12:37 PM
I exclusively us a fountain pen for all my writing. There are very rare occasion that I'm forced to use a ball point. After using a fountain pen, writing with a ball point is just unnatural.

blopplop
August 9th, 2013, 06:52 PM
I use fp's for all my writing. I'm a full time pastor and I do a lot of sermon writing. I'm thoroughly blessed by this because (plus for many other reasons) I really get to experiment with lots of different types of pads, ink brands and colors, and nib sizes and types. I probably use 3-5 different colors every week as I write out my sermons. Lotsa fun!!

Dave

79spitfire
August 11th, 2013, 10:46 AM
I use a fountain pen for everything I can! I do, however, have to use a ballpoint for various items....

Opening cans, punching hole in fruit juice boxes, setting resets and clocks, cleaning under nails, replacements for tent pegs in an emergency, making holes to transplant seedlings, run thread through the breather hole and sew on buttons (F & EF work best), clean out blocked drains, stir coffee ...

Also prying door panels, making spit-wad shooters, and the dirtiest of all, occasionally filling out carbon copies....

Someone mention the Dark Side?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/come-to-the-dark-side-we-have-cookies-funny-poster.jpg (http://s276.photobucket.com/user/79spitfire/media/come-to-the-dark-side-we-have-cookies-funny-poster.jpg.html)

i would use my fp's exclusively but im forced to carry a ballpoint with me as the carbon copies that are used at work will not work with fountain pens. its rubbish really, I'm thinking of getting an extra fine nibbed pen for work to see if that works better. in a perfect world id get an esterbrook nurse pen with a 1461 nib.

I've found by the time you get one that will write through carbons, it's rubbish for general writing, way too stiff.

I like the utilisation of the the swiss army pen. can you descale a fish with one?

yes, but they get caught in the tines...

AndyT
August 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Just general writing instruments - if it's not a pencil then it's a fountain pen. Dip and ruling pens get a look in from time to time too.

ThriveToScribe
August 11th, 2013, 08:09 PM
[QUOTE When I handwrite, I find myself analysing my use of words and sentence construction more closely. I now handwrite all of my first drafts and edit them during the onscreen rewrites. What's more, my notes are a permanent record of my thought process (even the bad bits).[/QUOTE]

Yes! I don't even think the same without a pen in my hand for writing and composing stories and my diary.

ethernautrix
August 11th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I like to use my fountain pens for writing.

79spitfire
August 11th, 2013, 09:50 PM
I like to use my fountain pens for writing.

Your such a rebel! I'll bet you only use your cameras for pictures as well....

:crazy_pilot:

RuiFromUK
August 12th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Writing. Is there any other use for them?

cwent2
August 12th, 2013, 12:57 AM
Writing. Is there any other use for them?

Yes, yes of course writing, but yes the other use is therapy - or more precisely fountain pen writing therapy. A slower kinder pace. Less pressure in more than one instance, less pressure to utilize than with a ball point and less mental pressure when using them.

OK, I am off the soap box

thanks

cw

Slummingangel
August 13th, 2013, 06:47 AM
MB Starwalker for sketching. A 1918 fine flex Waterman for imagining the hand that held this instrument at the time the world was changing catastrophically. I am new to fine pens but they seem to be a little like musical instruments, pocket violins perhaps? What can we say in a language of beauty, which is what a pen provides, that we cannot say typing with our thumbs? I use these three dowsers to tell me that.

reprieve
August 13th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Writing, drawing, note-taking, marginalia. Dip pens for drawing and (making a poor attempt at) calligraphy.

Flounder
August 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM
To my shock: all non pencil handwriting. It just sneaked up on me. I was recently asked to sort out some ballpoints, source refills etc. They were some Inoxcroms, a Parker, and a Sheaffer. My writing was awful. I had no control over these skinny, shiney, upright-grip demanding aliens.

heath
August 14th, 2013, 07:00 AM
I am new to fine pens but they seem to be a little like musical instruments, pocket violins perhaps?

The Lamy Equivalent: 4711