PDA

View Full Version : Review: Ranga Ebonite Dip Pen

DrChumley
August 10th, 2013, 05:44 PM
I purchased this pen a couple of months ago from eBay for $17.

Weight: 14g
Length: 180mm

And, of course, the video review (with a few other random ramblings thrown in.)

http://youtu.be/m9Y-KTBlpZE

KrazyIvan
August 10th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Interesting pen. I did not realize Ranga pens was making these. I find a lot of my Indian pens are scratchy but a quick go at the nib with those tri-grit nail file foam boards makes them very smooth.

DrChumley
August 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Interesting pen. I did not realize Ranga pens was making these. I find a lot of my Indian pens are scratchy but a quick go at the nib with those tri-grit nail file foam boards makes them very smooth.

I need to get a couple of those and/or some Micromesh. I have the mylar sheets from Richard Binder, but frankly, I've never managed to notice a lick of difference using those. Perhaps something a bit more aggressive will work better for me. Plus, the original nib on this pen is one I don't care too much about destroying, so it would be a good practice nib.

cwent2
August 10th, 2013, 09:31 PM

I need to get a couple of those and/or some Micromesh. I have the mylar sheets from Richard Binder, but frankly, I've never managed to notice a lick of difference using those. Perhaps something a bit more aggressive will work better for me. Plus, the original nib on this pen is one I don't care too much about destroying, so it would be a good practice nib.

Were the tines in proper alignment? Once the tines are in proper alignment it should not take much on micromesh or a fine whetstone to notice a difference - little steps - test etc.

KrazyIvan
August 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM
The mylar sheets are for the final polish in the whole process.

earthdawn
August 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Well that was AWESOME !

I just went and ordered one.

Thank you so much for doing the great review and sharing it with us.