PDA

View Full Version : Leaky Noodler's Konrad

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Has anyone else had a problem with the Konrad leaking? I can't use it without getting seriously inky fingers...I clean it up, 5 minutes later I'm inky again. The cap usually has ink in it when I open it, it seems to leak around the nib and also the filler cap.

I LOVE the nib and like the way the pen feels, but this isn't acceptable!

KrazyIvan
August 6th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Sounds like leaky piston seals if there are no cracks on the barrel. I would take the pen apart and grease up the piston seals along with the mating threads on the piston unit.

tandaina
August 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Is the nib and feed seated tightly enough? If you've pulled the nib and it isn't seated all the way that will also cause a bad seal and give you leaks.

cwent2
August 6th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Is the nib and feed seated tightly enough? If you've pulled the nib and it isn't seated all the way that will also cause a bad seal and give you leaks.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)*

I had the same thing happen in my resin Konrad - and Ivan suggested the same repair - I removed the oring on the plunger and found ink had caked under it. Cleaned it and used silicone grease, problem solved.

Nib and feed should be inserted to the base of the plunger when all the way in - as if you are draining pen. Can also be slightly ahead of that point maybe 2.4 mm

I bet though you will find that when you clean and grease the plunger the leak will cease.

Carl

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 12:43 PM
Is the nib and feed seated tightly enough? If you've pulled the nib and it isn't seated all the way that will also cause a bad seal and give you leaks. It seems to be seated, but I'll check. I wrote to Brian Goulet, too, and he said this happens with a very small percentage of Konrads, and seems to be fixed by heat-seating the feed...if I just knew how to do that!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Thanks Carl, I'll see if I can figure out how to take this one apart, it's a little different from the Creaper or the Ahab. Sounds like that might be the problem!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)*

I had the same thing happen in my resin Konrad - and Ivan suggested the same repair - I removed the oring on the plunger and found ink had caked under it. Cleaned it and used silicone grease, problem solved.

Nib and feed should be inserted to the base of the plunger when all the way in - as if you are draining pen. Can also be slightly ahead of that point maybe 2.4 mm

I bet though you will find that when you clean and grease the plunger the leak will cease.

Carl

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Thanks, Ivan, I'll give it a try...I've flushed it out, but I'll see if I can get it apart. Probably a video on the Goulet Pens site!

cwent2
August 6th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks, Ivan, I'll give it a try...I've flushed it out, but I'll see if I can get it apart. Probably a video on the Goulet Pens site!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxc-6OmsTVw&t=291

4:51

Carl

cwent2
August 6th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Is the nib and feed seated tightly enough? If you've pulled the nib and it isn't seated all the way that will also cause a bad seal and give you leaks. It seems to be seated, but I'll check. I wrote to Brian Goulet, too, and he said this happens with a very small percentage of Konrads, and seems to be fixed by heat-seating the feed...if I just knew how to do that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gqO3wRmk6DA

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=Cathy Johnson (Kate);41562]Thanks, Ivan, I'll give it a try...I've flushed it out, but I'll see if I can get it apart. Probably a video on the Goulet Pens site!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxc-6OmsTVw&t=291

Well cool, thank you! I love you guys...

cwent2
August 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Cathy Johnson (Kate)

You are most welcome. I am just trying to help other's as I received and am still receiving help from the good folks at Fountain Pen Geeks.

:)

Cw

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I think this is the most helpful, most responsive forum I belong to. Geeks rock!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)

You are most welcome. I am just trying to help other's as I received and am still receiving help from the good folks at Fountain Pen Geeks.

:)

Cw

pokermon919
September 5th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Was wondering if you got the leaking problem sorted. If you want to heat set the feed there is a very safe and easy method by using near boiling water. Just boil some water, take it off the stove/heat for about 30 seconds, and drop the feed into the near boiling water. Get some tweezers to get it out and then reset the feed/nib. With vintage pens I like to give a little upward pressure on the feed a couple times re-dropping it into the hot water so when I do seat the feed/nib they will have good contact with each other. This helps tremendously with flex pens and assures good contact for good flow.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
September 5th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Was wondering if you got the leaking problem sorted. If you want to heat set the feed there is a very safe and easy method by using near boiling water. Just boil some water, take it off the stove/heat for about 30 seconds, and drop the feed into the near boiling water. Get some tweezers to get it out and then reset the feed/nib. With vintage pens I like to give a little upward pressure on the feed a couple times re-dropping it into the hot water so when I do seat the feed/nib they will have good contact with each other. This helps tremendously with flex pens and assures good contact for good flow.

I did solve it, thank you! I followed the instructions to take it apart and clean it on the Goulet Pens site.

So you just drop the feed itself into the hot water, not the nib or any part of the pen? Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time there's a problem.

cwent2
September 5th, 2013, 05:43 PM
How to heat set a fountain pen feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xG5535d68

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
September 5th, 2013, 06:12 PM
How to heat set a fountain pen feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xG5535d68

Thank you! So helpful--I love videos.

pokermon919
September 5th, 2013, 11:41 PM
Yup that vid explains it better than I ever could with words.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
September 6th, 2013, 07:01 AM

And it's SO much simpler than I imagined. Very cool! (Even though my ISP is so slow it takes ages to buffer...glad I took the time to watch!)

cwent2
September 6th, 2013, 08:51 AM

It follows the same basic method you described - much easier than Nathan's method. And the result is probably better because the tension of the feed bends to the proper position required - kind of hit or miss when the feed is out of the pen and your using the nib and feed to mate.

cw

gerigo
December 12th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Cathy, how did you manage to solve your problem? I have exactly the same issue with my brand new pen. Is it the seal of the piston or the heat setting of the feed? For me, I immediately swapped the flex nib for a Goulet 1.5 Italic nib.

cwent2
December 12th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Cathy, how did you manage to solve your problem? I have exactly the same issue with my brand new pen. Is it the seal of the piston or the heat setting of the feed? For me, I immediately swapped the flex nib for a Goulet 1.5 Italic nib.

When you swapped a Goulet nib into the Konrad did your leak stop? If so it is possible the nib and feed was not far enough in to prevent air passing too easily causing a gusher.

Cw

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
December 12th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Following the instructions here seemed to do it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxc-6OmsTVw&t=291