PDA

View Full Version : New Sailor nibs

Barry Gabay
April 18th, 2022, 05:07 PM
Sailor's KoP nibs have recently been changed. There is a new nib design which does not include the long-familiar 1911 engraving. Shown below are photos of an older KoP nib with last year's nib and a very recent one. There are also photos of the new nib in rhodium plating and in all-yellow gold compared to slightly older nibs. These are marked B and M, as are all KoP nibs with the exception of Sailor's specialty KoP nibs. Thanks for looking.

Azulcaneta
April 18th, 2022, 06:36 PM
is there a difference in performance?

Barry Gabay
April 19th, 2022, 04:49 PM
Hello, No difference in performance. Same excellent Sailor quality. Same nib, different appearance.

AlohaPens
April 20th, 2022, 12:00 AM
Glad they still write well. I do prefer the older design, though.

christof
April 20th, 2022, 01:09 AM
I would have preferred to keep the older and more classic anchor logo.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52017262789_5eeb99fd54_c.jpg

The new logo is a bit too stylized in my opinion. But still they remain fantastic nibs!

Cool Breeze
April 20th, 2022, 03:04 PM
Love the old design of both the anchor and "1911" font. New design looks too "modern" - I like my fountain pens for the old world charm they evoke (especially for classic pens such as the KOP). Just a personal preference.

Prettypenguin
April 22nd, 2022, 01:33 PM
I like that it’s moving away from the Mont Blanc look by taking away the numbers. I think both anchor logos have their merits. I’m surprised they kept the border. Honestly, both designs are lookers.

Linger
May 22nd, 2022, 02:55 AM
Same here. I was hesitant at first, as I am primarily drawn towards the “old/historical” element of fountain pens and then specifically the ancient technique of urushi, to which the original logo and lettering fitted well. But then, it did look a bit like a MB knockoff, and the new logo and lettering is stylized and fresh and minimalistic, so I came around to it. Change is inevitable.

Cyril
May 24th, 2022, 06:14 PM
I just had a look at my all Sailor pens They all have this older nibs. Older nibs looks more beautiful but I am sure older or new nibs have the same quality of writing.
I know Sailor has changed it logo to a new one now. That is why this change in nibs design has taken place. But it is too pity that sailor did it that way.

jar
May 25th, 2022, 07:59 AM
I wonder about the reasoning? It does seem that the earlier designs are stamped; are the new ones laser etched? Is it a cost saving decision so that they do not have to replace molds as often?

Zhivago
September 29th, 2022, 12:40 PM
I wonder about the reasoning? It does seem that the earlier designs are stamped; are the new ones laser etched? Is it a cost saving decision so that they do not have to replace molds as often?

That is what a Japanese pen seller recently suggested to me.