PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for improving some inks?

jor412
January 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Ink color is a matter of preference so I don't mean to insult anyone's preferred ink but there are three inks I have right now that I just don't like: Pelikan Royal Blue, Pelikan Brown, and Lamy Green. I find all of them a bit too pale. I'd like to improve them so I don't dump them in the sink :p So far, I've tried adding a little Waterman black to a small quantity of each. It seems to work all right for the Lamy green. But the Pelikan brown either gets too dark and Pelikan Royal Blue looks like poor variety of blue-black. If any of you have mixed these inks in some interesting way, please do share your recipe.

eriquito
January 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I've never had or mixed these inks, but if I had Pelikan Royal Blue that I thought too pale, I'd probably mix it with some Aurora Blue or even Waterman Florida Blue to see if that helped.

Pelikan Brown will probably turn to black easily unless mixed with another brown of some kind. Perhaps Visconti Sepia?

Just ideas... no experience with these inks but perfectly willing to play =)

jor412
January 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I do have some Florida Blue left which I can spare on a little experiment. :) For the brown, I'll have to try something else. I've no other browns than Herbins -- lie de the & cacao du bresil -- which I was told don't mix too well with other inks.

Alohamora
April 14th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I did the same as you with Lamy green. A couple drops of black made it a much more usable color for me.
I don't have the pelican royal blue, but with some other pale blues I've added a few drops of purple to yield a more interesting color.