PDA

View Full Version : What model is this Waterman?

FredRydr
April 4th, 2022, 03:45 PM
What model is this smooth black hard rubber bandless Waterman? There is nothing on the barrel or cap other than Waterman's and Made in England. The Waterman's clip looks like a late '30s Thorobred.

What is the explanation for the lack of a Waterman lever box? Were patent protections not an issue for wartime pen production in the UK after September '39? Or had Waterman's in the UK acquired other patent rights or took advantage of another's patent expiration while still churning out lever boxes in North America?

The nib is a USA-made purple nib, and it's speculation when that found its way into this pen.

Scrawler
April 4th, 2022, 07:54 PM
The lever is more Mabie Todd than Waterman.

jar
April 5th, 2022, 06:46 AM
Could that be a 'thoroughly bred' pen? Are there any markings on the body? Is it possible that it's not just the child of a Handsome Stranger but rather a traveling troupe?

FredRydr
April 5th, 2022, 07:40 AM
...Are there any markings on the body?...
The end of the barrel lacks even a ghost of a number. This is all to be found on cap and barrel (pardon the chalk dust). Note that there is no logo, globe, fancy font or "Ideal." Perhaps Waterman's Ltd. contracted some production to a competitor.

eachan
April 5th, 2022, 10:11 AM
These pens are quite common on this side of the Atlantic, probably made by Altura for Waterman. Pre-war, I think.

FredRydr
April 5th, 2022, 10:50 AM
These pens are quite common on this side of the Atlantic, probably made by Altura for Waterman. Pre-war, I think.
Do they typically have a USA nib?

eachan
April 5th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Do they typically have a USA nib?

No. That's a replacement.