PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's ink in vintage pens?

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 01:15 PM
I was just looking at a video on YouTube in which someone commented that they'd never use Noodler's inks in vintage pens--I love Lexington Gray in ALL my pens--old Sheaffers, Esterbrooks, Eversharps, Waterman 52. It's not one of the bulletproof pens, but it works really well, feeds well, flows well.

Any idea why this might be a problem?

tandaina
August 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I use Noodler's in mine as well with zero issues. But I do not use the inks like Bay State Blue that have a reputation for staining. A few folks have claimed Noodler's ate through rubber sacs or did other damage. However, I haven't seen this proved as causation, and certainly haven't experienced anything like that myself.

Noodler's is an ink some folks love to hate. I've never had any of my Noodler's harm a pen, I have had a main stream "safe" ink permanently stain an antique pen. Ink is ink, any of it could stain.

cwent2
August 6th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Cleaning a pen regularly is key no matter what the ink -

At least that's the story I have heard.

Cw

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
My main use for fountain pens is sketching, usually as an under layer before watercolor, so I need waterproof ink. Lexington Gray is the only one I've found that feeds consistency AND doesn't smear with watercolor laid over, so I'd hate to think I was harming my pens! Thanks...

I use Noodler's in mine as well with zero issues. But I do not use the inks like Bay State Blue that have a reputation for staining. A few folks have claimed Noodler's ate through rubber sacs or did other damage. However, I haven't seen this proved as causation, and certainly haven't experienced anything like that myself.

Noodler's is an ink some folks love to hate. I've never had any of my Noodler's harm a pen, I have had a main stream "safe" ink permanently stain an antique pen. Ink is ink, any of it could stain.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM
thanks CW, that makes sense!

Cw

dr.grace
August 6th, 2013, 01:50 PM
In my experience, the waterproof Noodler's inks tend to leave minute sediments in the feed. Those deposits can cause feed starvation and this can be a bother, as vintage pens are typically harder to disassemble. Even with a more recent Pelikan nib unit, I've had to disassemble it and ultrasonically clean the nib and feed. But the non-waterproof Noodler's inks, at least the ones in non-staining colors, would probably not be any more harmful than ink from other brands. Some inks, especially if allowed to dry out for long periods, could cause problems with latex sacs and diaphragms. But that's controversial and not easily proven.

jacksterp
August 6th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Some people will go so far as to say using Noodler's inks will void pen warranties. I think blanket statements concerning the relative "safety", or lack thereof, smacks of fountain pen FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt). While certain ink manufacturers may produce more benign inks than others, I say use and enjoy your pens and don't fret over your choice of ink.

Carry on and Keep Sketching!

Margana
August 7th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Kate, Noodler's has been in my rotation for ten years and I can't attribute any damage to it. Lex Gray is my current fascination in a modern fude nib, the sort that has an upward bend. Line variation is outstanding and the shading particularly nice. Plus it looks like graphite and I like seeing that through a pale wash.

Pen hygiene is key especially when using highly saturated inks, but all pens need the occasional tuneup. Some can go decades while others only a year or two. Even after using Noodler's, no nibmeister has told me that it caused permanent damage. That's a testament of sorts. So don't worry and enjoy your pens, whichever ink you decide to use.

cwent2
August 7th, 2013, 09:38 AM
thanks CW, that makes sense!

Cw

My wife hates it when I make sense!

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I have to agree. I have used Noodler's in my Esterbrooks, Parker's (Doufold Jr. and Parker 21), and Sheaffer TD Statesman. I just flush thoroughly and use a pen flush too. I have not had issues. I do tend to restrain myself though. Sometimes I do not have time to go through the whole ritual so I tend to limit Noodler's to more modern pens that can be fully disasembled in case there is an issue. I also stay away from Baystate Blue.

Mags
August 7th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I believe the ph being above or below a 7 signals basic or acidic ink. baystate blue is around a ph of 8.5 so I recall that means acidic from Chemistry a very long tim ago.

dr.grace
August 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Sorry, pH 8.5 is mildly basic. I know this because, although Chemistry class was long ago for me too, I have done biochemical research for much of my life.

But I'm not sure that pH is the reason Baystate Blue can wreak havoc.

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Nothing to do with acidity in my case. It's just hard to clean out of pens. I'd rather not subject my pens to the bleach solution required to get it out. That's just me. Some people are perfectly fine with it.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
August 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM
thanks for the input, all! MUCH appreciated...