PDA

View Full Version : Super Skinny Generic Fill Mechanism?

Jeph
August 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM
I was not sure where to put this, but since the the question is due to restoration (although this looks to be a relatively modern pen) I put it here.

In my most recent batch of el cheapo lottery buys, one of the pens was this very thin maroon pen with gold colored trim. There are no identifying markings anywhere on the pen. The nib is steel, gold washed, with "IRIDIUM POINT" stampted on it. The pen is metal. When I unscrewed the section, there was no fill mechanism present. I was sure that I would find that it took some kind of special thin cartridge. The rear of the section has a strange contour. The angle cut that you can see appears to be intentional (clean, smooth cut) but the end of the protruding flange looks like something broke off there. The interior of this section has nothing to retain a cartridge or converter; it is just a cylinder with the back of the feed very slightly recessed from the shortest edge. The interior of the barrel is completely smooth and the same golden color.

I am sure that this is some sort of low range pen, and even if I fix it I would not use it, but know I want to know how this pen was originally intended to be filled. There is no o-ring, nor provision for an o-ring to suggest it is an eyedropper.

Dimensions:

Length 138 mm 5 7/16” 5.438 in
Posted Length 150 mm 6 " 6.000 in
Unposted length 116 mm 4 35/64” 4.547 in
Barrel Length 104 mm 4 3/32” 4.094 in
Cap Length 60 mm 2 11/32” 2.344 in
Barrel Max Dia 7.5 mm 19/64" .298 in
Barrel Min Dia 6.0 mm 15/64” .236 in
Section Min Dia 6.0 mm 15/64” .236 in
Barrel ID 6.0 mm 15/64” .236 in for the first 2”

Thank you for any suggestions that may put my mind at ease. And that is corrosion around the nib collar.

Reference note: The text of this post disappeared every time that I selected "Preview Post"

tandaina
August 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Too skinny to take a cartridge? Perhaps this once had its own cartridges? Just given the design and age I'd sort of expect cartridges.

jde
August 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
It's a metal pen, not intended to be an eyedropper.

Probably did take carts and a converter, and now long out of production. I suspect. Maybe you'll luck out and find something that will work.

Take a look here at the Sailor Chalana: http://www.nibs.com/SailorChalana.html
Not your pen, but your pen looks a bit like a knock off.

tandaina
August 8th, 2013, 02:21 PM
The other thing you might try, is if there is any way to affix a sac to the thing and then use it as a squeeze filler? Not terribly efficient but MIGHT work?

whych
August 9th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Looks like a Pilot. You can get a Pilot V7 Hi-Techpoint together with 3 cartridges for less than the cost of a box of cartridges.

Jeph
August 9th, 2013, 04:05 AM
There are some similarities to the Sailor pen. It is probably a knock-off of that. I still don't see how a cartridge or converter will mate to that shape on the back of the section.

I could glue a sac on there, and maybe even find a donor spring from my parts pile to help make it work. I do not think it would be worth the effort.

This Pilot "slim" converter might fit, although not very well and it looks too large http://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-Fountain-Pen-Converter-for-Slim-Model/pd/5970

For reference, a Monteverde Mini converter will not even fit in the barrel.

jde
August 9th, 2013, 05:29 AM
Because the Monteverde Mini is not wide at the base. I'd look for a Sailor Chalana converter which will be wider at the base. It's not going to hold much ink, though, FYI. If you can find a Sailor Chalana cart, it will hold more ink. That is, if these fit your unknown pen. There are quite a few Chalana users on FPN, as I recall. Maybe they can confirm or deny that these items will work with your section.