PDA

View Full Version : Condensation (Lamy Vista)

BK_Starkey
January 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Has anyone else has this problem? After writing for a little while or having the pen in my pocket, I notice condensation in the feed.
I have had this problem before with this pen but thought I didn't let it dry out well enough. This time, however, it has been weeks since I cleaned it out and allowed it to dry. Is there something wrong or is this normal?

BK_Starkey
January 31st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Nothing huh? No one? Or am I a dummy and is this normal?

klpeabody
January 31st, 2012, 12:27 PM
First of all, I'm not sure if you are referring to condensation or nib creep.

I am not an expert, but the only time I have seen anything like condensation is after I've been out and about in the cold with the pen, and then attempt to use the pen indoors where it is warm. When I take the pen out to use it, I see condensation on the nib. Do you live in a cold environment? Are you storing your pen somewhere that is cold?

John the Monkey
January 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Hi Bk, I notice a little bit around the lower part of the grip in my Al-Star (which has a dark coloured, but still transparent grip section). I've not noticed any in the Vista, although I only use Lamy blue in that & haven't flushed it as yet.

Does it affect the flow? Make the pen leak?

klpeabody
January 31st, 2012, 04:43 PM
Ever since this reading this thread this afternoon, I've been thinking about this. I'm just curious as to what is causing it.

BK: when you clean the pen, do you let the pen dry with the nib facing down? I've noticed that drops of H20 can get trapped in there, and can actually stay there for quite a while. I'm wondering if this may be contributing to the problem. What you might try next time you clean it, is line a glass or cup with a paper towel, and gently put the pen nib-down (without the cap on) into the glass, then leave it there overnight or for a day or so.

Pinkys.Brain
January 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM
I have condensation in my Lamy Logos, but it is normally not very much ink that gets lost - I actually don't notice it.. But it also seems to depend on the ink. Pelikan highlighter ink is suppossed to dry very fast I guess. After one week I can see how the ink level has fallen.

As for the Lamy Viste: I think I have seen picture of condensation in Vistas on fountainpennetwork. According to discussion there condensation can and does happen in fountain pens - to variant degrees. Normally it not noticable.

BK_Starkey
February 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks, I appreciate it. It is actually in the feed. While it was several weeks between when I cleaned and when I filled and used, it is possible that there was still some water in there. I does seem to affect in flow somewhat (flows fine but saturation goes down.) I have had this problem before with the same pen but i thought I licked it that last time I cleaned. Will try the paper towel over night and see what happens.

John the Monkey
February 2nd, 2012, 01:17 PM
BK, one trick that works with electronics is to put the item you want to dry in a jar of rice - the rice soaks up the last of the damp from the item. Could be worth a try?

BK_Starkey
February 3rd, 2012, 09:13 AM
John. Could be,...the only thing I would worry about there would be the dried "carbs" from the rice itself. Wonder if it would leave a powdery residue all over the pen and feed.

John the Monkey
February 3rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
John. Could be,...the only thing I would worry about there would be the dried "carbs" from the rice itself. Wonder if it would leave a powdery residue all over the pen and feed.

Either suspend the section above the rice, or wrap it in something porous, I'd say (a small piece of cloth should do the trick). I've seen it done using a tea strainer (v. fine sieve) to hold the item above the rice.

Woody
February 10th, 2012, 04:21 AM
I have exactly that. But I'm in and out of the cold in a briefcase. If it's not affecting the performance of the pen - don't worry about it. If it's a performance issue let the pen dry on it's own. I've had Waterman converters that have held water for years. Rest assured this is not a major problem.