PDA

View Full Version : Look what I got given today for free as well, but oh the horror of it all

Paul-H
August 8th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Hi Guys

I was talking to a Friend of mine the other month and the subject of my latest hobby came up, namely Pen collecting, I have one you can have he said, it belonged to my Brother and he had got it when his Brother died last year.

It was in a box of stuff he had dumped in the loft, but he said he would dig it out and give it a clean and drop it in the post.

I thought nothing more of it until this morning when a package arrived in the post, I thought it was a pen I had bought of eBay from America until I see the UK postmark, it was from my Friend, and when I opened it guess what I found.

Yep a Nice Shiny just been cleaned and polished Montblanc 149, it has the brass threads on the filler so its not a vintage pen but wow. Then I took the cap off and was admiring my new best friend from my old best friend and I started to think some-things not right here, the nib was a genuine nib but it was an 18k monotone nib, which I thought was wrong for this pen, maybe the nib has been changed, so I took it out for a closer look and guess what. It was a two tone nib, well the bit that was down in the feed was, all the exposed part was mono toned. So I phoned my friend to thank him for the pen and during the conversation he let slip that when he was cleaning it it thought it would be a good idea to put a polishing head in his Dremel and give the nib a good polish as it was looking rather dull and dirty, yep he had machine polished all the silver tone of the nib.

Mustn't complain though the thought was there and its is still a buttery smooth writing pen, once properly cleaned that is.

I wonder how much that has knocked of its value, not that I am going top sell it, well not this one.

Paul

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Wow. Congrats and use it in good health. I would not worry too much about the monotone nib. I do see those nibs pop up from time to time on the bay. That is if you want the duotone nib.

dduran
August 8th, 2013, 10:10 AM
If it really matters to you, why not have it replated? :) 3rd party, of course :)
I like the look of it though, better than a two-tone, IMO, but 3-tone is still the best!

And.. congrats!

Jeph
August 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Why bother with the replating? It is still a wonderful, monster pen that looks good. And now you don't have to worry about banging the nib around and damaging the 2-tone pattern. :) Still a super gift.

tandaina
August 8th, 2013, 12:41 PM
I actually rather like the mono-tone nib!

Paul-H
August 8th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Yep its growing on me as well.

Paul

gwgtaylor
August 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I think the pen has more value now because of the story. Just imagining someone taking a Dremel to it. :-) glad it survived. Thanks for sharing and enjoy!

Fawkes
August 8th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Glad it survived, too, though I love MB two-tone nibs more than the tri-tones.

logantrky
August 8th, 2013, 07:42 PM
You can't complain with FREE. ;)

It's a beautiful pen, regardless. I would leave it how it is. It adds character. :)