PDA

View Full Version : LORDS OF SHEAFFER at the DC Pen Show, starting today August 2013

david i
August 8th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Hi,

I've collected vintage Sheaffer pens (mostly pre-1965) since starting with our hobby back in 1998. Over the years quite a number of gem pens (both regarding condition and cachet/rarity) have ended up in the ol' collection.

I have a number of foci within the brand and having turned my interest (and arguable skill) to Sheaffer's 1930's Balance -- in no small part because I pretty well exhausted the pool of exotica in my prime collecting focus, Parker's Vacumatic, and because Balance offers similar niche challenges-- I've put together what might be the worlds heftiest collection of Sheaffer Balance with off-catalogue cap-band patters, though perhaps my friend Pat has still more. We are overdue for another collection comparison.

At the Washington DC Supershow (pen show) this weekend, I will have in tow the core of my off-catalogue cap-band Balance collection, the advanced stuff, with 40+ pens with (instead of the catalogued smooth single cap-band) double, triple and fish-scale cap-bands.

Additionally, as the proud owner of what appears to be the only known actual private jeweler's catalog that shows some of the off-catalogue cap-band pens that collectors long have known as "Jeweler's cap-band" pens, I will have that remarkable document with me to show to those who like that sort.

And, yes, there is more. For the first time I have collated my somewhat accidentally (or is that "incidentally") acquired collection of solid gold Sheaffer pens, ranging from a a poppin' flat-top from 1920's in hand-engraved-vine pattern, to three Sheaffer Balance (yes, Balance was done as "Masterpiece" in solid gold) including the only known "In Your Honor" set as well as an off-catalogue pattern piece, to a range of 1940's pens, a 1950 TM Touchdown, Snorkel (both USA 14k and English barley-pattern 9k) to an 1960's Imperial Masterpiece and one of only a couple known solid 9-k English Sheaffer PFM's.

Oh yeah, I'm also bringing the (eep!) World's Largest Collection of orange flat-top celluloid Sheaffers including many off-catalogue variants, one of the heftiest collections out there of cherry-celluloid Sheaffer flat-tops and the only Sheaffer sub-brand streamlined Univer I've ever seen.

Oh, and the best condition Chilton Wingflow all gold-filled set and a Parker Vacumatic Imperial Coronet.

And, my "world's greatest collection" of Parker Vacumatic with Vacumatic cap-band (21 pens and pencils of the possible 25).

This is the most signficant show-andt-tell I've brought to pen shows in years. I'm on vacation. I have some fresh stock for sale of course. But, mainly this time I want to catch up with pen collectors old and new and to do some teaching and learning about old pens.

Do find me at the show today-Sunday

regards

david

Jon Szanto
August 8th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Sorry to have to miss this, David. I would love to see those in person some day - have a great weekend at the show!

Ernst Bitterman
August 8th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Well, that's encouraging. If finding out I'm missing that heap of delights doesn't lead me to hang myself from mere despair, nothing can!

...but that's small consolation for missing that heap of delights.

Jeph
August 8th, 2013, 12:14 PM
just wow

aschup
August 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Man I wish I could see these.

Greg Minuskin
August 10th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Wow! What a collection, and knowledge base too David! One could only hope to have such a viewing and sadly, I cannot attend this year's show.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com