PDA

View Full Version : Who Votes vs Who Decides in America

Chuck Naill
April 17th, 2022, 06:34 AM
I came across this concept in an op-ed. We can argue if needed, but I think most would agree that every citizen of age should vote in a liberal democracy, even the under informed.

However, not everyone should decide. For example, popular votes cannot decide a pandemic policy, how fast you can drive on your street, where a tornado is tracking, if a school can retain a mascot connected to a Native American, or a host of other issues where we would prefer to allow those that know make the decision.

Thoughts.

SIR
April 20th, 2022, 12:23 PM
in a so-called 'representative democracy' one votes for another to make one's decisions for one's self, such another currently needs have no qualifications or experience in governance and apparently can belong to a group who is authorised to overrule their 'local' opinion in favour of 'national' interests...

personally, if i can't have a limited executive for emergency decisions and referendums for all other local and national decisions, what is the difference to an absolute monarchy?

TSherbs
April 20th, 2022, 03:55 PM
...., what is the difference to an absolute monarchy?

Elections and term limits. Impeachment powers. Three branches of government with separation of powers.