PDA

View Full Version : (article) Drawing, a Cure for the January Blahs

catbert
January 21st, 2022, 10:02 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/arts/design/drawing-center-art-galleries-shear.html

"Drawing is really the best of all art mediums. Its history is long and encompassing, truly global, virtually unbounded. It facilitates many other art forms, among them painting, sculpture and architecture. But the mark-making basic to drawing is the starting point of so much else: the development of written language, numbers, musical scores. And, contrasting with this macrocosmic scale, there is the microcosmic: the stripped-down vulnerability of individual drawings, which are often not much larger than the faces that lean in to absorb them. This is about as naked as art gets."

penwash
January 21st, 2022, 03:08 PM
"Just as drawings bring us close to an artist’s thoughts, feelings and touch with an intimacy that sometimes seems metabolic, they provoke spontaneous responses that can show us new sides of ourselves."

Right on!

"And if you are merely interested, drawings are the great teachers; they educate the eye and make us more conscious of seeing. They present visual power, relatively unbuffered by materials or size."

Spot on, this!

Kaputnik
January 21st, 2022, 04:35 PM
Sounds like something I would agree with. I know that I don't feel my day is complete until I've drawn something. Frequently I'm unhappy with how it turns out, but I'd be unhappier if I hadn't tried. I'll break off the public self psychoanalysis there. :thumb:

Regrettably, I'm unable to read the article, which is behind a pay wall. I tried the "sign in with Google" approach, and it seemed to be taking me there after a couple of "would you like to sign up for our Emails" (no) screens. But I ended up with a window asking me to sign up for just $1 a week (you can cancel any time!) and I couldn't get any further than that without giving them money. Sorry, New York Times. Not complaining about your policies, but no thanks.

But I'm sure it's a good article.:)

catbert
January 21st, 2022, 05:54 PM
"Just as drawings bring us close to an artist’s thoughts, feelings and touch with an intimacy that sometimes seems metabolic, they provoke spontaneous responses that can show us new sides of ourselves."

Right on!

"And if you are merely interested, drawings are the great teachers; they educate the eye and make us more conscious of seeing. They present visual power, relatively unbuffered by materials or size."

Spot on, this!

Indeed.

The article brought to mind the several active drawing threads on this board.

catbert
January 21st, 2022, 06:01 PM
Sounds like something I would agree with. I know that I don't feel my day is complete until I've drawn something. Frequently I'm unhappy with how it turns out, but I'd be unhappier if I hadn't tried. I'll break off the public self psychoanalysis there. :thumb:

Regrettably, I'm unable to read the article, which is behind a pay wall. I tried the "sign in with Google" approach, and it seemed to be taking me there after a couple of "would you like to sign up for our Emails" (no) screens. But I ended up with a window asking me to sign up for just $1 a week (you can cancel any time!) and I couldn't get any further than that without giving them money. Sorry, New York Times. Not complaining about your policies, but no thanks.

I'm not a subscriber either but was able to read the article because I've signed up for one of their free email newsletters.

Perhaps the newsletter link to the article will work for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/20/arts/design/drawing-center-art-galleries-shear.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Art%20and%20Design

penwash
January 21st, 2022, 06:17 PM

If I were to be blunt, those paragraphs that I and catbert quoted, were the only content that I took away from the article.

:)

Lloyd
January 21st, 2022, 08:00 PM
I know there's no images, but, if this works, this file is all of the text.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/61eb732d9fb6d/default.PDF

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Kaputnik
January 22nd, 2022, 01:29 PM

If I were to be blunt, those paragraphs that I and catbert quoted, were the only content that I took away from the article.

:)

I know there's no images, but, if this works, this file is all of the text.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/61eb732d9fb6d/default.PDF

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Thank you both. :cool: