PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya Titanium Piccolo, Quick Shot

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to have a review of the Nakaya titanium Piccolo up (sometime this weekend if I am lucky); until then, here's a shot of the pen with a writing sample from my Instagram feed. Hope you enjoy it!

Note the stubbed tip - you can see a small amount of gold where John (Mottishaw) ground off a bit of the ruthenium plating to create the stub. It's an amazing writer!

tandaina
August 7th, 2013, 08:38 AM
John is grinding my Nakaya RIGHT NOW. You are making the next couple days even harder to wait. That is a beautiful stub, was the nib Medium to start?

subramaniyam
August 7th, 2013, 08:40 AM
What a pen. And your handwriting is just divine!!!!

Regards,
Sub

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi tandaina! The nib was a broad to start. I thought about getting a BB, but decided the B stub would also work as a daily driver, and indeed it does.

Sub, thanks very much! :)

tandaina
August 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Also: you have beautiful handwriting, wish mine were half so consistent!

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Also: you have beautiful handwriting, wish mine were half so consistent!

Thanks! :)

I've been practicing a lot with Clairfontaine seyes-ruled paper, which helps me keep consistent letter height. There are several people (Manny/GClef and Leigh Reyes) who are inspirational to me!

Nomdeplume
August 7th, 2013, 09:10 AM
As I posted. On the 'other' site, please do the entire review by hand! Love your penmanship!

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
As I posted. On the 'other' site, please do the entire review by hand! Love your penmanship!

I'll do my best! :)

Writing is easy, it's getting the time to set up for photographs with good (sun)light that is hardest.

Tony Rex
August 7th, 2013, 09:23 AM
That's a real pretty handwriting, that looks familiar somehow. Well done mate.

I can't wait to see the full review. And thanks for sharing your pretty pen.

Tony

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks, Tony :)

There are several people who have a similar style, only they are better - I've started working on other calligraphic styles, but I need wayyyy more practice. All part of the fun!

Jeph
August 7th, 2013, 09:43 AM
You have just saved me a ton of money. If my handwriting was that nice, I would need a pen with a nib like that.
Since my handwriting sucks compared to that, I must stay with my cheap pens. :)
Very nice.

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks Jeph! If it helps, I practiced a lot with a Sheaffer NoNonsense calligraphy set and a Lamy Safari 1.5mm before I bought this pen :)

KrazyIvan
August 7th, 2013, 01:10 PM
The Force is strong with this one.

Bogon07
August 7th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to have a review of the Nakaya titanium Piccolo up (sometime this weekend if I am lucky); until then, here's a shot of the pen with a writing sample from my Instagram feed. Hope you enjoy it!

Note the stubbed tip - you can see a small amount of gold where John (Mottishaw) ground off a bit of the ruthenium plating to create the stub. It's an amazing writer!

I'd buy one of those if it would make my writing that good and titanium would be a bonus.

earthdawn
August 7th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Beautiful !!!

I remember when Leigh got hers... I was like what ?!?! ...

Great nib too .. I have a BB stubbed by john & his work is impeccable

Looking forward to the review

Congrats :bump:

quinden
August 7th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Earthdawn, I first saw two (three? four?!? maybe more) of my grail pens at Leigh's site, and I have been lucky enough to obtain several of my own - I go there all the time to check out her art as well.

Agreed on John's work as well!

skcheng
October 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hey quinden, sent you a PM, but maybe it was never received. I love Titanium. Knives, flashlights etc... And a Ti Nakaya just seems like the ultimate pen for me. How do you like the feel, balance, weight of the pen? Do you like it as much as the more ubiquitous urushi lacquered Nakaya pens? Would you recommend it? The new carbon graphite pen looks really great as well. Thanks,

skc

quinden
October 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
Whoops! Sorry about that. The pen is well balanced, and weighty. If you are looking for a pen to write with for long periods, I would use a lighter pen. The section is lightly textured, which prevents it from being slippery.

I like it as much as the urushi Nakaya offerings, but for different reasons. If you want a pen for signing documents or jotting quick notes, it's cool. It's not a journaling/intensive note-taking in class sort of pen (for me, at least).

Hope that helps! :)

elderberry
October 3rd, 2013, 02:11 AM
Love your handwriting!

The Titanium Piccolo does look very cool but fortunately doesn't hold any temptation for me as I'm not into all-metal pens. :-D Wishing you a lot of enjoyment from it.

drgoretex
October 3rd, 2013, 12:33 PM
Fortunately I have no desire for an all-metal...well, ot a great deal of desire...

Titanium is very cool... but ya, a heavy pen is not for me...

But really, really cool... No! I do not need this pen! Stop tempting me!

Aaaaargh! Now I NEED one!

Thanks a lot.

Ken