PDA

View Full Version : Con Men

Chuck Naill
January 7th, 2022, 09:47 AM
They have always been an interest. I won't mention a poor example of one, but others are entertaining

From Oh Brother...
"Big Dan Teague:
[approaches Everett and Delmar's table] I don't believe I've seen you boys around here before. Allow me to introduce myself. Name of Daniel Teague. Known in these precincts as Big Dan Teague. Or, to those who are pressed for time, Big Dan, tout court!

Everett:
How you doin', Big Dan? My name is Ulysses Everett McGill. This is my associate, Delmar O'Donnell. I detect like me, you're endowed with the gift of gab.

Big Dan Teague:
I flatter myself that such is the case. In my line of work it's plumb necessary. The one thing you don't want... is air in the conversation.

Everett:
Once again, we find ourselves in agreement. What kind of work do you do, Big Dan?

Big Dan Teague:
Sales, Mr. McGill, sales! And what do I sell? The Truth! Every blessed word of it, from Genesee on down to Revelations. That's right, the word of God, which let me tell you there is damn good money in during these times of woe and want. People are lookin' for answers, and Big Dan sells the only book that's got 'em! And what do you do, you and your tongue-tied friend?

Delmar:
We, uh...

Everett:
Uh, we're adventurers, sir, currently pursuing a certain opportunity, but we're open to others as well.

Big Dan Teague:
I like your style, young man. So I'm gonna propose you a proposition: You cover my bill so I don't have to run back upstairs, get your waitress to wrap your dinner picnic-style, and we shall retire to more private environs, where I will tell you how there are vast amounts of money to be made in the service of God Almighty.

Everett:
Well, why not? If nothing else, I could use some civilized conversation.

Big Dan Teague:
Don't forget your shoebox, friend."

Thoughts?