PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Vacumatic, a bit of help and advice needed.

Paul-H
August 8th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys

I am looking for some help and advice with this Parker 51 Vacumatic I have just bought on eBay.

Its a Dove Grey model with the Barrel Imprint showing Parker 51 Made in the USA, and a date code of what looks like 4 but the imprint is quite feint so cannot see if there are any dots.

The Cap has the standard Parker Arrow clip and its fitted with the Mark Vac Plunger, so when do you reckon it was made.

Also as you can see in the picture below the blind cap does not fit properly to the barrel and it sits flush on one side but has a slight overhang on the other. I have tried setting the pump unit in different positions but that has made no difference. Should it be flush or has someone fitted a cap of another pen which is what I suspect.

Thanks

Paul

Ernst Bitterman
August 8th, 2013, 11:47 AM
That style of clip didn't get onto the "51" until 1947, so if you're seeing a 4 in the date code it's not just the blind cap that's come from another body. I'd suggest a full dismantling to see what the code on the point is, but since I've found it odd to discover a "51" whose point and barrel agreed to within a couple of years, that's inconclusive. Also, unless you're a great-big-capital-C COLLECTOR, you're entirely justified in shrugging at the slightly Frankensteinish nature of the pen and enjoying it.

Paul-H
August 8th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Thanks Ernst, only a small c here :) it is a nice writer though so as you say, just enjoy it.

I was wondering about the cap as well, oh the joys of eBay purchases.

Paul