PDA

View Full Version : Waterman Man 100 converter

MarcoA64
April 6th, 2022, 02:21 PM
The converter of my Man 100 has a cracked collar. Does this pen use standard cartridges and hence any converter could do or Waterman uses specific cartridges/converters? I tried a Beaufort converter, it fits nicely on the cartridge nipple but is too thick and doesn't allow the body to fit over it. Ideas?
Thank you
Marco

Chrissy
April 6th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Waterman pens use Waterman proprietary long cartridges or converter.

Stands on Feet
April 6th, 2022, 05:30 PM
Chrissy,
Are you sure? Anderson Pens says this:
"Waterman fountain pen ink is available in ink cartridges, in the standard international short and standard international long sizes."
Hal

Chrissy
April 6th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Chrissy,
Are you sure? Anderson Pens says this:
"Waterman fountain pen ink is available in ink cartridges, in the standard international short and standard international long sizes."
Hal
Goulet Pens Cartridge/Compatibility Guide (http://www.gouletpens.com/pages/cartridge-converter-guide)
They say International sized cartridges will fit.

I read that OP wanted a replacement converter. If so I believe he needs a Waterman converter. They always used to be proprietary. It's possible that's changed with newer model pens and maybe you can force International standard ones on if you try. I use Waterman proprietary converters in all of my Waterman pens and have always done so.

If I was fortunate enough to own such a valuable pen as a Waterman Man 100 I would never try forcing an International standard converter onto it's nipple. Once that nipple is broken off there are no replacement parts to be found.

MarcoA64
April 7th, 2022, 02:06 AM
I want a converter that fits properly on the nipple. I can't chance getting something that does not fit or I have to force on it. It is 'strange' though that Goulet Pens' table says the converter is proprietary but the cartridges are Standard International. Don't understand it.

Chrissy
April 7th, 2022, 04:40 AM
I want a converter that fits properly on the nipple. I can't chance getting something that does not fit or I have to force on it. It is 'strange' though that Goulet Pens' table says the converter is proprietary but the cartridges are Standard International. Don't understand it.
The converter has a harder end than cartridges since multiple reuse is expected. Cartridges are made from more flexible materials. There may also be a difference in diameter for the converter. If it was my pen I would never try any converter that wasn't a Waterman one. YMMV.

MarcoA64
April 7th, 2022, 10:55 AM
At the moment I've stuck in it a Pelikan cartridge, working fine. I'll get a converter when all my old cartridges are finished.

pajaro
April 9th, 2022, 09:49 PM
Old with old. Why rush things?

MarcoA64
April 11th, 2022, 02:02 AM
I have seen other Man 100s and they have the same converter I want to replace. Some people say that it needs a screw in converter but the hole where the converter and cartridge fit is smooth. Attached photo of present converter that needs replacing

Chrissy
April 11th, 2022, 04:00 AM
That converter will work. There is also an original version that has what looks like a metal screw thread at the bottom end. That will also work as it still just pushes in with a very slight twist if you like and would have been the version that originally came with the pen. They don't tend to split at the end as easily as the one you have.

MarcoA64
April 11th, 2022, 04:24 AM
Chrissy, I totally agree with you. How come the plastic splits if the converter is always left in place is still a mystery to me

Jon Szanto
April 11th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Chrissy, I totally agree with you. How come the plastic splits if the converter is always left in place is still a mystery to me

It is the same way with a section crack. Just because the parts are all in place and not moving does not mean those parts don’t still have stress at work. A nib and feed, friction fit, are always exerting outward pressure on the section, and at times they will crack. The same could happen with the tight fit of the nipple, pressing outward on the walls of the front of the converter where it grips the nipple tightly. Over time, the rubber fatigues and gives way.

MarcoA64
April 17th, 2022, 07:09 AM
@Chrissy, @Jon thank you

Chrissy
April 17th, 2022, 10:22 AM
@Chrissy, @Jon thank you
Easier to just press Thanks. :))

MarcoA64
April 19th, 2022, 01:43 PM
don't have the option on my mobile phone

Chrissy
April 19th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Really? OK sorry. I thought everyone could see the Thanks thumbs up on members posts. :(

MarcoA64
April 20th, 2022, 01:06 AM
the 'thumbs up' I can see now as I'm using my laptop :-)
I mostly use my phone to browse forums, I do it in my free time, as when I've finished working computers are a nono

abel1303
June 26th, 2023, 12:59 AM
If your converter's collar is cracked, it is advisable to replace it with a genuine Waterman converter. Using a compatible converter from another brand may not provide the same fit and functionality. You can reach out to Waterman or authorized Waterman retailers to obtain a replacement converter for your Man 100 pen. Mini Crossword (https://theminicrossword.com)

Chrissy
June 26th, 2023, 04:44 AM
abel the spammer who talks drivel was reported