PDA

View Full Version : Nakaya Titanium Piccolo, Broad Stub Nib

quinden
August 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM
As promised, here's my review of the Nakaya titanium Piccolo Writer with a broad stub nib. :)

My handwritten review is at the bottom, but I wanted to add some thoughts with each photo, so the text of the handwritten review is not going to completely match the review as posted - sorry about that!

Here it is, in all its glory

Note the pointed ends. On an urushi or maki-e Piccolo, this is a soft, conical shape. On the titanium Piccolo, it's weapons-grade :)

The machining/lathing marks you see here are continued on the grip; they provide a very pleasant texture! This grip is not slippery at all, which had been one of my concerns with this pen as I have somewhat oily skin.

The delightful stub! As I noted in my earlier post, there is some exposed gold where the ruthenium plating was ground off in the process of stubbing this nib. In use, I never notice this.

A group shot. From left to right: Sheaffer Legacy I in sterling silver with gold trim, Pilot Art Silvern in sterling silver (from 1976 with earlier clip), Nakaya titanium Piccolo Writer, Parker 61 Flighter in steel. I wanted to show the difference in metals, mainly: the titanium has more of a greyish hue, and because of the lathing marks the finish is somewhat matte; I wish I had a Lamy 2000 in brushed steel to compare. Sizewise, you can see that it is short but stout; I believe the section diameter is roughly the same as an Aurora 88 large or a Montblanc 146.

Same group, uncapped.

The written review! (edited to add: All weights and measurements from the website of Classic Fountain Pens (nibs.com)

Some additional thoughts: would I recommend this pen? First, I would have to ask you some questions:

1) Do you like heavy pens?
2) Do you like metal pens?
3) Do you like Nakaya nibs?

If you answered yes, then yes, this is the pen for you :)

Expanding on my written review, this will never be my all-day writer, but for jotting notes in meetings or signing on documents, it's perfect. John Mottishaw knows how to stub a nib - it glides over the paper with the barest hint of feedback - just enough to give me a good amount of control.

I hope everyone enjoyed the review! If you have any questions, fire away :)

reprieve
August 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Great review! I have been curious about this Piccolo and your review answered all of my questions. Although I prefer the urushi and maki-e Nakayas, this one is strangely alluring. I love that the machining marks lend it a slightly matte finish.

Which ink are you using in your writing sample?

quinden
August 11th, 2013, 10:55 AM
reprieve, thanks! I am using tsuki-yo, one of my favorite inks :)

Laura N
August 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM
This is a beautiful pen, and your reviews are always wonderful. I do not like heavy pens, so I am safe from the allure of this one. :)

dannzeman
August 11th, 2013, 01:26 PM
Great review! I have been curious about this Piccolo and your review answered all of my questions. Although I prefer the urushi and maki-e Nakayas, this one is strangely alluring. I love that the machining marks lend it a slightly matte finish.

Have you seen my Hands-on with the Nakaya Piccolo Writer in Heki-tamenuri (http://fpgeeks.com/2013/06/hands-on-with-the-nakaya-piccolo-writer-heki-tamenuri-fountain-pen/)?

reprieve
August 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM

Have you seen my Hands-on with the Nakaya Piccolo Writer in Heki-tamenuri (http://fpgeeks.com/2013/06/hands-on-with-the-nakaya-piccolo-writer-heki-tamenuri-fountain-pen/)?

Yes, that is a wonderful review also! Heki-tame is one of my favorite finishes and your photos really show off its depth. I am waiting on this Piccolo (http://www.nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=22004&type=body) right now (and will still be waiting for another 6-8 months! sigh!) which just edged out the titanium model; after reading this review, I'm very happy with my decision as I think the titanium Piccolo would be a bit too heavy for me.

quinden
August 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM
reprieve, I love the string-rolled models - great choice!!

jde
August 11th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Josh: Really appreciate the photo with your other metal pens! The Namiki Silvern! Handsome, too.

Wow, that Titanium Piccolo is one cool-looking, heavy pen. Glad you are enjoying it!

quinden
August 11th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks, Julie! :)

The Silvern was sitting with some of its present-day relatives and I was really captivated by its floral pattern - I don't think any of the modern pens are purely floral, and this goes well with the Housuge shu and the General Grant. I'm really entranced by floral patterns, it seems!

earthdawn
August 11th, 2013, 03:57 PM
GREAT review of a pen we rarely see.

Looks beautiful... excellent picture !

Wonderful writing sample... and excellent handwriting as well.

Thank you VERY much for putting the review together to share with us.

Big congrats on a stunning pen !

quinden
August 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks earthdawn! Hopefully I'll be able to put together some reviews on my other pens as well, including those in the comparison shots :)

Mori45
October 6th, 2013, 09:29 PM
That's a beautiful pen Quinden. Beauty in simplicity.