PDA

View Full Version : Eyeing my first Stipula

cjabbott
April 18th, 2022, 07:40 AM
Hello All!

I’ll probably face some teasing for saying this, but I’ve never owned a Stipula. I don’t know why, I’ve just never really been that drawn to them (there’s always been others I’ve wanted more, i.e. Delta or Visconti). Tastes change, I suppose, because I’m seriously considering an Etruria.

I’ve pretty much decided on a wild honey or pirite. The wild honey material is gorgeous, but I can’t seem to find one with chrome, which is preferable. The wild honey is well documented out there, but there don’t seem to be nearly as many first hand accounts of the pirite. Can anyone help with that?

Also, the wild honey material appears a bit transparent. Is ink visibility through the section an issue? (I’m not really a fan of that and I worry staining may be an issue.)

Thanks!

Dougc
April 18th, 2022, 08:51 AM
I have 11 Stipulas and love them all but be aware that they tend to be fussy.

Make sure the vendor has a liberal exchange policy.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

AlohaPens
April 18th, 2022, 02:47 PM
I have a "wild honey" etruria magnifica and it really is striking material. I did have some issues with ink appearing in the section, but I cleaned it out and adjusted the nib section unit and it's been OK since. I got the steel elastic nib, which just wasn't very satisfying, so i swapped it for a F and I enjoy using it a lot. Personally (and this is all personal opinion, of course :), I think the gold trim complements this material well. Here is an picture in my files with a few other pens in my collection.

Good luck in your search!

scot

Chrissy
April 19th, 2022, 01:19 AM
I have a Stiplua Etruria but it's darker than wild honey and is opaque. The trim isn't chrome but is solid silver and it has an 18ct platinised stub nib. It's a fabulous pen and always performed well though I haven't used it for years.

cjabbott
April 25th, 2022, 10:21 PM
Thank you all for the input! *I finally decided on an Etruria Magnifica in pyrite with medium nib. *I plan to post pics and initial impressions upon arrival.

AlohaPens
April 26th, 2022, 12:59 AM
Nice. Looking forward to reading your thoughts!
-scot

cjabbott
May 2nd, 2022, 05:53 PM
Well, it arrived this afternoon. I haven’t done much writing yet, but I’m very happy so far! The medium nib is a bit narrower than I usually like (I did not flush the pen in any way before inking). I’m using Monteverde brown and find the flow a tad less generous than I normally like, but I think I’m going to like the writing experience!

This may have been a bit precious of me, but I asked the seller to try and pick one for me with less gold and more black & cream. I’m kind of glad they didn’t listen, though. I really like this material!!

So far, I really like my first Stipula and don’t think it will be my last!

AlohaPens
May 2nd, 2022, 06:57 PM
Hard not to like that. Enjoy!

Dougc
May 3rd, 2022, 10:10 AM
I think that mix of colors is spot on.
Very nice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk