PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Brian of UniqueObliques - a great resource

JazzDoc
August 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Let me take this opportunity to lay some major kudos on Brian Smith (MusinkMan) of Unique Obliques (http://www.etsy.com/shop/UniqueObliques). Brian, as many in here already know, is a skilled craftsman interested in the art of turning gorgeous hand-created penholders/staves for dip pens. He also has an avid interest in penmanship and calligraphy.

Each one of Brian's staves is a one-off, there is no mass production here. The woods are exotic, beautifully selected and matched together tastefully. Decorative rings are either inlaid or cemented as layers between the various woods. Such woods as Koa with its 3-dimensional reflective properties, Gabon Ebony, Satinwood and Rengas Tigerwood are some examples of the woods I know he uses.

The staves are finished such that they are very comfortable to hold and the grip is pleasurable, even for long intervals. Various lengths, diameters and shapes are offered, and Brian is amenable to working with the individual to come up with the suitable penholder, either in oblique or straight conformations, in order to individually tailor the stave to that desired. The two I have (thusfar) gotten from him are both unusual and very sexy. The balance on both is terrific.

He fabricates his own brass flanges which enable angling and positioning (i.e., inward canting) for the writer's comfort and for maximal & equal contact by the tine tips as outlined by Dr. Joe Vitolo and others on IAMPETH's website. The flanges are well stabilized with slivers of wood.

What also blew me away was the 'presentation' upon arrival - each was packed securely within PVC tubes, and the staves were enveloped in a luxurious and exotic mini-tapestry delicately bound with a leather tie. A Zebra G nib was mounted in each flange and Brian was kind enough to even send along some vintage nibs he thought I would like to try out.

His prices are extremely reasonable for a product which could be far more expensive; and another terrific addition is the beautiful hand with which Brian addresses your mailing label; he also encloses a handwritten note which is a delight to behold both in content and style! You will see that he is very comfortable with Copperplate/Engrosser's and Spencerian - and I envy his flourishes!

Brian shares his ideas and impressions freely and it is a pleasure to have e-mail exchanges with him.

in summary, if I seem to be speaking in the superlative, you will understand why after you have purchased one (or more) of the creations from Unique Obliques on Etsy.

Here's a pic I shot this afternoon before I sat down to practice some writing...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/b_d_bop/BrianSmith_zpsc7046d86.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/b_d_bop/media/BrianSmith_zpsc7046d86.jpg.html)

Bogon07
August 7th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Great review.
Wonderful photo of stationery heaven -a lush idyllic garden setting, a comfy chair, a new parcel of stationery and a Hummingbird.
I like the balance of the red hibiscus and the birdfeeder. It was very considerate of the hummingbird to display a name banner behind itself.

The address label is a real work of art. Luckily your postperson can still read scripts.

cwent2
August 7th, 2013, 06:31 PM
+1 on the Humming Bird

subramaniyam
August 7th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Hi Jazzdoc!!

What a wonderful sight! Congratulations on your purchase. Although i have not bought anything, (yet. I am a n00b to dip pens) he does put a lot of thought and experience behind his creations. I've always admired his writing skills, but that label and letter are just awesome!!! Please do post writing samples.

Regards,
Sub

earthdawn
August 7th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Beautiful...

I really need to get one to play around with.

AND... Awesome package to receive!

Congrats

Musinkman
August 7th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Wow, Doc, thank you so much for the review! Really means a lot, and if I may be of assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me. I'm so happy that you were pleased with them! That 5-A+ extreme figured koa is the best that I've ever run across. Oh yeah, baby. Nothin' like a nice new pen staff to get your creative juices flowin'. I can't wait to see what you write with them!

Thanks again,

Brian Smith
Unique Oblique Custom Pens

JazzDoc
August 7th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Appreciate all the follow-up comments, people. Brian Smith is the real deal or I wouldn't have raved so.
But seriously - if you're truly into the comfort, balance and aesthetic aspects of the pointed pen, then get hold of Brian and make one of his axes yours!

I'm going to be up late tonite skating the paper with my new Gabon Ebony grip / Koa stemmed stave beauty. It'll be a Hunt 101 pen perched in that flange, I think...yes.

:thumb:

Life is good.

caliken
November 1st, 2013, 06:43 AM
Let me take this opportunity to lay some major kudos on Brian Smith (MusinkMan) of Unique Obliques (http://www.etsy.com/shop/UniqueObliques). Brian, as many in here already know, is a skilled craftsman interested in the art of turning gorgeous hand-created penholders/staves for dip pens. He also has an avid interest in penmanship and calligraphy.

This is another tribute to Brian Smith (MusinkMan) of Unique Obliques who supplied me with this wonderful, custom penholder.

Ken

JazzDoc
November 1st, 2013, 07:01 AM
Magnificent, Ken. A fitting Tribute indeed to Brian Smith's beautiful craft. That penholder is so appealing in form and balance. Cheers.

Musinkman
November 1st, 2013, 11:29 PM
Man...you guys are making me blush! LOL!

Here is a custom that I recently completed for Bill Kemp. I thought you guys might like to see it, and also wanted to exercise my bragging rights! hahaha