PDA

View Full Version : Goldfink Liebling aus Berlin

Jeph
August 13th, 2013, 03:20 PM
This Goldfink Liebling from Berlin is my latest restoration. The Liebling (“favorite” for a thing or “darling” for a person) was their next to bottom of the line fountain pen. It is a button filler with a steel nib. On the barrel is the imprint Goldfink – Liebling” in cursive. I have filled the imprint with talc for the picture. The nib is marked “Goldfink Berlin.” As expected, the (tan) sack was completely ossified, the pressure bar was rusted, all if the plating on the nib was gone (assuming it was ever there) and the nib was bent. As you can see in the pictures, I have not returned the nib to its original position, although I have gotten the tips aligned. There is a small nick at the initiation point of the bend on the left tine and as easily as this nib flexes I am very worried that much effort will crack the tine. This steel nib has an amazing amount of flex. That might be due to the amount of corrosion that was present on the bottom of the nib. It is still a neat little German fountain pen and my first button filler.

Goldfink Liebling Dimensions

Length 105 mm 4 5/32" 4.15 in
Posted Length 128 mm 5 " 5.05 in
Unposted length 96 mm 3 3/4 " 3.76 in
Barrel Length 80 mm 3 5/32" 3.16 in
Cap Length 51 mm 2 " 2.01 in
Barrel Max Dia 11.8 mm 15/32" 0.46 in
Section Min Dia 8.0 mm 5/16" 0.31 in
Section Length 12.5 mm 1/2 " 0.50 in

Jeph
August 22nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Update: I did some more work on straightening the nib and it is about as good as my skills are capable of. If I get carried away letting it flex one nib likes to catch on the other and I have to pop them back into place. The simple solution would be to not flex it, but it takes so little extra pressure that I do it constantly. Also, while the nib is smooth, it is LOUD! It is not as bad on good paper, but on cheap papers it is annoyingly loud. I don't understand how I can have a smooth nib with that much feedback. If anyone has insight into possible causes of that I would appreciate hearing about it.

Jeph
August 23rd, 2013, 01:19 AM
And with a (bad) writing sample.

Ismaeldallastx
August 4th, 2023, 05:07 PM
I realize this post is a decade ago... But all the same it's an excellent review... lovely pen.