PDA

View Full Version : Parker 51 Vacumatic Nib, does this look right.

Paul-H
August 11th, 2013, 04:39 AM
Hi Guys

Just got a Parker 51 Vacumatic in the Post and was stripping it down for a good clean and service.

When I got to the nib something didn't look right, I hope you can see what I am on about in the photo below.

The tine slit does not go all the way to the vent hole but dies go to a circle marked on the nib. The are also no markings on the nib and I thought Parker marked the Vacumatic nibs.

Does the Nib look ok or has someone done a switch for something else, maybe not even Parker.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Flounder
August 11th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Hmm... I've got one like this (circle + breather hole), but Parker marked.
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy19/flounder2009/Vac/Nib-Collectoralignment002_1000x750.jpg

It might be a Hero nib, but they won't fit without some reshaping. I'm reluctant to pull my only gold one to check, but I think even the Hero mark their gold nibs. They certainly do the steel ones.

Flounder
August 11th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Wait a tick - it looks like your nib does have a marking, if you squint right, in the usual place. Have you pulled it from the collector yet?

Ernst Bitterman
August 12th, 2013, 10:06 AM
I've seen that in several "51" points; never fear. I agree with Flounder that it looks like it's got the usual markings within the collector.

Flounder
August 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Ernst, what do you make of the overall shape of the one in my photo? It's the only one like that I've seen. I'm talking about the squarish shoulders and centre bevelling wierdness.

Paul-H
August 12th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Hi Guys

Just took the nib out, it says Parker made in USA 1945 so obviously all ok after all. Strange how the tines don't go all the way to the vent hole though as it does with every Parker open nib I have including some of their other hooded designs like the 17.

Still all's well that ends well, as they used to say.

Paul

cedargirl
August 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Presumably, because of the contact between the hood and the nib, the tine split isn't necessary to get capillary ink flow happening, as it is in an open nib??

Flounder
August 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Remember, the tines are still split, they just don't meet at the breather hole. There are a fair few open nibs without a hole. I think my godawful rubbishy Preppy had a nib without an actual hole.