PDA

View Full Version : My Jewelry Repair Nib Exchange-Not Happy

bunnspecial
January 17th, 2022, 05:08 PM
I sent two pens-a Great Characters Disney and a 146 80 Days-for nib swaps.

Both were within one year-the Disney was January 16th purchase(it was received in their facility January 13th) and the 80 Days was sometime in May.

I received a "repair estimate" just a little while on the Disney.

Apparently first of all the Disney that has been inked twice(both times with MB ink since I knew I'd be sending it) and lived in my pen case has otherwise lived at my desk was stated as follows

Quote: To return your writing instrument to working condition will require service level 3. This service includes careful examination and diagnosis, complete disassembly, cleaning and exchange of broken or worn pieces including the damaged nib. We look forward to bringing your writing instrument back to life. Preexisting condition: Received Normal wear and tear on body, cap and clip. client request for nib exchange to (OBB) . complimentary warranty of nib exchange is expired.

I'll add that even though it was empty, I flushed it with water and then dried it the day before packing and shipping so I know there's nothing on the pen that could possibly not be operational.

The estimate on all of this is $392.

So, a pen they received within one year of my purchase requires a level 3 service to "return to operating condition" even though "normal wear and tear" were the issues noted...

No estimate on the 80s days, but I'm BEYOND pissed about this. I will be on the phone with them as soon as they open in the morning as I do not consider this acceptable, although I have already sent a message through Contact Us.

bunnspecial
January 17th, 2022, 07:53 PM
Well, apparently MJR is changing the rules and it's now 3 months, not 1 year as Montblanc's website still states6668066681

junglejim
January 17th, 2022, 09:04 PM
Apparently MJR is not reading what Montblanc USA has stated in their Services warranty. Assuming you still have the dated receipts, I would contact the Montblanc Concierge Sevice at 1-800-995-4810 and speak to their Ambassador (0900-2000hrs EST M-F) and let Montblanc know MJR is not honoring Montblanc's written policy on nib exchanges. Tell Montblanc you can fax/email copies of the receipts for their examination.

I'm still waiting on my MB Large Boheme received by MJR on 04 August 2021.

All the Best.

Chrissy
January 17th, 2022, 11:10 PM
junglejim, when we were all following your thread about your own worrying experiences with MJR I suspected that there may be problems ahead with that company and this very sad thread has not surprised me at all. :(

The service warranty that bunnspecial quoted from the Montblanc.com website is actually a worldwide warranty and the fact that MJR either hasn't read it, isn't following it or doesn't know which pens are LE's is shockingly bad. They need to correct their mistakes quickly before upsetting/alienating more Montblanc users. :(

I know the Montblanc CEO is aware of some of these problems. Not sure what he might be doing about them though. :(

Hopefully these problems will be resolved quickly.

mizgeorge
January 18th, 2022, 08:09 AM
That's just appalling. They must be making a packet ripping people off with unnecessary service charges if that's how they operate.

bunnspecial
January 18th, 2022, 09:51 AM
Alright, I hope a resolution may be forthcoming.

Although per their instructions I sent a copy of the warranty page(not the complete book) on both pens and a copy of the receipt, I was told today that they would need to see proof of purchase date.

I have just provided that.

Also, someone on FPN did point out to me that 1 year is stated for "Limited Editions." In some places on their website MB refers to the Disney as a "Special Edition"(as opposed to the 1901 edition, which by any measurable standard is limited) and the warranty book does state "Special Edition."

Also, there's no mention I can find of the 80 days being anything other than a standard pen, never mind that it most certainly is not a standard production 146 nor does it use a standard 146 nib.

This is my first time using MB service. It's a real shame that it's not been such a great experience so far. I'm also not particularly happy that whether they do the swap or not, junglejim's and others experience here seems to indicate that I'm going to have to pay another $25 or so to get my pens back.

bunnspecial
January 18th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Looking at this quote a little closer-the picture didn't show up last night but the pictured pen is not the WD but rather the 80 days.

Are they so incompetent here that they can't tell the difference between the two?66721

Chrissy
January 18th, 2022, 02:38 PM
Alright, I hope a resolution may be forthcoming.

Although per their instructions I sent a copy of the warranty page(not the complete book) on both pens and a copy of the receipt, I was told today that they would need to see proof of purchase date.

I have just provided that.

Also, someone on FPN did point out to me that 1 year is stated for "Limited Editions." In some places on their website MB refers to the Disney as a "Special Edition"(as opposed to the 1901 edition, which by any measurable standard is limited) and the warranty book does state "Special Edition."

Also, there's no mention I can find of the 80 days being anything other than a standard pen, never mind that it most certainly is not a standard production 146 nor does it use a standard 146 nib.

This is my first time using MB service. It's a real shame that it's not been such a great experience so far. I'm also not particularly happy that whether they do the swap or not, junglejim's and others experience here seems to indicate that I'm going to have to pay another $25 or so to get my pens back.
The other thread made interesting reading. While there may be a technical difference between a LE and a SE, I agree with you that no way is this a standard edition and those are the only pens that seem to qualify for the 80 day limit.

Maybe I would be asking if Montblanc are calling this a standard edition with an unlimited run or a limited edition that won't be produced for very long.

I had a free nib exchange on a special edition pen over 3 years after I bought it. The only criteria was that the nib was in saleable condition and absolutely mint. It clearly qualified as my pen started life with a F nib and it now has an OB nib. Full disclosure was that Montblanc had made a mess of my nib when repairing one of my WE's so following a complaint to the CEO I had someone assigned to my case who I could deal with and he said if there was anything else I wanted, to just ask - So I just asked. They sent me a special post pack to return the pen in so I paid nothing at all.

However, in this instance perhaps I'm rather more fortunate to be in the UK and not the US as I would rapidly have lost patience with My Jewelry Repair after hearing these stories.

bunnspecial
January 18th, 2022, 05:57 PM
The other thread made interesting reading. While there may be a technical difference between a LE and a SE, I agree with you that no way is this a standard edition and those are the only pens that seem to qualify for the 80 day limit.

If these in fact are not "limited edition" pens, perhaps I should insist that they sell me some of the others I'd like but missed out on.

I did like the red 146 from the Le Petit Prince series, and after all if it's not a limited edition pen they should make me one, right?

While we're at it, I liked the Kennedy also but wasn't buying MBs at the time. They should be able to make me the regular special, right, if it's not limited?

Chrissy
January 18th, 2022, 11:45 PM
Maybe MJR have mixed up the pens but as they are now requesting proof of purchase for the Disney they have realised their mistake.

bunnspecial
January 19th, 2022, 08:13 AM
Maybe MJR have mixed up the pens but as they are now requesting proof of purchase for the Disney they have realised their mistake.

Hopefully so. It does concern me a bit that they've not looked at the 80 days yet, but then perhaps my being a "squeaky wheel" had them put the stop on it while they look into it.

I wonder too if MB Germany would have any sway over MJR since AFAIK their contract is with MB USA. Still, though, the "mothership" has their brand reputation to worry about, and one of the things that does set premium/luxury brands apart is their level and quality of service.

Even if this is ultimately resolved, the fact that MJR didn't know the policy first of all concerns me, and second I wouldn't necessarily consider this a perfect experience given that they've now been handling MB service for 6 months and it's almost like dealing with health insurance to get them to pay for something that that they should.

bunnspecial
January 24th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Well, I was just prompted to approve two quotes at a charge of $0, so have done so. I had to pay for return shipping($31) upfront and I'm guessing it will be several weeks to get the nibs from Germany, but it looks like at least they honored the nib exchange period with some...prompting.

Chrissy
January 24th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Isn't it such a good job you were on the ball and questioned their prices? Hope they don't take too long and they are great when you get them back. :)

junglejim
January 25th, 2022, 07:47 PM
glad to hear the nibs are finally moving along, bunnspecial. The sad thing is all the aggravation and emails/calls you had to make just to solve a very straightforward situation. This is something that MJR should have been trained on long ago and reflects poorly on the MontblancUSA franchise as a whole.

Chrissy
January 26th, 2022, 12:51 AM
The sad thing is all the aggravation and emails/calls you had to make just to solve a very straightforward situation. This is something that MJR should have been trained on long ago and reflects poorly on the MontblancUSA franchise as a whole.
Very true and it is probably costing Montblanc much goodwill. Hopefully they are aware of this.

bunnspecial
January 26th, 2022, 06:15 AM
Isn't it such a good job you were on the ball and questioned their prices? Hope they don't take too long and they are great when you get them back. :)

Yes, I'm not sorry to have pushed even though it was a lot of aggravation from my end.

All of my communication was very clear that I expected this work to be done at no charge and basically when I pushed and they seemed to drag their feet I asked for a firm answer so that, among others, I could report their refusal to honor the warranty both to Montblanc corporate and also the CA Attorney General. I'd hate to think I'd have to do either of those, but that's it. In some communication with Montblanc NA, I did mention that it was not the quality of service I expected from a brand of the caliber of Montblanc of which I've been a loyal, if not particularly high volume, customer.

I'm also a bit worried that some folks on FPN are having to send their 146 Calligraphies in for inadequate flow/etc-apparently a problem that cropped up in the first batch of 149Cs also. I'm hoping that when mine finally does arrive, I won't find myself needing to send it back. I consider it an additional black mark on Montblanc NA that a person needs to spend ~$60+ to even have an in-warranty pen looked at, and I'd be afraid on something like the 146C that it might be difficult to get MJR to understand the problem with railroading when flexing, etc.

Chrissy
January 26th, 2022, 10:23 AM
.....I'd be afraid on something like the 146C that it might be difficult to get MJR to understand the problem with railroading when flexing, etc.
Going by some known experiences with MJR so far that sounds quite likely.

Jon Szanto
January 26th, 2022, 11:23 AM
Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Chrissy
January 26th, 2022, 12:32 PM
Why would anyone choose to use this retailer in the first place, after reports like this?

Because it appears they are now the first port of call Montblanc service center for all Montblanc service in the US

Jon Szanto
January 26th, 2022, 12:37 PM
That's a dreadful situation. First time I've heard of them. Ick.

empliau
January 26th, 2022, 01:24 PM

I bought my Montblanc from Fritz Schimpf. I hope if I ever need something I can send it back to FS and they'd handle it. I would not want to deal with MJR.

Chrissy
January 26th, 2022, 02:11 PM
That's a dreadful situation. First time I've heard of them. Ick.

It certainly sounds like that. :(

bunnspecial
January 26th, 2022, 04:00 PM

Yes, in the US there is no longer an official Montblanc service center.

If one requests a repair, warranty or not, through Montblanc you are directed to this company.

From there, to initiate the repair, you will tell them what it is and be prompted to generate a UPS shipping label to ship to them($20-50 depending on where you're located and desired service speed).

Once they've received your item, their "Master" technicians evaluate it and tell you what's wrong and how much they'll charge. If it's a warranty service, you then may have to initiate the process discussed in this thread of arguing with them to convince them it IS actually a warranty service. Once you've accomplished that, you then have to approve the work. Even if the charge for the work is $0, you have to approve and then pay in advance for return shipping($30-60 when I did it the other day) while they finally do the work.

I don't live anywhere close to a boutique, so I can't let them handle actually interacting with MJR as I've heard of others doing.

I have to say too that it bothers me a bit that a warranty repair will still likely cost the ~$60 once return shipping is factored in. It's a far cry from back 10 years ago when I'd send a broken section 2000 to Lamy repair with a check for $7.50 and it would come back in the mail a few weeks later.

Jon Szanto
January 26th, 2022, 05:55 PM

Thank you, and I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. In spite of having many pens, I've resisted MB, so I haven't gone through any of their services, etc. I certainly would expect far, far better treatment. There are sub-$100 pen brands that will send you a new part in a couple of days for just the cost of postage, no questions asked, and you would think this luxury brand would treat its customers better that anyone else.

But you know all that. Best of luck to you.

bunnspecial
January 26th, 2022, 06:14 PM

Thank you, and I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. In spite of having many pens, I've resisted MB, so I haven't gone through any of their services, etc. I certainly would expect far, far better treatment. There are sub-$100 pen brands that will send you a new part in a couple of days for just the cost of postage, no questions asked, and you would think this luxury brand would treat its customers better that anyone else.

But you know all that. Best of luck to you.

Although I never used them, I've been told the Texas service center that was closed last August or somewhere around then was excellent and everything you'd expect from Montblanc. In conjunction with a boutique, if you have one, all service really every involved was taking it to the boutique and then waiting for it to come back.

The same is often said of the Hamburg service center.

My last dealing with Chartpak on a Pelikan was absolutely perfect. Goulet had the tortoise brown M800 on sale at a very good price, but they didn't have my preferred B nib in stock. I bought it, inked it once to see if I thought I really did want a B or would be happy with an M, then emailed Chartpak and they sent me the paperwork. I filled it out, stuck the pen in a small fat rate box(I think $7.45 or so at the time) and sent it off. I had a return tracking number less than 24 hours after USPS showed it delivered to them.

Unfortunately, MBUSA choosing to close the Texas location and contract out repair service seems to have been a very poor decision. If the CEO is aware of the issues, as Chrissy states, perhaps this will be a short lived experiment, although who knows how easy it would be for them to bring back the Texas facility or something similar to it. Even if the MB USA/MB NA operates at "arm's length" so to speak from Germany, I can't imagine the CEO would be terribly happy about a fairly large market for MB products not having the support network that should set a luxury brand apart.

Again, I'm just crossing my fingers that if I get a 146C out of the second batch(or who knows how far down I am on the order list and how many batches I'll be back) I won't have any of the issues that a few on FPN(fortunately a minority) seem to be reporting so I won't have to deal with their service.

FredRydr
January 26th, 2022, 07:59 PM
Who remembers the Bethlehem Pennsylvania Montblanc service center, before Richemont moved MB services to its (then) Montegrappa service center in Texas? That didn't last long when Richemont sold Montegrappa back to the prior owner in 2009.

Farmboy
January 26th, 2022, 08:49 PM
MB outsourced the warranty repair. They get paid by MB for authorized repairs and by the customer for out of warranty repairs is what I was told.

In reality it is probably way more complicated than that…

bunnspecial
January 27th, 2022, 02:39 PM
Maybe squeaky wheel gets the grease and all of that, but I just received a call from someone who I believe is higher up in the MJR hierarchy than the person with whom I was communicating apologizing, assuring me it would be taken care of, and with a direct contact email for this person if needed.

I'm wondering if MB Corporate is tightening the screws a bit on them...

Chrissy
January 27th, 2022, 11:10 PM
Maybe squeaky wheel gets the grease and all of that, but I just received a call from someone who I believe is higher up in the MJR hierarchy than the person with whom I was communicating apologizing, assuring me it would be taken care of, and with a direct contact email for this person if needed.

The analogy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease is a good one that I never heard before. :) I also like this one: It's fine to start with the monkeys but don't be afraid to go to the organ grinder if your problem needs resolving. ;)

Farmboy
January 27th, 2022, 11:13 PM
Money makes the monkey dance!

bunnspecial
January 28th, 2022, 09:37 AM

The analogy of the squeaky wheel gets the grease is a good one that I never heard before. :) I also like this one: It's fine to start with the monkeys but don't be afraid to go to the organ grinder if your problem needs resolving. ;)

I always find it interesting about the whole-to use another saying-"Two countries separated by a common language" thing.

The squeaky wheel saying is one I grew up hearing, and I think you might agree that it might be appropriate in this case!

bunnspecial
January 28th, 2022, 08:59 PM
Well, this stupid saga continues...

I have again received an estimate for $392 to "repair" the 80 days pen to working condition. This is billed as a level 3 "Limited edition" service rate.

I emailed them-probably somewhat less than politely-and received a phone call(went to voicemail since it came up unidentified number and I didn't have time to call them back) where they're claiming it's not a limited edition so isn't covered under 1 year.

I will be calling them back on Monday and ask why it's classed as a limited edition for service purposes and not an LE for nib exchange...it's totally illogical and they are in fact contradicting themselves.

Chrissy
January 29th, 2022, 10:24 AM

I have again received an estimate for $392 to "repair" the 80 days pen to working condition. This is billed as a level 3 "Limited edition" service rate.

I emailed them-probably somewhat less than politely-and received a phone call(went to voicemail since it came up unidentified number and I didn't have time to call them back) where they're claiming it's not a limited edition so isn't covered under 1 year.

I will be calling them back on Monday and ask why it's classed as a limited edition for service purposes and not an LE for nib exchange...it's totally illogical and they are in fact contradicting themselves.
Crazy. :angry: For me it would be time to contact the organ grinder....

BlkWhiteFilmPix
January 29th, 2022, 11:12 AM
Might it be time to send an email to Mr. Sylvain Costof, President of MB North America?

While MB does respond to handwritten letters sent to its HQ at 645 Fifth Ave NYC 10022, an April 2020 letter to the CEO praising a MB associate was forwarded to the home of his executive assistant due to the pandemic. Don't know if they are in the offices now or still working from home.

bunnspecial
January 29th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Crazy. :angry: For me it would be time to contact the organ grinder....

That's the plan on Monday. I will start with the concierge service and go from there. I will see what the response is, but contacting the CA Attorney General's office is definitely on the table. At least in other states where I've dealt with the office, the consumer affairs department is usually quick to go after a business and tend to side on the consumer when there is any ambiguity in terms. Often, the AG's office initiating contact with a company will lead to an immediate resolution.

To summarize up to this point:

1. Initially I was presented with an estimate of $392 for a "Level 3 Limited Edition service" to bring my GC WD pen to "writing condition" and the nib exchange denied on the basis that nib exchanges are only honored for 3 months(per their statement, MB says 6 weeks)

2. I contact them, highlighting the relevant information from MB's own web page, about LEs having a 1 year warranty on nib exchanges. I also forward receipts, despite my having included them in the box as per instructions.

3. After a week, I received an approved a $0 estimate for both pens for the nib swap. I pay $31 for return shipping up front before, presumably, they will even order parts.

4. In there, I had emailed Montblanc NA and, apparently at their prompting, someone from MJR contacted me directly and assured me that everything was taken care of and that they were awaiting parts from Germany. I again, at her request, forward receipts for the two pens.

5. A few days later(yesterday) I receive an email telling me that there is an estimate awaiting my approval. I visit their website and find a $392 estimate to return the 80 days 146 "to writing condition", again billed as a Level 3 "Limited Edition" service. When I decline this estimate, I am-again-prompted to pay another $29 for return shipping...

6. I fire of an email both to the person with whom I'd been communicating with a CC to the person who called me saying that I was not happy considering that I had already approved the repair, and that I expected it to be taken care of before I escalated to corporate and also the AG of CA.

7. I receive a call(voicemail) from another person at MJR saying that they had actually extended the warranty on my Disney "as a courtesy" since it was a few weeks past(never mind that they'd farted around about covering it and if they'd just done it the "courtesy" wouldn't have been necessary) but that the 80 Days doesn't qualify for the 1 year nib exchange as it's not a Limited Edition(despite being billed as one for service purposes).

bunnspecial
January 31st, 2022, 02:01 PM
Alright, I found myself on the phone today a couple of times with Juan Guevara, the president of MJR.

After talking to me and actually looking at the pen, he agreed with me that the 80 days was far from just a regular 146, so he promised me to reach out again to MB and figure out what was going on. True to his word, he followed up later that afternoon, and in fact I gave him my earliest available time for this afternoon and he called almost to the minute.

It seems as though they don't class the 80 Days pen(and I'm guessing some of the other series pens like Le Petit Prince pens) as "Special Editions" or really anything other than...I guess a regular 146 or 145 or whatever model they happen to be. He agreed with me that it seemed strange, but none the less that's the story.

They are at least not double charging me on shipping, and actually told me that the Disney should be finished by the end of the week(that he would be sure it was handled as soon as they had the nib in-hand) but that's where I am.

So, I guess that's what I get for assuming a pen produced for a limited period of time that externally uses almost no standard 146 parts(body, cap, nib, turning knob, clip, cap finial all unique to the pen-I think only the internals are standard 146) is not in anyway anything other than just a standard production pen. I can't fault MJR for that one...

Although this did get off to a bumpy start, I do appreciate being contacted from the top to sort things out and at least explain what was going on even if I didn't like the answer(which seems out of their control).

Chrissy
January 31st, 2022, 02:41 PM
Not sure what to say about this because you're in North America but in my past pen dealings, from more than one person at Montblanc HQ, I have been advised that they will look very kindly on freely exchanging a nib that had not been used and could be resold. After all it's merely a case of taking one out and putting in another one that is worth exactly the same amount of money. No monetary loss other than the time/effort taken to swap them over.

If this nib is not a standard nib, nor the pen a standard pen, and it's original RRP is more than a standard 146, then how can it be a standard pen? So what do they say it is? Totally unlimited and a continuing mass production, permanent member of their line-up?

I don't know who the president of MJR has reached out to nor what has been said or arranged. I also don't know if the person who was contacted was the president of Montblanc NA.

If it was me I would not agree to paying the cost of a new nib until I had made contact with that person and asked them the question myself. YMMV

Pterodactylus
January 31st, 2022, 03:20 PM
Not sure what to say about this because you're in North America but in my past pen dealings, from more than one person at Montblanc HQ, I have been advised that they will look very kindly on freely exchanging a nib that had not been used and could be resold. After all it's merely a case of taking one out and putting in another one that is worth exactly the same amount of money. No monetary loss other than the time/effort taken to swap them over.

If this nib is not a standard nib, nor the pen a standard pen, and it's original RRP is more than a standard 146, then how can it be a standard pen? So what do they say it is? Totally unlimited and a continuing mass production, permanent member of their line-up?

I don't know who the president of MJR has reached out to nor what has been said or arranged. I also don't know if the person who was contacted was the president of Montblanc NA.

If it was me I would not agree to paying the cost of a new nib until I had made contact with that person and asked them the question myself. YMMV

Your argumentation is faulty, I doubt that MB would be able to sell a used nib as new, returned goods are not new, they were already in use, no matter if they were used only up to 80 days or even worse up to a year.

You never know what the user did to it, tortured it, “smoothed” it regrind it, or just used it.
Used is not new, used is used and can never be sold as new again, valid basically for all kind of items, but especially for a luxury brand like MB.

Other companies sell such things as 2nd choice, returned items, pre used, but I doubt that MB has this option.

Other example: If your car garage install a new part (e.g. a starter) for error diagnosis, even for only a couple of minutes and it turns out that it is not the root cause, no supplier would accept a return of a part which was already installed, not even for 5 minutes, for warranty reasons and because used is used.
Such a part can only be sold as used by the garage but not returned.

Most likely MB scrap such items, you know the value of scrap gold (best case reuse items for goodwill repairs, but I doubt it)

You would be the first person who would complain (personal, phone, on the net, forums,…) if you would get a second hand pre-used nib on your next new pen.

So claiming “no monetary loss” is a very naive viewpoint and simply not true.

bunnspecial
January 31st, 2022, 04:13 PM
At this point I'm just going to call it a day on it.

I'm sure at some point there will be another...well whatever the heck you call this type of pen...that catches my interest and I'll get a #6 OM nib on it(a size that seems uncommon in my hunting for one, although they can be found on Ebay). I love Around the World in 80 Days, love, in typical Montblanc fashion, all the little details that went into this one, and just the fact that the blue body and other details make it stand out from a regular 146.

There's also the fact that it's not even standard packaging. The box is printed with lovely artwork and not just plain white like my other newer MBs(although it does have a plain white outer sleeve) and the book is larger, has artwork on the cover, and has some background about the story in it. The presentation box is smaller than "true" SEs/LEs, but it's also bigger than the normal box you see on new 146s. As I said, I fail to see any element of this pen that is a standard edition 146, but it's not coded that way so it's not treated that way.

This one had been inked and written with, although only one fill and with the special Around the World in 80 Days ink that was released with the pen(since, what else? even though I'm still convinced it's the same ink as Petrol Blue). I don't know how much demand there would be in exchanges for an M nib given that I expect a significant portion of these pens shipped with one. Still, though, fines are pretty readily available and I'm sure some who bought Fs might decide they want Ms. Still, though, the pen was not unused.

Or, for all I know, the 146C may be the last new MB I buy, although I still want an an O3B 149 and they seem rather elusive on the secondary market and I may have to buy new.

I did look at the box and indeed it doesn't say Special Edition or Limited Edition or anything else on it, so I don't know what to make of this one. My other SE pens(I guess I don't have any true LE/numbered pens) are marked as such on the box and in the paperwork.

Chrissy
February 1st, 2022, 02:19 AM
I don't know if your nib is M or F and you want OM. M to OM is very straightforward and either Kirk or Gena could have easily done that grind so I suspect it's not that simple. If you have a F then you would definitely need to swap it out for an OM.

In Europe I've read that for a level 3 service some people get their original nibs back. I would ask that question. I once got my original EF back when I had a free exchange on one of my 147 pens. Maybe it depends on the original nib? - When they examine it under their high magnification and it still looks 100% new and perfect they might be more inclined to keep it. LOL

geodesigner
February 19th, 2022, 02:03 PM
Any updates on the MRR saga?

bunnspecial
February 28th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Still have the pens at their facility with a status of "parts ordered."

Considering that it's not an off the shelf 146(or other) nib I'm not too worried at this point as I'd guess the oblique LE/SE nibs are made to order and not stock items in Germany. I've heard estimates of around 6-8 weeks for MB to get them done, so I'm hoping that they're back by the end of March.

We'll see which arrives first-my Edison(estimated I think March 26th), my 146C(from Iguanasell, ordered January 12th) or these two pens.

bunnspecial
March 28th, 2022, 06:02 PM
Just received a shipping notification/tracking number, so we'll see what things look like in a few days!

junglejim
March 30th, 2022, 12:27 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that they did the nib exchange correctly!

pajaro
March 30th, 2022, 02:09 PM
I get the impression from reading this thread that Montblanc, by providing this kind of service, is trying to drive the users nuts, by providing a service system unworthy of a high end product. I think the same of Pelikan. The vendors should be the ones jumping through hoops.

bunnspecial
March 30th, 2022, 02:30 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that they did the nib exchange correctly!

My wife texted me a little while ago that it had been delivered(actually left on the porch and not signed for, but that's a UPS problem...) so we'll see when I get home from work!

One would think that a nib exchange couldn't be messed up...

Chrissy
March 30th, 2022, 02:30 PM
I get the impression from reading this thread that Montblanc, by providing this kind of service, is trying to drive the users nuts, by providing a service system unworthy of a high end product. I think the same of Pelikan. The vendors should be the ones jumping through hoops.
Sadly, I get that impression too. :(

bunnspecial
March 30th, 2022, 06:31 PM
No chance to ink it(probably won't yet, but may dip it in a bit) and it certainly LOOKS like an OBB.

Also, I sent the pen with its factory F sticker still on the turning knob. They removed that and put an OBB sticker on it.

Incidentally, earlier in the thread I was speculating about whether this, my Edison, or my 146C would arrive first.

This is the "probably" week Brian gave me on the Edison, although I'm not stressing out too much on that one since it hasn't been super long.

No word on my 146C...someone on FPN who ordered from the same vendor as I did got theirs a few weeks back, so I'm just hoping I'll get them as they trickle in.

bunnspecial
March 30th, 2022, 07:55 PM
Here it is-still need to ink and write with it.

The nib doesn't look as stubby as I'd like, but it is certainly an OBB. That part isn't MJR's fault, though-it's how MB made the nib.

Overall, though, looks like all said and done I have nothing to complain about with the nib swap

junglejim
March 31st, 2022, 10:55 AM
Lovely!

Chrissy
March 31st, 2022, 02:21 PM
I like the look of the nib but the pen wouldn't be my choice. Thankfully we're all different. :)

bunnspecial
March 31st, 2022, 02:39 PM
I like the look of the nib but the pen wouldn't be my choice. Thankfully we're all different. :)

Well, my wife liked it, and given that she usually just rolls her eyes at FPs, I figured that was a sign to buy :)

She still won't USE it(which is why I felt okay putting an OBB on it) but she at least likes it.

Regardless, it's still a lot of fun to sit and look at the detail in it.

pajaro
March 31st, 2022, 11:16 PM
The nib is beautiful, and I see why you enjoy it.

jdwhitak
November 14th, 2022, 12:49 PM
I hope the OP gets this sorted out. This is what happens when companies outsource things they really shouldn't. I ordered a 149 from Montblanc's website and a third party is running the website and fulfilling orders. Now, my 149 seems to be slowly leaking ink where the nib assembly meets the body. Hopefully I don't run into any problems with MJR.

TSherbs
November 14th, 2022, 03:26 PM
I hope the OP gets this sorted out. This is what happens when companies outsource things they really shouldn't. I ordered a 149 from Montblanc's website and a third party is running the website and fulfilling orders. Now, my 149 seems to be slowly leaking ink where the nib assembly meets the body. Hopefully I don't run into any problems with MJR.

Good luck. I'll likely never own a MB pen, but I've read these repair saga threads with some fright! I like how Chrissy wrote the CEO of Monblanc. BAM! :whip:

Chrissy
November 14th, 2022, 09:32 PM
Oh dear. It sounds like it's not just repairs that Montblanc has outsourced. if this is a brand new pen that was faulty when supplied then maybe the vendor should be on the hook to replace it.

Chrissy
November 14th, 2022, 09:34 PM
Good luck. I'll likely never own a MB pen, but I've read these repair saga threads with some fright! I like how Chrissy wrote the CEO of Monblanc. BAM! :whip:
He was not the first and probably won't be the last. LOL

jdwhitak
November 17th, 2022, 09:28 AM
So, I just exchanged a Montblanc rollerball I had purchased over the summer for a 146. Great service from Reis-Nichols in Indianapolis for letting me exchange a pen I had for several months. They also offered to send in my 149 for repair even though I didn't buy it there.