PDA

View Full Version : Scamwatch sub forum in Classified ?

Bogon07
August 12th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Would it be helpful to have a Scamwatch or some suitably titled sub-forum in the Classified forum for the likes of the Renpei/Cifani/Weird Ebayness threads rather than the Lounge ?

cedargirl
August 12th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Good idea!

Pelikan-Vera
August 12th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Yes that would be great.

Carole
August 13th, 2013, 12:25 AM
Very good idea!

Fwiw: when I first read the headline, I thought you were talking about a watch (i.e. timepiece) scam, and I thought-- doggone it, bad enough they mess with our fountain pens. Now they're getting felonious with Rolexes, too.

'Scamwatch' is a good name. (Flounder: I like the show 'Crimewatch', too! Don't know why I didn't make the connection at first, my bad.)

Paul-H
August 13th, 2013, 03:30 AM
Good idea and a list of known eBay scammers would be a good idea as well.

Paul

writingrav
August 13th, 2013, 04:04 AM
Agreed.

Laura N
August 13th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Good idea and a list of known eBay scammers would be a good idea as well.

Paul

I'd have to say that I disagree. Sadly, I think that's asking for trouble.

Dan has the Market Feedback forum with very strict rules for feedback on professionals. For these other issues -- where there is egregious behavior by other members or eBay sellers -- I personally think the current situation works well. I like putting it in the Lounge. JMHO.

Flounder
August 13th, 2013, 11:01 AM
when I first read the headline, I thought you were talking about a watch (i.e. timepiece) scam

Ah. The original thread was referencing the UK tv show Crimewatch. Maybe I should have gone with something more cosmopolitan.

The way things are at the moment, anyone using the Classifieds subforums would have to first have seek out and read threads in the Lounge to be forewarned. This is less of a problem now, as they're among the topmost Lounge posts. In the future, this might be a bigger deal, as the volume of posts increases and the visibility of the scam posts decreases.

I do feel that some sort of warning in the classifieds section is worth the trouble - if not in the form I've described earlier, any other is better than nothing. Especially and specifically now that Renpei has more free time on his hands.

Bogon07
August 14th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Ah. The original thread was referencing the UK tv show Crimewatch. Maybe I should have gone with something more cosmopolitan.

The way things are at the moment, anyone using the Classifieds subforums would have to first have seek out and read threads in the Lounge to be forewarned. This is less of a problem now, as they're among the topmost Lounge posts. In the future, this might be a bigger deal, as the volume of posts increases and the visibility of the scam posts decreases.

I do feel that some sort of warning in the classifieds section is worth the trouble - if not in the form I've described earlier, any other is better than nothing. Especially and specifically now that Renpei has more free time on his hands.

A warning section sub-forum would be a helpful reference spot and also reminder to treat any uneasy deals with caution. Hopefully there will not be too any threads there.
As Flouder says after a while the scam posts in the Lounge loose visibility and there there is a benefit of not having to dig around for them for both old and new forum members.