PDA

View Full Version : Democrats and Democracy

Chuck Naill
January 7th, 2022, 06:33 AM
Mr. Brooks, like me, is a conservative. He also like me, never supported a Trump candidacy. I like what he says here and I think some of you will find it resonates with you as well.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/06/opinion/democrats-fail-defending-democracy.html?unlocked_article_code=AAAAAAAAAAAAA AAACEIPuonUktbfqYhkSVUbBSbSRdkhrxqAwvTCxbs3nHbiN22 bQDdGiugYDYWG90bLau9vat401C6ST84HMKMqQLY66N5jCHFXa lvipIqYytNCKj8pqIm3UyQ9gcrAALsxqnrgNWCzbbohyLH6th_ ea329X6GJ0H1yJgk288d1ZBr9jyxzs6TGE-Rz3td13v0zVNstFXpbOn7877S_AA5-Od6Gchjf9gAzPulYUjvQltaZgKkSJEQQURmVCSMivhtvrY9UK9 gVP63gLhY_e8KYgb8ZCGRgLIbBFIQMNH9N8q2mmAIW6xcwFEcA&smid=url-share

kazoolaw
January 7th, 2022, 06:37 AM
"So we rely on the Democrats to preserve our system of government." [1st para of linked article.\]
Start with an error and it's errors all the way down.
See, Preserve, protect and defend https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/34991-Preserve-protect-and-defend

Chuck Naill
January 7th, 2022, 07:07 AM
As always, the context is key to understanding the point, "When it comes to elections, the Republican Party operates within a carapace of lies. ". Do you disagree and if so, why?

TSherbs
January 10th, 2022, 08:28 PM
Pretty good article. A little breezy, but I see his point. Especially about local election officials and those boards that are part of the certification process on the county level.

And yeah, these giant bills in Congress drive me batty.

TSherbs
January 29th, 2022, 08:56 AM
Another article on the topic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/no-time-passive-patriotism/621377/

Chuck Naill
January 29th, 2022, 09:30 AM
Another article on the topic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/01/no-time-passive-patriotism/621377/

Good concept. I was immediately reminded on Abraham Lincoln's Gettysburg address where he went back 40 score and 7 or 87 years to the original concept of freedom for all. John Wilkes did more damage than he ever envisioned. I suspect reconstruction would have not resulted in the Southern concept of freedom to come about.

" In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."
G. Wallace

manoeuver
February 1st, 2022, 08:38 AM
Brooks is a millimeter to the right of Hillary Clinton. I do not identify as a conservative, but I know one when I see one. Brooks ain't it. Being the token conservative at the NYT is like being a tablespoon of water in a tank of gasoline.

The democrats he bends over backward to defend would roll him up in a rug with the rest of the deplorables and toss him off a cliff immediately in defense of any of their revolting narratives, and he'd deserve it.

ad hominems aside, the article is riddled with BS, from his bootlicking aquiescence to COVID-excused goalpost moving (sorry, fortifying democracy) to his autocratic top-down approach to solving problems that are local at their very core.

How do you write an article about systemic election problems without bringing up transparency? Garbage article from a toothless cog in the leftist war machine.

(a little later maybe I'll tell you how I really feel about it.)

Chuck Naill
February 1st, 2022, 09:12 AM
Obviously, you’ve never read the Times or Brooks.

William F. Buckley was his mentor. I prefer a conservative Iike Brooks and George Will, but we all have to decide those things for ourselves.

TSherbs
February 1st, 2022, 02:18 PM
Brooks is a millimeter to the right of Hillary Clinton. I do not identify as a conservative, but I know one when I see one. Brooks ain't it. Being the token conservative at the NYT is like being a tablespoon of water in a tank of gasoline.

The democrats he bends over backward to defend would roll him up in a rug with the rest of the deplorables and toss him off a cliff immediately in defense of any of their revolting narratives, and he'd deserve it.

ad hominems aside, the article is riddled with BS, from his bootlicking aquiescence to COVID-excused goalpost moving (sorry, fortifying democracy) to his autocratic top-down approach to solving problems that are local at their very core.

How do you write an article about systemic election problems without bringing up transparency? Garbage article from a toothless cog in the leftist war machine.

(a little later maybe I'll tell you how I really feel about it.)

What transparency do you mean?

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 07:24 AM
Obviously, you’ve never read the Times or Brooks.

William F. Buckley was his mentor. I prefer a conservative Iike Brooks and George Will, but we all have to decide those things for ourselves.

Again, I suppose I do not prefer conservatives with a strong statist bent like the guys you've mentioned. I've read Brooks, not often, he turns my stomach every time.

To assert I've never read the Times is very silly. I read it daily 20 years ago, I don't bother now as they've absolutely squandered any credibility they had (over Orange Hitler Bad for eff sakes.)
I don't take a word they print without a heroic dose of salt, they're political actors, absolute hacks at the Times.

I suppose in the name of good faith I ought to retract my no true scotsman criticism of Brooks. So I will. I maintain he's an establishment shill and his Democrat ass-sucking is revolting.

It's important to note whatever I say comes from my admittedly extreme anti-authoritarian viewpoint. I have said out loud I wished Rand Paul wasn't such a statist. From my viewpoint Brooks is practically a Clinton surrogate.

I understand how that probably seems insane to most normal folks. Thank you for your patience.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 07:32 AM

Easily auditable elections without the possibility for or appearance of shenanigans. Accountability and consequences for anyone who tries to meddle.

Elections should be decided by quick and accurate counting free of political interference. So many of our elections are decided by lawsuits, you'd think we'd have learned our lesson in 2000.

Our system is a laughingstock.

Chuck Naill
February 2nd, 2022, 08:05 AM
It actually worked very well for everyone except one. How would you make it better? I don't expect a straight answer.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 08:25 AM
It actually worked very well for everyone except one. How would you make it better? I don't expect a straight answer.

"Worked very well" is a synonym for "Our guy won."

Straight answer: look at the election policies of developed countries who do not have the problems we have. There are many such examples.
Here's a quick bullet list of improvements we could make off the top of my head:

Require ID
Paper ballots
Totals tallied at the voting locations

You seem to intimate that our elections can't be improved or it would be some herculean task. Bullshit. It's counting for fucks sake.

I posit that DNC and GOP party hacks actually prefer murky and incoherent election policies as they are easier to manipulate. It's toxic.

TSherbs
February 2nd, 2022, 08:29 AM

Easily auditable elections without the possibility for or appearance of shenanigans.

I'm am in the understanding that audits are done every year in every state. They are "easily done" and, I thought, required by state laws. These are submitted to states attorneys general (is my understanding). Been that way for a while now. My guess is that the reports are a matter of public record (but I don't really know).

I'm not sure what you mean beyond what is already done.

I'd like a national holiday to vote, and I would like to have universally available mail-in and/or electronic voting. We actually don't do much to encourage voter participation for the working class (especially not compared to some other countries).

Chuck Naill
February 2nd, 2022, 08:38 AM

Straight answer: look at the election policies of developed countries who do not have the problems we have. There are many such examples.
Here's a quick bullet list of improvements we could make off the top of my head:

Require ID
Paper ballots

You seem to intimate that our elections can't be improved or it would be some herculean task. Bullshit. It's counting for fucks sake.

I posit that DNC and GOP party hacks actually prefer murky and incoherent election policies as they are easier to manipulate. It's toxic.

I asked how you would improve, not more profanity and stupid personal attacks. Do you have a reading challenge?

Biden did win. Brady did loose his last football game. He didn't claim otherwise.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 09:00 AM

Easily auditable elections without the possibility for or appearance of shenanigans.

I'm am in the understanding that audits are done every year in every state. They are "easily done" and, I thought, required by state laws. These are submitted to states attorneys general (is my understanding). Been that way for a while now. My guess is that the reports are a matter of public record (but I don't really know).

I'm not sure what you mean beyond what is already done.

I'd like a national holiday to vote, and I would like to have universally available mail-in and/or electronic voting. We actually don't do much to encourage voter participation for the working class (especially not compared to some other countries).

TSherbs, looks like you know more about the auditing process than I do so I'll defer to you on that, but it seems to me good transparent auditing would mostly eliminate the extremely damaging controversies around elections.

I think a holiday is probably a good idea, I would likely get behind that.

Mail-in voting is a question mark for me. Chain of custody of ballots is a huge opportunity for shenanigans. This is why I also oppose ballot harvesting; it's ripe for cheating.

I maintain electronic voting is a terrible idea. I don't even like the electronic voting machines used at many polling places now. Remote electronic voting is a total non-starter for me.

Voting should be easy but not effortless. One should care enough about voting to show up at a place at a time to participate.

Chuck Naill
February 2nd, 2022, 09:05 AM
Mail in voting was important given the pandemic. Paper ballots have a good history including military use. People think otherwise because of conspiracies. I never heard of a concern before Trump made it one.

When I moved, I was asked if I wanted to register to vote. I didn't initiate. I always use early voting.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 09:07 AM

Require ID
Paper ballots

I asked how you would improve, not more profanity and stupid personal attacks. Do you have a reading challenge?

Biden did win. Brady did loose his last football game. He didn't claim otherwise.

Did you miss my bulleted list of improvements? Here it is again, try not to miss it, I'll even make it bigger for you.

Require ID
Paper ballots

Obviously Biden won, he's in the White House. Who claimed otherwise? Not I.

If you had any rhetorical skill whatsoever I wouldn't entertain myself with the personal jabs.

If you know anyone who shares your views who is good at arguing please refer them here as you are fucking boring.

dneal
February 2nd, 2022, 09:32 AM
I never watch broadcast TV, but I turned it on today to check on the forecast of our snowstorm. ABC comes in best, and our local affiliate is the best of the networks for weather.

Lo and behold, "The View" was on. They were talking about some politician, pro-life / pro-choice viewpoints, etc... Whatever. Then Joy Behar adds: "That's what I don't understand about Gorsuch. He's supposed to be pro-life, but he won't wear a mask..."

It was an odd comment that had no bearing on the conversation. Just some random snide remark that demonstrated a lack of a capacity for context, reason, reasonableness, and other things. An addled brain, poisoned with blue kook-aide and only capable of woke nonsense and quips. It reminded me of a certain poster in certain an internet forum.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 10:19 AM
I never watch broadcast TV, but I turned it on today to check on the forecast of our snowstorm. ABC comes in best, and our local affiliate is the best of the networks for weather.

Lo and behold, "The View" was on. They were talking about some politician, pro-life / pro-choice viewpoints, etc... Whatever. Then Joy Behar adds: "That's what I don't understand about Gorsuch. He's supposed to be pro-life, but he won't wear a mask..."

It was an odd comment that had no bearing on the conversation. Just some random snide remark that demonstrated a lack of a capacity for context, reason, reasonableness, and other things. An addled brain, poisoned with blue kook-aide and only capable of woke nonsense and quips. It reminded me of a certain poster in certain an internet forum.

on Thanksgiving my in-laws had the Macy's parade on, it occurred to me that network TV is a sewer pipe millions of people allow to flow into their homes. revolting.

Chuck Naill
February 2nd, 2022, 10:45 AM

Require ID
Paper ballots

Did you miss my bulleted list of improvements? Here it is again, try not to miss it, I'll even make it bigger for you.

Require ID
Paper ballots

Obviously Biden won, he's in the White House. Who claimed otherwise? Not I.

If you had any rhetorical skill whatsoever I wouldn't entertain myself with the personal jabs.

If you know anyone who shares your views who is good at arguing please refer them here as you are fucking boring.

You're a waste of my attention.

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 12:02 PM

probably true, you absolutely can't hang.

maybe try arguing with fellow midwits on a cooking message board or something. best of luck.

Chuck Naill
February 2nd, 2022, 02:32 PM

maybe try arguing with fellow midwits on a cooking message board or something. best of luck.

This type of insult has been used before. It appears you have little or no understanding of which you blab on about. So, it only makes sense to you to be critical and make personal attacks your retorts. You should at least be honest with yourself. You don't like what's going on and you are pissed. Your problem is not with me, Brooks, or a news source.

What we are discussing is a matter of record. The comments regarding Brooks and the Time is what a child might utter who has not the ability to read for themselves but are still dependent upon what an adult might say. So, you are a repeater rather than a thinker.

dneal
February 2nd, 2022, 03:07 PM
It appears you have little or no understanding of which you blab on about. So, it only makes sense to you to be critical and make personal attacks your retorts. You should at least be honest with yourself.

Holy shit Chuck, my sides are aching!!! LOL!!!

manoeuver
February 2nd, 2022, 04:46 PM

This type of insult has been used before. It appears you have little or no understanding of which you blab on about. So, it only makes sense to you to be critical and make personal attacks your retorts. You should at least be honest with yourself. You don't like what's going on and you are pissed. Your problem is not with me, Brooks, or a news source.

What we are discussing is a matter of record. The comments regarding Brooks and the Time is what a child might utter who has not the ability to read for themselves but are still dependent upon what an adult might say. So, you are a repeater rather than a thinker.

Perhaps you're right Chuck. I'll think about that.

724Seney
February 2nd, 2022, 05:11 PM
It appears you have little or no understanding of which you blab on about. So, it only makes sense to you to be critical and make personal attacks your retorts. You should at least be honest with yourself.

Me too!
Hey everybody, get some popcorn and pull up a chair! This is the best food fight since "Animal House!"

One can only hope they will kill each other off!!

dneal
February 2nd, 2022, 05:20 PM

Me too!
Hey everybody, get some popcorn and pull up a chair! This is the best food fight since "Animal House!"

I’m only commenting on the hilarious irony of our resident Joy Behar. manouever’s points (and commentary on the predictable responses he received) are sagacious.

kazoolaw
February 4th, 2022, 09:05 AM
" In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever."
G. Wallace

...it’s worth noting that the only person in modern American politics to have repeatedly praised Wallace and other segregationists is Joe Biden. It was Biden who bragged that in 1973 Wallace considered him “one of the outstanding young politicians of America.” It was Biden who wrote in 1975 that the “Democratic Party could stand a liberal George Wallace.” It was Biden who in 1981 told a black witness in the Senate that “sometimes even George Wallace is right.” It was Biden who, while campaigning for the presidency in Alabama in 1987, claimed that he’d been the recipient of an award from Wallace in 1973 (it probably wasn’t true; but what a thing to brag about!), and then boasted that Delaware was “on the South’s side in the Civil War.”
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/speaking-of-george-wallace/

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 09:21 AM

Me too!

Gratuitous human death has been made to be like throwing out a used butt wipe. Thanks for providing an example of the degradation.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 10:15 AM
Be careful 724Seney, Chuck might ignore you too!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 10:24 AM
sorry, can't see.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 10:27 AM
sorry, can't see.

Chuck, you’re killing me LMAO!!!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 11:17 AM
If you are on my ignore list, I am unable to read your post. This occurred because of something you did to provoke my angst. If you apologize profusely, I might reconsider. However, I am probably better off not reading.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 12:04 PM
If you are on my ignore list, I am unable to read your post. This occurred because of something you did to provoke my angst. If you apologize profusely, I might reconsider. However, I am probably better off not reading.

Chuck, we both know you're clicking the "view post" option. You don't have the self-discipline not to, and how else would you know whether or not I "apologize profusely"? Now you're just mad because you've looked, seen I was mocking you for acting like a petulant toddler; and inadvertently contributed to the joke. Even this post I'm quoting smacks of more petulant toddler.

So don't hold your breath waiting for me to "apologize profusely". Toddlers do that too.

You've received precisely the behavior you exhibit in this forum. Do you not see the similarity in themes? The "LOL's" with multiple exclamation points? The weird pontification that constitutes a strawman argument, pathetically veiled to hide personal attack? Do you think that's coincidental?

It seems you have found that objectionable to the point of having to "ignore" (which you aren't). Perhaps you should consider your own behavior, since you don't like it when it's applied to your posts.

If anyone owes an apology, it's you. manouver's point remains valid - you suck at this.

Goober boy. (did I get that one right?) LOL!!!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 12:10 PM
:nono:

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 12:15 PM
:nono:

ROFL!!! Do you think you're the thought police, Mr. Orwell? LMAO!!!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 12:18 PM
I do click to view occasionally, but unfortunately it just confirms my decision not to have to view the nonsense of Trumpian participants, and videos of Bannon telling @dneal that he is right. There will come a time after Trump is re-elected where you will say, "what the F&%K. Then it will be too late. However, carry one in your private la la land until that occurs. At that time you will not be allowed to post here.

Of course, you will not vote and then think you're safe from accountability. I'll never forget how upset you got when I suggested you shouldn't ask of an ICU bed. That tells me you balls are small. At least a proper man stands by his position and goes down with the ship he's constructed.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 12:24 PM
I know you click "view". I told you that you couldn't stand it, and you would peek. You didn't even make it a day "ignoring" me, and now you're back to the petty insults.

Petulant toddler. LMAO!!!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 12:30 PM
I maintain control....LOL!!

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 12:34 PM

LOL is right!

LMAO!!!

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 01:02 PM

LOL is right!

LMAO!!!

ROTFLMAO if that helps @denail I mean @dneal.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 01:09 PM

LOL is right!

LMAO!!!

ROTFLMAO if that helps @denail I mean @dneal.

Well, you’re back to making zero sense again. Must be the Covid fog from your recent infection - since your vaccines and boosters didn’t actually vaccinate you.

Chuck Naill
February 4th, 2022, 01:19 PM
What's ironic is that you think you make sense. Trump has really had a deleterious effect.

If you get infected, please let the children who have not been able to receive the vaccine have your bed. After all, you've had your time and chosen to be stupid. Give others a chance.

dneal
February 4th, 2022, 01:48 PM
So I'm off your "ignore" list now?

Didn't even last a day. Hypocrite. LOL!!!

TSherbs
February 6th, 2022, 06:15 AM
The recent court cases, by both sides, over gerrymandering are another reason I hate politics. Blecchh.

manoeuver
February 6th, 2022, 09:28 AM
The recent court cases, by both sides, over gerrymandering are another reason I hate politics. Blecchh.

my favorite is how each side decries gerrymandering while doing their damnedest to redraw districts yet again but 'fairly this time.' riiiight.

TSherbs
February 6th, 2022, 09:35 AM

my favorite is how each side decries gerrymandering while doing their damnedest to redraw districts yet again but 'fairly this time.' riiiight.

agreed

tiresome, endless power grabbing

TSherbs
March 31st, 2022, 07:06 PM
Some limitations placed on Florida GOP rules changes around voting.

Reuters.com: Florida judge blocks Republican-backed voting law as discriminatory.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-judge-rules-new-republican-backed-voting-restrictions-unconstitutional-2022-03-31/

dneal
March 31st, 2022, 07:28 PM
The ruling is likely to be appealed to the 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, which is widely seen as a more conservative court. Walker was appointed to the bench by Democratic then-President Barack Obama.

Walker also criticized the U.S. Supreme Court for its 2013 decision weakening the Voting Rights Act (VRA), the federal civil rights legislation that protects minority voters from discrimination. That ruling struck down a key provision, known as preclearance, that required certain states with a history of racial discrimination to get federal approval to change voting laws.

As part of his decision, Walker said he would require preclearance for the next 10 years for any new law governing third-party voter registration groups, drop boxes or aid to voters waiting in line.

Good luck with your ruling, Judge Walker.

Chuck Naill
March 31st, 2022, 07:32 PM
Speaking of Florida, https://rescueamerica.com/11-point-plan/ This plan is not democratic. It is the minority forcing the majority to live and behave as they see fit. I listened to a mother say they were selling their home in Texas and moving to Portland before CPS was administrating interviews she would have with her children.

I just place a hold on How the South Won the Civil War , Oligarchy, Democracy, and the Continuing Fight for the Soul of America

Chuck Naill
April 1st, 2022, 05:21 AM
This week on March 29, Trump requested that Putin, yeah the same one lying to his people and killing Ukrainians, to provide information on Hunter Biden.

dneal
April 28th, 2023, 06:19 AM
Some limitations placed on Florida GOP rules changes around voting.

Reuters.com: Florida judge blocks Republican-backed voting law as discriminatory.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/florida-judge-rules-new-republican-backed-voting-restrictions-unconstitutional-2022-03-31/

TSherbs seems to enjoy posting this sort of thing, but never the follow-ups.

Poor Judge Walker. Another decision overturned.

Appeals court upholds Florida voting restrictions approved by GOP lawmakers (https://www.politico.com/news/2023/04/27/appeals-court-upholds-florida-voting-restrictions-00094327)

In an extraordinary move, the judge in the 2022 decision, U.S. District Judge Mark Walker, ordered the state to get court approval for a decade before it enacts changes in three areas of election law.

But on Thursday, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals determined that Walker’s 288-page order was based on legal errors and “clearly erroneous” findings of fact. The appeals court sent the case back to the lower court for review.

It also reversed the requirement that Florida needs prior clearance to change parts of voting law. It affirmed Walker’s ruling that a restriction on soliciting voters within 150 feet of a ballot drop box was unconstitutionally vague.

dneal
September 23rd, 2023, 10:16 AM
Judge Walker posts another “L”. I think this is 3 times his ridiculous decisions have been overturned.

Federal Court Chides Dem Activists: There’s Nothing Racist About Election Integrity Laws Like Florida’s (https://thefederalist.com/2023/09/22/federal-court-chides-dem-activists-theres-nothing-racist-about-election-integrity-laws-like-floridas/)

A full federal appeals court declined to take up Democrat groups’ challenge of Florida’s 2021 election integrity law on Thursday, marking a major win for Gov. Ron DeSantis and the GOP-controlled state legislature.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Thursday’s decision by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals “let stand an April ruling by a three-judge panel of the [court] that sided with the state on major issues in the case.” The 11th Circuit’s April decision effectively overturned a prior ruling issued by U.S. District Judge Mark Walker — an Obama appointee — who baselessly claimed the law in question discriminated against black voters.

“What are the supposedly racist provisions that the district judge enjoined officials from enforcing?” Chief Judge William Pryor wrote of the court’s Thursday decision. “They are unremarkable, race-neutral policies designed to bolster election security, maintain order at the polls and ensure that voter-registration forms are delivered on time.”

Signed into law in May 2021, SB 90 includes numerous provisions heavily supported by election integrity activists and American voters. According to a DeSantis press release, the statute “strengthens existing voter ID laws, bans ballot harvesting, prohibits unsolicited mass mailing of ballots, increases election transparency, and prohibits private money from administering elections.”

In his March 2022 decision, Walker claimed that Florida lawmakers demonstrated “intent to discriminate against Black voters” and that the statute is “the stark result[] of a political system that, for well over a century, has overrepresented White Floridians and underrepresented Black and Latino Floridians.” The majority of the 11th Circuit’s three-judge panel disagreed, writing in April that Walker’s allegations of “intentional racial discrimination rest on both legal errors and clearly erroneous findings of fact.”

“Under our precedent, this history cannot support a finding of discriminatory intent in this case. Florida’s more recent history does not support a finding of discriminatory intent,” Pryor wrote.

Chuck Naill
September 23rd, 2023, 03:36 PM
Word salad

dneal
September 23rd, 2023, 04:16 PM
Yes it was, which is why Judge Walker’s decisions keep getting overturned.