PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Ideal #5 - look at this nib imprint

Blutarsky
February 12th, 2022, 10:09 AM
An interesting pen I was hoping to get comments on regarding the nib imprint. The ideal #5 jet pen disk is pink. I recall seeing "PINK" or no imprint of the nib. Anyone seen this?

FredRydr
February 12th, 2022, 12:05 PM
That's new to me. You may have something rather special (i.e., valuable to a Waterman collector) if it was factory or official Waterman dealer service.

Robalone
February 12th, 2022, 03:49 PM
Indeed !! I have the 'jet #7 with pink disc and nib, and the nib has 'pink' on it.
I haven't seen one with that writing on it either !

I imagine it is the same as a pink nib , which is 'fine flexible',
Hang on to that one. 👍🏻

Scrawler
February 13th, 2022, 03:51 AM
I have a collection of keyhole nibs in various sizes from England and Canada. None of them have the stiffness written on the nib like this. Is it possible this marking is specific to US made nibs?

Blutarsky
February 13th, 2022, 11:17 AM
I agree this is really unusual. Of several keyholes, I only have one other with a stiffness, in this case "Accountant" written on it. All the others only have colors (brown, red, green purple) or no imprint. I actually have a number two nib with accountant written on it as well.

ETA: I believe both are US made nibs so you could be right.

Scrawler
February 13th, 2022, 11:44 AM
I agree this is really unusual. Of several keyholes, I only have one other with a stiffness, in this case "Accountant" written on it. All the others only have colors (brown, red, green purple) or no imprint. I actually have a number two nib with accountant written on it as well.

ETA: I believe both are US made nibs so you could be right.

I have seen one with Accountant on. A very stiff fine nib. I don't have any US made keyhole nibs for comparison. These are English #5 Flex stub, Canadian #5 Medium and a Canadian #7 Pink and are reasonably representative of what I have seen before.

Procyon
February 14th, 2022, 04:40 PM
This is from the period when Waterman color-coded their pens to indicate type of nib used. Earlier the 5 and 7 red ripples came with a colored band on the top of the cap. Those were hard rubber. Later, like your pen they made 5 and 7 sized pens in black plastic with colored disks on the barrel end for the color-coding. The pink is one of the most desirable and rarer of the colors. Black is super rare. Here are a couple of my pens, a 5 and a 94, which are absolutely identical, other than the number. This 94 is super rare, as hardly any were made with the colored disk.

Well, I was going to post a picture, but apparently on this website you have to use a URL, which is entirely too much trouble.

Scrawler
February 14th, 2022, 05:00 PM
This is from the period when Waterman color-coded their pens to indicate type of nib used. Earlier the 5 and 7 red ripples came with a colored band on the top of the cap. Those were hard rubber. Later, like your pen they made 5 and 7 sized pens in black plastic with colored disks on the barrel end for the color-coding. The pink is one of the most desirable and rarer of the colors. Black is super rare. Here are a couple of my pens, a 5 and a 94, which are absolutely identical, other than the number. This 94 is super rare, as hardly any were made with the colored disk.

Well, I was going to post a picture, but apparently on this website you have to use a URL, which is entirely too much trouble.

Thanks. My #7 Pink is one of the later black plastic ones with the coloured disk. You don't need a URL. Pictures can be loaded directly to the site. You need to select the Go Advanced and select the attachment icon. It brings up a panel which allows you to select, upload and include images.

Procyon
February 16th, 2022, 05:02 PM
OK, I will give it a try ...67719

Blutarsky
February 16th, 2022, 05:50 PM
Nice, I've never seen 94 imprint on a color disk before.

What's the nib look like, have a color imprint or simply plain?

Scrawler
February 16th, 2022, 08:44 PM
Very nice. Mine is much the same except it says 7. Mine came with an Eclipse cap. It works, but it would be nice one day to restore the proper cap.

FredRydr
February 16th, 2022, 08:53 PM
Just a teaser... None had a nib with text like Blutarski's.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35671&d=1509655046

Blutarsky
February 16th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Holy Cow!

Procyon
February 16th, 2022, 10:28 PM
Nice, I've never seen 94 imprint on a color disk before.

What's the nib look like, have a color imprint or simply plain?

Both pens have "PINK" imprinted on them.

Robalone
February 19th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Good grief Fred....awesome !! That's my kind of obsessive. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Seattleite
February 20th, 2022, 08:32 AM
I took a look at a dozen, or so keyholes and did find one with descriptive text instead of color. Nib has "FINE RIGID" in the same format as Bluto's pen. I think that this would be Purple, if color coded. I Would have preferred that Fine Flex, but what can you do. My nib is in a 94 which I found in the wild twenty or so years ago. I have found several keyholes in 94s and Ink Views. Interesting that one can find desciptive text, color, name (as in Accountant), or nothing at all on these nibs.

Bob

Adicus
February 23rd, 2022, 02:56 PM
just . . . wow!

:shocked:

Thank you all for sharing some truly great Waterman's

wow . . .

Thank you

Blutarsky
February 23rd, 2022, 07:39 PM
Well gosh after Fred's coup d'grace I hesitate to show the lesser siblings to the pink #5. But here goes.

Since these are faded, it's up to some interpretation. I haven't attempted any restoration or rejuvenation but I was thinking they are L-R Brown, Red and Pink.

Cyril
April 13th, 2022, 04:37 AM
Authentic Pinky treasures !!:jaw:
My grail pen and Until I find one I keep on buying other waterman !!! That's the promise I made to myselF..:)

Cyril
April 13th, 2022, 04:40 AM
Just a teaser... None had a nib with text like Blutarski's.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35671&d=1509655046
Theis is an amazing collections Fred!!! How often you ink them or use them??? Or you never do???
My grail pens !!!!! beautiful writers !!!

What other Vintage / antique Watermen's pens That could accommodate a Pink/purple Key hole Nibs?
I have a spare nib ( it is on a Vintage platignum body) and I could not find a waterman body/ section that fit into that nib. Any ideas???and thanks !!!!!

FredRydr
April 13th, 2022, 05:00 AM
Theis is an amazing collections Fred!!! How often you ink them or use them??? Or you never do???
My grail pens !!!!! beautiful writers !!!

What other Vintage / antique Watermen's pens That could accommodate a Pink/purple Key hole Nibs?
I have a spare nib ( it is on a Vintage platignum body) and I could not find a waterman body/ section that fit into that nib. Any ideas???and thanks !!!!!
That mini-collection was purchased by a collector in South America. See https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/22368-Waterman-s-No-7-full-set-of-seven-pens-with-color-coded-nibs for more information. I used the Blue nib most often, perhaps because I was trying to emulate its original owner. The sections and feeds of many Waterman pens accept the color nibs (which were made in two sizes for the No. 7 and No. 5 pens).