PDA

View Full Version : Back to Fountain Pens

Dasher
December 4th, 2021, 03:06 PM
New member of FP Geeks. Been a member for FPN for a long time and thought I’d join here too.

I collected many pens over the years, mostly MB, until a few years back when I lost all interest and sold them off. I’m slowly getting interested again and started to buy some of the pens I used to have that I missed.

I kept my first pen, never sold that one, a 1990’s 149. I purchased a Proust and 1912. I’m going to hit pause on purchases for now and see how I do with these pens so I don’t go down that rabbit hole I went through before.

Cheers

W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junglejim
December 4th, 2021, 03:15 PM
Hi Wael El-Dasher and welcome to fpg! You will find that it is much quieter here than over at FPN. I've enjoyed some of your posts and pictures over there.

FredRydr
December 4th, 2021, 03:21 PM
Don’t tighten your cap too much on the Proust. The pressure of the cap against the silver overlay will cause the barrel to crack, requiring a repair costing many hundreds of dollars at the Hamburg Montblanc repair center. When I had my Proust repaired, I learned the company that made the silver overlay was out of business, so the bulk of the expense was to extract, preserve and reuse the overlay over a new barrel.

Dasher
December 4th, 2021, 03:29 PM
Hi Wael El-Dasher and welcome to fpg! You will find that it is much quieter here than over at FPN. I've enjoyed some of your posts and pictures over there.

Thanks Junglejim. I did notice it’s very quiet here since joining a few days ago.

Cheers

W

Dasher
December 4th, 2021, 03:31 PM
Don’t tighten your cap too much on the Proust. The pressure of the cap against the silver overlay will cause the barrel to crack, requiring a repair costing many hundreds of dollars at the Hamburg Montblanc repair center. When I had my Proust repaired, I learned the company that made the silver overlay was out of business, so the bulk of the expense was to extract, preserve and reuse the overlay over a new barrel.

Hi Fred,

I agree, the Proust is a bit touchy when it comes to the cap and threads on the section. I’ve had one before with no issues. The Lorenzo however gave me nothing by grief. It took many trips to Hamburg before being fixed. I thought the ink window on the Lorenzo would be so useful but honestly I still preferred the Proust.

Cheers

W

welch
December 6th, 2021, 10:47 AM

Thanks Junglejim. I did notice it’s very quiet here since joining a few days ago.

Cheers

W

FPG is a smaller group than, so it is usually quieter. Many people who post here also post on FPN, incidentally. Each forum has a slightly different feel to it. Good to have both.

penwash
December 6th, 2021, 02:56 PM

Cheers

W

While the number of active posts are smaller, I personally don't see a huge difference between here and FPN when it comes to the threads that I care about.

If I want to see traffic, I'd go to the r/fountainpens subreddit. :)