PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chicago

65Brix
February 16th, 2022, 08:52 AM
Hello!
I'm Blake and I've been collecting for a couple years now. Restoring for about half that time.
For me its about preserving history and being able to have these pens around for other generations to enjoy. Restoring is also a good outlet for me in dealing with some mental health issues that showed up during the start of the pandemic.
My preferences are pretty diverse, but I do have a soft spot for Parkers and Conways.

Its nice to find this forum. I don't generally meet many pen collectors in my day to day.
If anyone else is out there from Chicago, let me know. I live in Pilsen on the southside and would love to meet some new people in the city.

I do need to thin out my collection though, so I'll be listing some pens for sale soon.
And if anyone is interested in selling some unrestored pens or have a good source you would be willing to share, please let me know.
I need to keep busy :)

Nice to meet you all!
-Blake

BlkWhiteFilmPix
February 16th, 2022, 10:17 AM
Welcome Blake, and sending healing energy your way.

Before entering active duty as a Navy officer, I lived in Beverly.

Chicago was home to a great restorer, Sam Himoto, God rest him, who ran Universal Pen Hospital before retiring in 2003.

Anderson Pens opened a store in the Loop before the pandemic, don't know if it's still open.

Wishing you success as you search for pens to restore.

Bob

Chrissy
February 16th, 2022, 10:20 AM
Hello and welcome. :)

Yazeh
February 16th, 2022, 11:44 AM
:welcome: Blake !

mizgeorge
February 16th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Hello Blake, and welcome :)

OCArt
February 16th, 2022, 01:47 PM
Welcome to this group. I've learned a lot here and you may too!

Wahl
February 17th, 2022, 09:16 AM
:welcome:

Chip
February 17th, 2022, 12:30 PM
Welcome to the scrum.

Been to Chicago once, during a record heatwave. Spent much of the time in the Institute of Arts Gallery, which was pleasantly cool.

I've seen Brix in winemaking, as a measure of sugar content and potential alcohol. 65 Brix would be very sweet indeed.

65Brix
February 18th, 2022, 08:41 AM
Its the minimum level to be considered a jam, jelly or preserve. I started out as a food scientist for a jam/jelly company.