PDA

View Full Version : Help needed. ID & value.

attika89
August 9th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Hi everyone!

I saw these two pens online, but I'm not too sure about the fountain pen.
It is most probably a 400, but I don't really know, and I can not even guess how old it can be.
I hope you can help me out here :help:

What would be good price for them?
Is the single tone 18k nib anything rare?

(They are mismatched if I'm correct. The bp is 355)

Thank you very much for taking a look :wave:

KrazyIvan
August 9th, 2013, 11:24 AM
This page may help: http://www.ruettinger-web.de/e-pelikan-modell-400.html

attika89
August 9th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Thank you Ivan!
I was browsing through the site, but I did not find what I am looking for. Am I missing something?
No pen there with the same gold bands. Two on the cap like one the new pens, but only one on the piston knob and one at the end of the grip section.
:confused:

jar
August 9th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you Ivan!
I was browsing through the site, but I did not find what I am looking for. Am I missing something?
No pen there with the same gold bands. Two on the cap like one the new pens, but only one on the piston knob and one at the end of the grip section.
:confused:

That is an old style 600, the same size as an M-200 or 400 but 18K nib and extra gold band at turning knob and on cap. Not terribly unusual but only made for a short period. See the three pens on the right in this picture; they are a black 600, older 400 and older 200.

http://www.fototime.com/30011DE4F522216/large.jpg

attika89
August 9th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Thank you for the information jar!
Very helpful, I really appreciate it! :thumb:

Could you tell me what would be a good price for a pen like this?

jar
August 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Thank you for the information jar!
Very helpful, I really appreciate it! :thumb:

Could you tell me what would be a good price for a pen like this?

No idea I fear. I'd guess about the same as an M-400 from the period.

cedargirl
August 9th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Yep. The band configuration is the same as mine - since identified as an old style M600. I needed help from here to id it as I couldn't find a picture. Mine dates from the early 1980s.

attika89
August 10th, 2013, 12:21 AM
No idea I fear. I'd guess about the same as an M-400 from the period.
I'll try to look up some sold listings on ebay then. I think if I can get these two under $100 that would be great.

Yep. The band configuration is the same as mine - since identified as an old style M600. I needed help from here to id it as I couldn't find a picture. Mine dates from the early 1980s.
:thumb:

attika89
August 14th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Here it is!

I'm so amazed how soft that 18k nib is! It flexes to almost 2 mm!
The flow is odd though. It just decides to stop sometimes...

http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/8/14/a1_2013_8_14_bvnafb6haq.jpg,

http://www.kephost.com/images4/2013/8/14/a1_2013_8_14_h6pfj5jrjz.jpg

Ernst Bitterman
August 15th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Looking at the shape of the slit and the slight disalingment of the tines, I'm not surprised to hear that the flow stops (although saddened, because its a nice pen in every other respect). I suspect if the left tine is made to lie down properly by the right, the convexity of the slit will go away and it will write like a dream.

cedargirl
August 17th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Here it is!

I'm so amazed how soft that 18k nib is! It flexes to almost 2 mm!

Just because you can flex it 2mm, doesn't mean that you should. From my limited experience - so I may be wrong -these are not flex nibs. Yes, there is some spring in it, but it is not designed to 'flex', especially that much. I understand that the modern Mxxx pens have very firm nibs, in comparison. To get a full flexy Pelikan you have to get the much older ones - especially the 100 and 400 series.

AndyLa
August 17th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Yeah be careful of flexing, you might permanently spring the nib.

tandaina
August 17th, 2013, 07:14 AM
I have many of those nibs and tons of other old Pelikan nibs. They are NOT flex nibs. The ones older than the 60s are often SEMI flex but with the exception of some very rare 30s nibs NONE will survive the sort of flex in your writing sample for long. Please ease up on it, lovely nib t would be a shame to spring it or snap a tine...

attika89
August 25th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Thank you for the warning everyone! I'll be careful with the nib.
The tines were already a bit misaligned when I got it, so I think it will go to a nibmeister soon.

BTW if I remember well, I have read somewhere that most of the nibs that we now consider to be "flex nibs" were not used for flex writing either.
Any truth in that?