PDA

View Full Version : Kakimori Kurun pigment ink

Yazeh
April 6th, 2022, 06:39 PM
Rejoice permanent ink lovers, another player is in the game :)

Kakimori (https://kakimori.com/en) is a stationary shop in Tokyo Japan.

They have a range of inks and stationery, which epitomizes Japanese minimalism and elegance. They also make personalized handmade inks and notebooks.
As of now their inks are available from Vanness in USA, and Laywines/Phidon in Canada, La Couronne du Comte/ Stilo e stile in in Europe and obviously their own shop in Japan.

My apologies for these low quality photos..

Packaging:

They have a wide range of pigment inks, which are all waterproof. The bottles are truly beautiful, solid with a big opening and minimal packaging which embodies their sustainability motive.

First off, there’s a warning note in the packaging about clogging. It reminds me of Super5 inks, which recommend to to use their own pens.
Being used to notoriously naughty inks, I inked several pens and hoped for the best :D

The ink in a nutshell: Good for M nibs and above, low lubrication with F/Ef nibs. Long dry times. Nice Shading. Beautiful bottle (though one doesn't write with a bottle, though that's debatable ;))

According to their website: Kurun depicts the dance of a vine's curling tendrils. A green that captures both vitality and a sense of calm.

#6 fude nib/ reverse fude nib / TR 68gr paper

I would say, the greatest issue with this ink is long dry times and lack of lubircation with fine /Ef nibs

TR 68gr /EF/F//Reverse Broad/ Broad
While ink looks pale it is quite legible, despite the scan. However the writing experience is best with broad. Sketch was done with a safari fine nib. 68878

TR 68 gr/Ahab /Medium
Dry time is very long on TR 68 gr, less on Midori, acceptable on Rhodia, good on Apica and immediate on Field Notes.
Midori
I don’t like long dry times for inks, but I found myself reaching for this ink over and over again refilling my testing Safari,for the past 3 months. The combination works fine as I can use both broad and reverse broad creating a fine line when needed. And ironically, I liked the smudging.
However, when I switched the safari broad nib for a fine, the pen became scratchy, lubrication non-existent. I didn't like the writing experience.

I think artists would love this ink.

Chroma:

· Pens used: Lamy Safrai broad/ fine/ Jinhao fude nib/ Medium/ No name EF/ Ahab flex
· Shading: Depending nib and paper.
· Ghosting: Yes on absorbent paper like Field Notes with a broad nib.
· Bleed through: Same as above.
· Flow Rate: Alright...
· Lubrication: On the dry side.
· Nib Dry-out: Not noticed
· Start-up: Not noticed
· Saturation: Muted green.
· Shading Potential: Yes
· Sheen: None
· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed
· Nib Creep / “Crud”: No
· Staining (pen): I doubt it.
· Clogging: Only time will say. But none so far.
· Water resistance: Excellent
· Availability: 30 ml bottles

More scans and photos to follow...

DrPenfection
April 6th, 2022, 07:10 PM
Wonderful review, Yazeh! Thank you for doing it! It is a beautiful color. But, like you, I do not care for long dry times. While it is a lovely ink with wonderful shading, I think I will pass on this one.

Lloyd
April 6th, 2022, 08:40 PM
I don't mind long dry times, but I primarily use fine and finer than fine nibs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yazeh
April 7th, 2022, 04:07 AM
Wonderful review, Yazeh! Thank you for doing it! It is a beautiful color. But, like you, I do not care for long dry times. While it is a lovely ink with wonderful shading, I think I will pass on this one.
Most welcome. Yeah, it's a bummer the long drying time. But I still can't help using it :)

I don't mind long dry times, but I primarily use fine and finer than fine nibs.

Yeah, it's sort of iffy in finer nibs, in my experience. Unless it's a nice wet pen. Dry times however, are acceptable with fine/Ef nibs :)

Yazeh
April 7th, 2022, 04:28 AM
Comparison

Watertest Note the right side was held under running water

A tiny sketch -

An artsy calligraphic text, on Apica... using the smudging judiciously... :)