PDA

View Full Version : Pandemic trauma on children

TSherbs
December 7th, 2021, 04:31 PM
I imagine that we can all agree that we need to look out for our children:

http://Los Angeles Times: Surgeon General advisory: Youth mental health crisis looms.
https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-12-07/surgeon-general-advisory-youth-mental-health-crisis-looms

dneal
December 7th, 2021, 04:35 PM
Bad link, but I wholeheartedly agree with the title and post.

Bold2013
December 7th, 2021, 06:51 PM
I heard the surgeon general on the radio this morning talk about increases in childhood mental illness tied to social media. Distance learning probably compounds things.

Cookedj
December 15th, 2021, 11:23 AM
Being in a high school, I can tell you that there has been a tremendous uptick in mental health issues in the students. Along with these issues are the behavior issues because parents let students do whatever they wanted for the last 2 years, and School districts still passed the students.

TSherbs
December 15th, 2021, 01:15 PM
Being in a high school, I can tell you that there has been a tremendous uptick in mental health issues in the students. Along with these issues are the behavior issues because parents let students do whatever they wanted for the last 2 years, and School districts still passed the students.

I have seen this also. My students are behind, developmentally, and their stresses have had manifold expressions, mostly negative.

Chuck Naill
December 15th, 2021, 01:59 PM
My 10 year old said vaccines were planned during Christmas break.

Chip
December 23rd, 2021, 03:49 PM
‘Their whole sky has fallen’: more than 167,000 US children have lost a caregiver to Covid

Of all children who have lost caregivers to the virus since Covid-19 struck, a disproportionate share are Black.

Asher Lehrer-Small
Wed 22 Dec 2021 05.00 EST

Melanie Keaton, 9, used to spend hours playing with her grandfather. Having tea time together from her miniature toy set. Taking trips to the zoo. Zigzagging their characters across the board of Candy Land.

When he fell ill from the coronavirus in April 2020 and went to the hospital during New York City’s deadly first wave, the young girl, then just 7, turned to her mother.

“He’ll be OK, right?” she asked.

Her mother, Melissa Keaton, days later had to tell her daughter that their beloved “Papa,” who was 61, wasn’t coming back to the Flatbush apartment he had shared with them and where he had helped care for his granddaughter.

“My father was in the hospital,” Keaton told The 74. “We never heard from him. We were never able to see him or speak to him. Once he passed, [Melanie] didn’t get to see that visual, final goodbye.”

The young Brooklynite is one of more than 167,000 children who are believed to have lost parents or caregivers to Covid during the pandemic – roughly one in every 450 young people in the US under age 18.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/22/coronavirus-us-children-lost-caregiver-covid?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Chuck Naill
December 24th, 2021, 06:50 AM
I heard DT got booed for saying he got a vaccine booster.